Brightest Bulb to fit in a stock Mag2C

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a kickass bulb to put in a Mag2C.Also interested to know which battery setups will be best.
I am thinking 3CR123 or 2x18650 Li-ions.

Also interested in a good Reflector to match it.
I am not to concerned about runtime ;)

Thank you for sharing :)

Benny

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll give you something I'm quite sure nobody has suggested before. Use two Saphion Li-Ion cells. These can run any high current bulb and has a lower voltage so you have other bulb options than you normally have with Li-Ions. These should be perfect for running the WA1160 bulb.
Here is the rerated numbers for the 1160 running on two Saphions:
MPV=6.25V, Bulb lumens=713, Torch lumens=463, Runtime=16 minutes, Lamp life=38 hours

However, I have no idea on how to charge the Saphion cells.

Sigbjoern

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
HEY!

A Norwegian:rock:

Thanks for the tip,
when i said runtime didnt matter i may have lost my toungue...16 min runtime...OMG.
Will these bulbs fit in the stock Mag 2C without modifications?
Can you please direct me to a supplyer that have these items.

Thank you,
Benny

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want much less pain and an easier solution to get, then getting a potted CA1057 or CA1499 bulb from Litho123, that you can just drop into the Mag without modification, is the way to go. They can both run on 3xCR123. CA1499 can run on two protected 18650 cells, but CA1057 uses too much current, so it have to run on 2xPila168A cells instead. According to Litho123 you may be able to run the bulbs without having to get a metal reflector, so this may be a very cheap solution. Both bulbs should give you ca. 1 hour runtime on Li-Ion cells, and 20-30 minutes on CR123.
CA1499 is out of stock, I don't know if he will restock.

I don't know what lights you have experience from before, but these bulbs are probably more than bright enough for you.

Sigbjoern

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks man,

So it will be safe to use the potted Carley 1057 with 3xCR123.
I saw that the max Voltage was 7.2V...3xCR123 =9V 2x 18500=8.4V

What will the aprox bulb lifetime be when running them at 8.4V?

I also saw these :
POTTED WA 01274...will they work with 3xCR123/2x18500`s?
I guess i will need an aluminum reflector for this one. ;)

Thanks,
Benny

Last edited:

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR123 will not hold 3V under load, if you look at the 2A discharge curves in Silverfox's 123 shoot out, then you will see that the cells have an actual MPV (Mid Point Voltage) of 2.15V to 2.35V. For 3 cells that is 6.45V to 7.05V. It is perfectly safe to run CA1057 at those voltages.

You should not use CR123 batteries for more than 2A, so forget about the WA1274 bulb.

I don't know what the limit is on the 18500 cells, but I think it may be less than the 18650 cells, but I tested it with the CA1499 bulb and it worked fine. The 18500 cells will have a MPV of less than 7V. Btw, Fivemega sells frosted CA1499 bulbs, very nice beam but much less throw. You will not be able to run CA1057 on 18500.

Sigbjoern

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the good advice,

I might just try one of the CA1499 when they are back in stock.

Benny

Schuey2002

Enlightened
I've been wanting to use one of the CA1057 bulbs in my M@g 2C. Other than using a piece of PVC as a spacer, does anyone know where I can purchase one of those pre-made spacer tube dealies so that I can use 3 x CR123a's in this body?

I remember seeing them on the old board, but I'm not finding them over here anywhere.. :)

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a CA1057 in a my 'sixpack' 2D (6 17500s).. 7.2V.. and it's quite a nice light... i'm planning on going a little gonzo though.. so anybody interested in the 1057 potted lemme know i have like 20 minutes runtime on one bulb the other bulb is brand spankin' new.. i have a tube that will make a C fit into a D but not 123s into a C.

a pair of 18650s will be at 1C with the 1057.. 18500s will be 1.6c.. a pila will shut off i think at 1.5C.. unprotected cell is just warming up at 2C.

the 1274 bulb is a popular choice for a '7.2V' solution like 2xLiON.. anything in that current level you want to keep the drain on the batteries 1.5C or less if possible.

go to walamps.com and do some searches and see if something pops out.. look for high efficiencies and the voltage.. pick a bulb that is 1-2V below the no-load voltage of your batteri pack (i.e. 8.4V is a no-load battery LiONx2).. so.. 6-7V is a good match.

I have a killer spreadsheet i'm working on but it's set up for higher power bulbs.. i have 6 x 17500 (3AH).. so i can run up to 50W! sweeeet.

(that's why i don't need the 17W 1057 anymore.. it'b beautiful but i'd rather see it in a 2C).

-awr

Schuey2002

Enlightened
MorpheusT1 said:
Try ICARUS...he might make you one:)
Benny
Thanks for the headsup. But, I'd really like to find someone on this side of the Pond.:D I know that there is a website somewhere that lists them, I can't remember where..

andrewwynn said:
..so anybody interested in the 1057 potted lemme know i have like 20 minutes runtime on one bulb the other bulb is brand spankin' new..
I PM'd Litho123 (earlier tonight) about picking one. If I he doesn't have anymore, I'll probably be shooting a PM your way, Andrew.. :)

litho123

Enlightened
Schuey2002 said:
I've been wanting to use one of the CA1057 bulbs in my M@g 2C. Other than using a piece of PVC as a spacer, does anyone know where I can purchase one of those pre-made spacer tube dealies so that I can use 3 x CR123a's in this body?

I remember seeing them on the old board, but I'm not finding them over here anywhere.. :)

Why not make one yourself?
Considering that you can buy a 10' PVC tube for under 3.00, cut it to length, sand the edges smooth, wrap some masking tape around it until it has just the right amount of friction to keep it in the C or D body, drop in your 123 batts and away you go.

Just take a 123 batt with you to the store to find the right ID pipe.

Rommul

Enlightened
litho123 said:
Why not make one yourself?
Considering that you can buy a 10' PVC tube for under 3.00, cut it to length, sand the edges smooth, wrap some masking tape around it until it has just the right amount of friction to keep it in the C or D body, drop in your 123 batts and away you go.

Just take a 123 batt with you to the store to find the right ID pipe.

I think Mr Bulks Idea works best.

Buy some 5/8ths inch inside diameter heater hose and cut it to size and you will have a rattle free setup.

The question I really wnat to ask is would it be wise to try running a 6D maglite bulb in a 2c mag with 3 CR123's?

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
Rommul said:
I think Mr Bulks Idea works best.

Buy some 5/8ths inch inside diameter heater hose and cut it to size and you will have a rattle free setup.

Use PVC and cut a coupling into two pieces and put one on each end. you will have to sand down the coupling a little but it looks good. I made on that way and painted it red. I looks preddy when you pull it out.

Rommul said:
The question I really wnat to ask is would it be wise to try running a 6D maglite bulb in a 2c mag with 3 CR123's?

I've used mag 5D bulbs in this set up. not as bright as a KPR112 but still really bright.

Cheers.
RM

Last edited:

Rommul

Enlightened
Rogue_monkey said:
I've used mag 5D bulbs in this set up. not as bright as a KPR112 but still really bright.

Cheers.
RM

Thanks man. Just put them in about an hour after reading this response (it was dark out hehe). Very nice setup.

I am already looking around for some KPR118's :)

Rogue_monkey said:
Use PVC and cut a coupling into two pieces and put one on each end. you will have to sand down the coupling a little but it looks good. I made on that way and painted it red. I looks preddy when you pull it out.

I am having a hard time visualing this.

Could you post a pic?

I don't know much aboout PVC. What size are you talking about (maybe I can go to home depot tommorow to take a look).

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try my Roar of the Pelican (Lithium Edition) - 2 x unprotected 18650s with a Pelican Big D #3854 potted bulb. Estimated 600 OUTPUT lumens for 20-25 minutes. :D likely one of the most powerful 2C mods ever. I'm not kidding when I say it makes the WA bulbs look like lightweights - I HAVE WA bulbs and I'm not impressed :(

Schuey2002

Enlightened
>>"..with a Pelican Big D #3854 potted bulb."

Hey Kevin, where does one purchase these Pelican bulbs? Directly from Pelican themselves? Or possibly someplace else?