Talk about being insensitive!

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a JetBlue plane in trouble over Los Angeles with 125 passengers and one of the L.A. TV stations had the Safety Manager for the Airline Pilots Association on the phone to get some professional insight about what the pilot was doing.

At exactly 5 PM, the guy says to the anchor that he has to go. His son has a softball practice to attend and said his goodbyes.

Where are his priorities?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right where they should be, with his family!

He can't affect the situation in the air, nor do anything about the results on the ground.

Now if it was the Air Traffic Controller, or a Jet Blue spokesman, it would be different, but otherwise? He did what he should have in my view.

Bill

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was an L.A. originated flight returning to L.A.

You can assume that there are a hundred families in the L.A. area that need some reassurance that things are going to be OK. This guy had an opportunity to convey some confidence in the flight's safe return.

He didn't!

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sensitivity is kind of out the window right now... Apparently, the passengers have been watching MSNBC live coverage via the plane's on-board satellite system of this event in their own seats for hours now.

-Bill

raggie33

*the raggedier*
this landing will be ok he has to keep the front up a bit longer when front toches down it will mostl likly just skid it will skid off run way every one will be ok

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm watching MSNBC also. It seems as if there's no shortage of experts to interview, so I have no problem with that safety manager taking care of his family commitments. The newscasters will survive with their other sources.

It's at times like this (and during hurricane coverage) that I really miss Peter Jennings.

(EDIT)

THEY JUST LANDED SAFELY!!! :twothumbs :clap: :clap: :clap: :grouphug:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
told ya it will be fine .i took flying lessons when i was young it may a been just one i loved it was many years ago.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
BB said:
Apparently, the passengers have been watching MSNBC live coverage via the plane's on-board satellite system of this event in their own seats for hours now.

I heard that the satellitle radio and tv was turned off at some point during the flight....probably just before landing.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yep, they interviewed one of the passengers who said that they were watching MSNBC until a few minutes prior to landing.

That was an AMAZING landing! That plane came down like a feather. I noticed that the pilot brought the nose down so gently that for awhile only the back tire of the front landing gear assembly was touching the ground! Just perfect. That pilot deserves some sort of public recognition for his efforts.

Topper

Flashaholic*
If nothing else maybe the Safety dude can take him/her to a softball game.
I am glad it landed so well.Sometimes in life it can be a tough call as to job vs. family at times I have struggeled with that still not sure if I did the best thing in every situation I am sure at times my workplace was unhappy and Lord knows at other times my wife and son were not happy. If I die tonight my workplace will just hire some other jerk for peanuts; I think my wife and son would be unhappy.So my hat is off to Mr. Safety dude for taking care of his son, "play ball"
Topper

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Passengers, Humor, Tears -- Then Cheers

Just after that, the situation took an abrupt, bizarre turn.

The back of each seat on a JetBlue plane is equipped with a small television set. As passengers watched, live, in-flight broadcasts of MSNBC and Fox News began to show their airplane. Ash glanced at the television of the passenger next to him: "At first I just thought, 'Of course, Fox News,' " he said, discounting the story as sensationalized. "But then it was on MSNBC."

People started to worry. "It was so eerie watching ourselves," Ash said. "It was unimaginable…. We heard people speculating about this and that. It was so odd."

Somehow, being on the TV news "made it a big deal."

Passengers reacted with a range of emotions — some quietly upset and concerned, but most very calm. A few began laughing. Ash joined them. Once he saw the humor of it, the sense wouldn't leave him: "It was just such an absurd situation," he said.

But his humor faded as he listened to television commentators talking about the flight.

"One guy was saying, 'You know, I'm just speculating, but the landing gear will break off, and the nose will drive into the pavement,' and this and that."

It went on like that, one expert after another saying the noise would be horrific, that it would be awful.

-Bill

Saaby

Flashaholic
When I flew JetBlue to New York they were having some minor turbulence problems, so the Satellite was flaky for awhile. Flight attendant flipped a switch so we could watch the premium movie (Usually $5) for free.

Wonder if they did the same on this flight :p

bhds

Enlightened
PhotonWrangler said:
That pilot deserves some sort of public recognition for his efforts.

From what I have seen on CNN, I think he got it - in spades:goodjob:

I cant imagine what it was like watching their own impending death live on tv for 3 hours while they burned off fuel:sweat::sweat: