R123s in Nuwai HLX-712L?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering buying this headlamp as it has gotten great reviews, but I need to know if it'll be safe to use protected R123s in it before I purchase it.
cr123s are very expensive here in Norway and I have a few protected R123s from batterystation that I want to use...

Sverre

aceo07

Enlightened
Let me know if you find out. I have that headlamp too. I've already fried 2 flashlights trying out my R123s so I'm less tempted to test this one.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping somebody had already tried this. Not eager to order one, getting it shipped to Norway and then frying it....
I'm using R123s in my HDS and Q3, but I still have 2 extra I wanted to put in a headlight...
Anybody????

Sverre

Luxson

Newly Enlightened
I have the 3 watt version HLX 032L and I have used it with rechargables R123 without any problem. In my opinion, this light is rather underated. It has a nice smooth beams with good balance of flood and spot.

There don't seems to be any different in brightness by using disposable 3v CR123 and 3.6v R123. I guess the electronic is handling the excess voltage well. But bear in mind that the HLX 712 is using current regulated circuit and HLX 32L is using PWM. I suppose current regulated are better in restricting current that will fried your led, maybe the electronic experts can give some light. So far these Nuwai electronic seems to handle R123 well like ALX 352 using 2 x R123. Good luck.

MountainJJ

Newly Enlightened
Aceo07, Which lamps have you fried with Rechargable 123 cells. I'm also experimenting and have had good results with my Nuwai Q3 thus far. Likely only about 2 hours run time on it but it works great.

mountainjj

T

TeX

HLX-712L with two 650 mAh recharable CR123:

Got mine yesterday and went for a 1,5 hours jogging-tour.
Used the lite 90% of the time on low, ´cause that´s def. enough lite.

The lite worked fine. No problems with the accus.

Do it on your own risk, but the regulations seems to work well. I will go on using the recharable C123.

Greets
TeX

However, I do have a Q-III as a backup lite fixed on the back of my glove :)

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the HLX-712L 3 watts or 1.x? I can find references for that number showing both values and the LEDmuseum has two reviews with the same HLX-712L ID.

If I've sworn off buying flashlights for a while can I buy a headlight and not sin?

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HLX-712L is 1watt. (smirk) And yes, clearly you can buy it since it's billed as a headlamp.

Ned-L

Enlightened
Luxon,

Do you use the Nuwai 352 with rechargeable batteries? If so, whose rechargeables do you use and have you noted burn times at the various output settings? I am thinking about getting two 352's to use for mountain biking and would appreciate your input. Thanks, Ned

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to see if others have tried RCR123's with the Nuwai HLX-712L 1 watt headlamp.

Also wanted to ask what the advantages the Nuwai 352 has over the 712. According to LEDMuseum, the output is about the same.

Luxson

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the late reply. Ned-L, yes I use 352 with rechargable batteries. I hope you are referring to the 5watt ALX 352 handtorch. The batteries are the 700mah protected R123 I got from AW. you can find his post at CPF dealers corner. My estimation of run time is 35mins on high, 85mins on med. With its own batteries, the run time is too short for biking. I am also an avid mountain biker, I ever fix the 352 on the handle bar and connect to a self make adaptor and power it with 6v lead acid batteries. I find this setup a little inconvenient and heavy.I make myself a direct drive 3watt TYOK bin on a cateye body(handle mount). Using proper heat sink and a 17mm IMS len will give you a very ideal beam for biking. I use 3AAx2500mah Sanyo rechargables that can last 2hr. I strap the HLX032 3watt haedlamp on my helmet with double sided velcro. On most occasion, I only need to use medium in total darkness.

Nuwai 032 is a good headlamp, the only shortcoming is the switching process which needs to go cycle unlike EOS and its PWM dimming circuit. On the other hand, the 3w emitter doesn't seems to be under driven at all, I wonder how it manage it's heat.

Sinjz, according to my 'bio-light meter', the HLX032 3watt headlamp( I think you are refering to this rather than 352 which is a 5 watt handtorch) is way brighter than 712. LEDmuseum could have measured its hot spot which is about the same. the overall output is a different matter. And luxeon lottery could play a part too. Happy hunting. :)

Last edited:

InTheDark

Enlightened
TeX said:
HLX-712L with two 650 mAh recharable CR123:

Got mine yesterday and went for a 1,5 hours jogging-tour.
Used the lite 90% of the time on low, ´cause that´s def. enough lite.

The lite worked fine. No problems with the accus.

Do it on your own risk, but the regulations seems to work well. I will go on using the recharable C123.

Greets
TeX

However, I do have a Q-III as a backup lite fixed on the back of my glove :)

Bringing up an old thread, but which rechargable batteries are people talking about? Are they the 3.6v or the 3V? I just ordered some R123 3.6V to use in some other lights, but I also want to know if they will safely work in the HLX-712L. THanks

iced_theater

Enlightened
I've used 3.0 volt RCR's on mine and they work fine for me. I've tried 3.6 volt RCR's and it turned on and worked fine, but I didn't leave it on for an extended period since I didn't want to attempt frying my Led. I'll probably try it when I go and buy a Stenlight S7 and have the ultimate led headlamp.

InTheDark

Enlightened
thanks for the clarification. I just recieved my 3.6V R123's, so far they work pretty well in my other lights, I'm going to try them in the headlamp tonight

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
InTheDark said:
thanks for the clarification. I just recieved my 3.6V R123's, so far they work pretty well in my other lights, I'm going to try them in the headlamp tonight

:grin2::naughty::grin2: Well ..... are you still "InTheDark" :candle: ?????

Or did the 712L work on 3.6V R123's ,,..... and light your way ????

I hope they worked - I just ordered the 712L because "Quickbeam" recomended it in his top picks . I hope mine runs on Hi for 5 hours.

Does anyone know the runtime on Hi using 3.6V R123's .

Are you impressed with the 712L ????

..................................... TMG/:grin2:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was so impressed with my 712L that I bought another two. My only quibble is that it's pretty green-tinted, but headlamps aren't made for WWH; they're meant to be USED.

Windscale

Enlightened
So, after so many contributions to this thread, Has anyone actually put rechargeable 123As into the light? Please tell us.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:):grin2::)

InTheDark , said he was going to try it .........

so I'm waiting on his report .....

should be hearing from him soon ........... I hope .

...................... TMG/:grin2:

InTheDark

Enlightened
Sorry about that, I tried replying to this post a couple of times but it never went through, so I gave up.

Anyway, I did try it, and it works fine. I left i running for about 40 minutes just to make sure there were no thermal issues, I didn't notice any. When removing the batteries, I thought I smelled something funny, and was afraid that I might have burned something. So I took apart the headlamp, and carefully inspected the circuit to make sure there was no damage. None noticed. Ran it on high for about 5 minutes and check the circuit for any heat. None noticed. Felt the top of the LED for excessive heat (not very scientific, but I was in a hurry), and the LED seemed ok. I think I was just being overly paranoid and imagining it, because after carefully smelling it again I didn't smell anything abnormal. Most likely it was the new battery smell. I'm just glad nobody walked in on me while I was agressively sniffing my headlamp, they would've thought it was pretty weird.

Anyway, I'd say it's pretty safe to run the 712L on rechargable 3.6V batteries. If i have time, I'll try a quick and dirty runtime test during my next night hike. I'm curious to see what happens when the batteries are nearly drained, and whether I'll still have enough power for medium and low modes. In terms of runtimes, I'd probably expect about 2.5 hours on high. The stated nuwai runtimes are pretty accurate for primarly lithiums (5 hours high), so a rechargable has about half the capacity, so about half the runtime.

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:):grin2::)

:thanks::bow::bow::bow: .... InTheDark ....:twothumbs:thumbsup:.

Thanks for being so gutsy ....... and taking the .:poof: chance for us all .

Did you notice if it was a little brighter (initially) when using R-CR's rather than Primaries.

Does it drop out of direct drive and then go into regulation ??? can you tell when it does ???

Thanks for giving us these reports .................. TMG/:grin2: