4AA LED light attached to a Light sensor

Weylan

Enlightened
I have a light that runs on 4xAA. It is a regular bulb(incandecent). It has a timer for 15 seconds that when it dectects motion, it turns on the light. It looks like a taplight almost. I got it for like $7 at Frys.

I am using NMIH cells.

I am planning to convert it to LED, becuase a white light is much nicer and MIGHT give me better durration on the batteries.

As it is, the cat seems to turn on the light all the time so I am having to change the batteries every 10-15 days.

Things I would like to do.

Use 1 to 3 5mm LEDS if possible, because this would give me about the same amout of light. Or use 1 Luxeon maybe.

I would like to modify the light to run a bit longer then the 15 seconds that it currently gives.

Solution
1. I think that I should just be able to just use a resistor to limit the current for the 2-3 LEDs and even though the Vf is a bit high using 4xAA, this should be ok. What do you think? Any suggestions for a restance to start with, so I don't have to go get too many to start with. I can only get to RS right now easily. So fewer to start with would be better.

2. Using a Luxeon might be a bit more tricky. But should be also able to use a resistor the same as in 1.

3. Using a capacitor may help extend the ON time longer then 15 seconds. But circut tracing may have to be done.

TOTAL COST: Since I have the LEDS already from part of a group buy, the cost should be less then $2, beyond the light itself.

Suggestions and other help or anything you think I might like to add?

Last edited: