More l4/McE2S talicap questions

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
Hope you guys/gals don't get tired of answering these questions but here are a few: I just received my l4 and was getting ready to order my new 2 stage cap from McGizmo. I've read most of the FAQ about the differences in these but wanted to get some feedback on how the new cap "felt" - good or bad in hand. (I know this will vary greatly as we all have diff. hands but wanted to see if there was any big issues with any of these styles) I am leaning towards the std Aleph or the Aleph chopped. What style did you choose and why? I ask this as all my SF lights have the "bald" style and I was worried the "protected" cap would feel a lot different/bad compared to the exposed/bald stock cap. One last question: Is the finish termed "natural" the one most closely resembling the stock l4? I know it isn't black, but was a bit confused on the FAQ page. Thanks for any help. Sorry for a bit of a ramble.

Last edited:

Hikaru

Newly Enlightened
I'd also be interested in any feedback from Aleph tailcap users. It's hard to choose a style without having them "in hand" to try out. I would like to be able to tailstand it, so I don't know if I'd want the bald option. But I definitely wouldn't want a protected style if you couldn't turn it on easily with a thumb. (Flashlightreviews metioned a "cigar" style grip was the most practical for switching.) Don't the flat-top styles have a "hair-trigger" option, or am I just imagining that I read that somewhere.

Thanks for any replies

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Standard with a 10ohm board on a L4 and I love it. It takes a little getting used to but not a problem.

I also have the Trim cap on an Aleph 2 single cell body, it is very nice however at least for me, it is a little hard to use the switch tactically(ham hands). I do use it primarily as a twist style, with just one hand and prefer that method of operation. If the trim is on a 2 cell body (L4) it is easier to use tactically.

I am currently waiting to get a Standard Flat and a flat, and can report on them as well.

HTH and mad sense.:shrug::p

EDIT: Welcome to CPF Ivanhoe!:wave:

Last edited:

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Beamhead! that's the type of feedback I'm looking for. Is your finish on the std "natural?"

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The main difference is that the Flat-Top version do indeed have a "hair-trigger" switch, shich has three consequences:
1) activation on low and high "momentary" requires little force and switch movement
2) the tailcap is smaller / shorter
3) the chopped down McE2S module will fall out of the tailcap when removed from the body since there is no retaining nut there any more. This isn't a problem, but you might wanna know it before opening it up. :D

All the other caps have standard activation which requries some force. If you have weak thumbs you can cut down the spring a bit to make it easier, but it won't be as smooth as with the flat-top ones ... BUT it is less likely to turn on in you pocket or backpack, should this be an issue for you.

It is all a matter of personal preferences I guess. Mine are the FT and trhe Standard.

Reference pic:

Alephtailcaps-primary-new.jpg

bernie

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Flat Top (FT), which is the trim model, with a 22 ohm resistor, on my L4. I much prefer it to the Standard McE2S tailcap. Sleek form and easy to twist. The momentary switch still takes a bit of effort, esp. to activate "high". I got the "black" color, which is really dark gray. It looks OK with the L4, but is clearly darker. Don't know if the "natural" color would be a better match, but also don't know if it is available on all versions.

The L4 is so bright that the 2-stage tailcap is a very useful addition to give this great light more versatility.

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have standard, trim and flattop versions. The standard and trim are somewhat difficult for me to actuate. Seems as if they require more pressure than I prefer, but most other folks don't share this prob. Does require a good strong push to get it to high. I prefer the basic Surefire clicky tailcap (Z57?).

best regards

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
great points Kiessling! also for the input form AFAustin and Powernoodle.
one great confusing pt still remains for me and my sometimes hard to comprehend brain: If "black" is dark gray, how do you describe "natural"
I feel like I just wrote a line for Jerry in a Seinfeld episode....

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
This is a very useful thread for me as well. I bought a KL4 for my E2E last week and got an E1L this week. Im very interested in the two stage tailcaps for at least the KL4 (on either body) and probably for the KL1 as well.

How much of a difference do people see between the 10 ohm and 22 ohm resistors? Im looking to knock the KL4 down to something like a minimag on low. Also, Im a little confused about where to get the two stage tailcaps. Are they still being made? Thanks for any additional comments.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Ivanhoe ... there is no black. There is McGizmo's standard anodise color "dark slate gray" which is a very dark silk-matte gray, almost black, but not 100% black. Natural HA is just the green-gray color you see on most Surefires which varies in color even within the same light. Some are a good match, some not. McGizmo's HA-NAT (natural) usually is a pretty good match for the HA-NAT of Surefire lights if that helps you a bit to understand the color.

GadgetTravel ... you can buy the tailcaps at the Sandwich Shoppe as turnkey units or DIY kits, you can contact the modders of the Aleph Group (see FAQ) to make you one or you can try Don (McGizmo) directly. Either way, price and quality should be very similar.
As for the right resistor ... this is an endless song :D ... and depends not only on your head (KL4) but also on the battery configuration used, meaning a 30 ohm resistor will be much dimmer on 1x123 than on 2x123. If you are unsure about what to get, just order an additional resistor board for a few cents and swap them (relatively easy to do) if not satisfied.

bernie

Hikaru

Newly Enlightened
Just to double check: are both of the flat-top styles able to tail stand (i.e. candle mode).

Thanks

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using a 22ohm resister in a Trim tail cap, natural color. The color matches the Surefire quite well. I chose the trim cap because I like to stand the light on end. Works great indoors. It is harder to activate with the thumb since it is recessed but it is fine with all but the largest thumbs. In a really dark environment the 22 ohm may be more light than you need. It is really OK though to read with and to light up close tasks. You should get at least 10 hours of runtime with this tailcap on low. It also works great with my Pila 3.7v recharable battery (168s). If you want a real dim light go for a higher resistor.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hikaru ... yes, both.

Ivanhoe ... you're welcome anytime :). And yes, the "black" can be misleading.

Here's a pic showing McGizmo HA-NAT and SF-NAT, but know that there are always variations and this is just an example.
Aleph3NAT.jpg

Aleph044.jpg

And here's the black HA ... tailcap and bezel are Don's "dark slate gray" and the body is SF HABK:
X3T.jpg

Another one ... head and tailcap are SF and the body is McGizmo:
McGizmomix.jpg

bernie

P.S.: sorry for the pics, but this difference is really hard to capture since HA tends to look a bit different when photographed ... :green:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an L4 today -- nifty light!

I have a couple of Alephs with standard (type S) tailcaps and 60-ohm resistors. I like that combination. Low level is about as bright as my A2s in red and yellow-green. It will be perfect for filling out forms, etc. on medical aid calls. The bright beam is there for lighting the way for me and the rest of the crew.

I like the ergonomics of the standard cap. The flare is really easy to grab, and makes activation in the "syringe" or "cigar" grip easy. I don't have a problem activating the button, but it does take a little getting used to compared to regular SureFire caps. Plus you can tailstand the light.

I got the L4 as a backup for my L2. But now, with the McGizmo cap and maybe some Pilas later on, it might turn out to be the other way around.

Scott

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Because I prefer to carry my L4 in a holster I opted to go with the Trim Tailcap. If I had it to do over again I'd buy the Trim Tailcap as it suits my needs perfectly. As for the resistor I have a 22 ohm and greatly enjoy that too.