Luxeon III emitter quality problems!

zelda

Enlightened
I happens now the second time, that a Lux3 Emitter during tests lost the body.
Christo_pull_hair.gif

emitter.jpg

The surface is polished and Nickel-plated.The glue cannot sticking on this polished surface.

Am i not allone with this problem?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
What 'tests' were you doing? :D I've only encountered this a couple of times. It happened when I tried to remove an emitter from a heatsink with a jeweller's screw driver after it has been epoxied down. The slug (silver bit) was stuck onto the heatsink and the black plastic came off.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The plastic body is not made to handle any force pulling upwards from the slug. I think most modders have killed a luxeon this way

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
zelda said:
Is that picture from a new Lux3 or K2?

The new ones don't have this problem.

Not the K2. It's from the LUMILED's data sheet on the change in the heatsink slug. It affects a bunch of part numbers. Look for a circular slug on the bottom. Both sets of images are from the LLED pdf.

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened
If I think I will need to remove an emitter later, I make sure I only get the thermal epoxy on the slug and not on the plastic part. When removing the emitter, use a very small flathead screwdriver and make sure it doesn't touch the plastic body when trying to pry the slug off your heatsink.

When typing the above, I got an idea:
Use normal heatsink compound on the slug, but apply superglue just on the bottom of the plastic body. This way, a few drops of acetone will break down the superglue, and free the emitter. I have used acetone on the plastic body of a Luxeon, and it did not melt, but the dome was removed from the emitter, so keep the acetone off of the dome as I don't know if acetone will react (melt) with that.
YMMV

-Ross

greenLED

Flashaholic
zelda said:
The surface is polished and Nickel-plated.The glue cannot sticking on this polished surface.

What kind of "glue" are you using? If it's epoxy, it'll continue to happen, no matter what you do (at least that's what's hapenned to me). Maybe you can try using AA paste instead of epoxy? The emitter will only be held in place by the soldered wires and the reflector (or optic).

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rossitron: To remove an emitter, use a flat razor blade. Like the ones you buy in bulk packs for scrapers. Heat the HS as best as you can, or leave it in the sun for a while. Slide the razor blade under the luxeon keeping pressure on it so it bends flat to the HS. You work it back and forth, trying to "cut" through the epoxy. Becarefull as your're applying force, as it will all of a sudden break free and shear off and fly across the room! (and your hand/razor will smack into anything else in the way). I've successfully removed a RB emitter this way. (heated the aluinum HS with a zippo, as that's all I had!).

Chimo: Cool info, I haven't checked the data sheets in a while. Notice how the new design the black case holds onto the back of the slug. That may or may not add much force (it can still flex and pop out), but Mainly see how the HS comes flush with the case and has an area where you could pry up directly on the HS slug. Pretty cool. Bad for existing centerting HS's though! :)

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are working on new designs for the O-Sink just for the K2 emitter. Our plans include using copper as the material for the first run of sinks.
This is what samples are for.
Yaesumofo

IsaacHayes said:
Rossitron: To remove an emitter, use a flat razor blade. Like the ones you buy in bulk packs for scrapers. Heat the HS as best as you can, or leave it in the sun for a while. Slide the razor blade under the luxeon keeping pressure on it so it bends flat to the HS. You work it back and forth, trying to "cut" through the epoxy. Becarefull as your're applying force, as it will all of a sudden break free and shear off and fly across the room! (and your hand/razor will smack into anything else in the way). I've successfully removed a RB emitter this way. (heated the aluinum HS with a zippo, as that's all I had!).

Chimo: Cool info, I haven't checked the data sheets in a while. Notice how the new design the black case holds onto the back of the slug. That may or may not add much force (it can still flex and pop out), but Mainly see how the HS comes flush with the case and has an area where you could pry up directly on the HS slug. Pretty cool. Bad for existing centerting HS's though! :)