Looking for a nice LED flashlight

BlueMars

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone suggest a really nice LED light for around $50-$70?

I'm new to this area!

Thanks

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Uh-oh...did you just open a can of worms! :ohgeez::D

There are many different lights - just as there are many different screwdrivers for different jobs.

What do you want to do with your light? Do you want to use it for stumbling around the house at night, throw a spot 150 yards, search & rescue, long running emergency light...on and on and on...

Perhaps a nice two brightness level (or multi brightness levels?) would get you started?

Go over to our own "Reviews Forum" and read through the posts, here's a post over there that will certainly give you a lot of links worth checking out!

BlueMars

Newly Enlightened
I want something really bright and blue-ish in colour (my favourite colour). For walking around in the forest at night and can see a noticeable beam :p

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, do you want sidespill so that you can see a large close-up area too, or would a spot with no spill work?

-David

BlueMars

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the site.

I know it's alot of reviews, I'm just wondering if anyone has any favourites with the description mentioned above. I just want a beam, no spill really.

Thanks

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The River Rock lights at Target (well 2AA and 2C anyhow) have just what you want. A moon beam with zero spill (or so little as to SEEM zero).

In another thread I am experimenting with smoothing the beam. It looks like two layers of Scotch Satin tape are smooth with no significant decrease in output.

aceo07

Enlightened
What size and what batteries?

Walk in forest with just a beam and not spill? When I go camping I prefer the flashlight with more spill. Easier to see what's around me. During foggy nights, the flashlight with a tight beam is cool to wave around.. :)

randman

Banned
make it easy. go with a surefire that fits your budget the best. you won't be sorry. Even the smallest is superb.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Get a Surefire A2 Aviator.

It's a classic and you'll never regret it. Its strong-and-balanced incan + modest LED versatility covers all the bases for nights in the woods under various weather conditions... plus most other tasks and emergency uses. While I love my LED lights, a bright-white incan gives better differentiation in dense vegetation.

Avoid lights that have pure long Throw, because you'll get dangerous tunnel vision (although a long-runtime/mid-range Inova T2 would make a good back-up). Also avoid pure potent Flood/Spill lights, because they'll damage your night vision.

Just pack an extra set of batteries -- always a good idea no matter what light you're carrying -- AND a back-up flashlight, especially if you're alone... or the only member of your party with ANY light.

Once you do a bunch of reading/research (i.e., FlashlightReviews.com, LEDMuseum, plus a few weeks on THIS website) and "field test" (hands-on, OR vicariously) several flashllights, you'll find that no one light is perfect for all tasks. That's when you'll be on your way to becoming an incorrigible flashaholic.

There's no going back to "The Land Of The Illumination-Illiterate Sheeple!"

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED, very bright, no spill, blue-ish, $50-$70. You didn't specify batteries, size, switch type, material, etc.

As was stated above, some spill would be helpful in the woods--I prefer it when I hike. My personal choices are my Badboy 400's, Madmaxes, UK4AALED, Streamlight 4AA7LED, Streamlight TL2 LED, Infinity Ultra and ARC AAA. I have easily used the last two in quality dark in Northern Michigan.

For your needs, Inova makes lights that have relatively little spill using an optic called the Tiros (I think!). Many people love the Inova T1, T2, T3 and T4, as well as the Inova XO and XO3. Look at the LED Museum and Flashlightreviews for more info. They require 123 bats, which are expensive unless you buy in bulk online.

The Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon 4AA/3C might fit the bill. It has a very intense spot, with some spill. It is a favorite around here.

Elektrolumens sells some nice lights using special optics that have a tight beam. Bright too.

Many choices...hang on to your wallet!

Bob

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto the Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA. It's relatively inexpensive, high quality, nice feel, tough, good run time, beautiful beam pattern, great throw (range), uses common AA batteries. Note it's available in all-black, or yellow body. About $30.

Much more compact, the Nuwai Quantum III is very nice. Somewhat broader beam, more useful for walking at night. Good quality feel, handles well.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_q-3.htm

Step up to $50-$70, and the Streamlight Scorpion LED gives about the same performance as the Lux 4AA, but in a smaller package (about Minimag size).

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_scorpionled.htm

Walking at night, a multiple-level output light can be very useful. Full output can sometimes be too bright. The Streamlight Tasklight 2L is a possibility, about $71:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_tasklight_2l.htm

Danintex

Enlightened
I have to put in for a T3. Relatively small, light, and a killer beam. It's not 82 lumens as advertised, but I'd still say 55-60. The cliky switch is the best I've seen, and I love the feel. However, I had just modded my L5 for 2-stage when I got lost in southern CO and that paid for itself right there. Makes a long night just a little bit better!

txmatt

Enlightened
My personal preference is for adjustable output and rechargeable batteries.

While the Q3 and SL Propoly Lux are great lights, firing one up in a tent in the middle of the night would light it up pretty bright. You either end up carefully covering the end with your hand or having another small, low powered light for dim lighting requirements. This is where adjustable lights are handy.

Rechargeable batteries let you play for free after the initial purchase.

I've really liked the VB-16 light recently introduced and being sold by Waion (see Dealer's Corner forum) and others. It's a Lux 3 with ~16 levels and can be run of CR123 batteries or a rechargeable 18650. With the VB-16 currently available for as little as $30, that gives you enough money left over to buy CR123's in bulk or AW's 2200 mAh 18650 rechargeables and charger.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I think the SL Scorpion or the Inovas are likely your best bet. The QIII is a great light but it has nice spill, which I like. An outside shot is the Surefire E1L. It is a little outside your budget at about $90 new. But it is really nice and a really tight beam. Got one lask night and it is pretty slick.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Danintex said:
I have to put in for a T3. Relatively small, light, and a killer beam. It's not 82 lumens as advertised, but I'd still say 55-60.

I second the recommendation, even though I think it has about 40 lumens.

-David