is it true now people can burn the usa flag?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i saw this on news is it true?.i cant even imagine how i would feel if i saw a person burn the flag.it will be rage .and sadness .i realy dont think i could handle it.so is it true a person can burn the flag?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technically the answer is yes in two ways...

The first is that the proper disposal method for a US Flag is to burn it (with respect).

The second is via the First Amendment--Freedom of Speech.

Know others by their own actions.

-Bill

raggie33

*the raggedier*
but they cant burn my flag corect? i mean they cant take my usa flag and burn it? my freind gave it to me

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Burning your flag would probably just be handled like any other property crime.

However, if you went 9/11 on the guy--you probably could be charged with assault--depending on where the incident occurred.

-Bill

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its your property, so basically no. What are you so worried about? Are there middle eastern vandalists lurking in your neighborhood or something?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i guess im worried cause the only time i saw my dad cry .was when he came home and saw the gift we got him a 20 foot flag pole with the american flag flying he was brought to tears.my dad fought for this country he is like me and loves it but we also respect all other countries .i love my dad so i cant imagine him being sad i also love the flag i am so gratefull i am a american(plese noue i dont think im beter or anything im jus happy im fromusa)so what scares me is some day he may see some nimrod burn the flag he worked so hard to protct.theni saw on news people can burn the flag i never new this before.i guess im just silly but it makes me sad

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think that the flag burners usually bring their own materials to burn. I've never heard of someone torching someone else's flag, and if they did, they could be prosecuted for arson.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, stealing your flag and burning it would be like stealing anything else off your property and destroying it. Illegal and you could press charges if you wanted to, and you should if somebody is stealing your stuff and you can catch them at it!

There was a bill recently that would have made it illegal to burn the flag for free speech reasons. Which I personally thought was stupid. I think everyone who wants to burn the US flag should be allowed to do so and their pictures taken while doing it... Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of consequences from your actions. Only that the government and police won't keep you from saying or doing stupid things.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 said:
but they cant burn my flag corect? i mean they cant take my usa flag and burn it? my freind gave it to me

I might guess that your friend knows folks in law enforcement and the judicial system that would become inspired to use legal facilities to make life less comfortable for anyone damaging or destroying your flag.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I see two sides of the flag burning coin. First any american burning a flag other than for disposal purposes is dishonoring their country and should be frowned upon. Secondly those burning a flag in protest most likely are burning a flag made in ay foreign country and they are trying to draw anger and rage from americans and point attention to themselves to the point of inspiring violence. I just shake my head at them and go on as you can take the physical flag and destroy it but cannot take the american heart and ideas that go into making the flag and the country great and readily destroy it. The flag is a symbol and you can wipe out a signpost but you cannot remove ideas from hearts and minds.
There will always be people hating/disrespecting others countries, religions, races, and ideas and it all it ever gets to is burning a symbol it is a small price to pay to vent frustation and anger compared to blowing up buildings and people. I would have preferred those that destroyed the twin towers to have burned a flag the size of a football field made of precious materials costing billions than destroying the people.

You never hear about people burning flags in private, they always do it in huge crowds with witnesses as do many extremist groups. Give them attention and they will do things that are less respectful, ignore them and shun them and they will have to do something else to get attention.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lynx_Arc said:
any american burning a flag other than for disposal purposes is dishonoring their country and should be frowned upon.

well said

pradeep1

Enlightened
A flag is a symbol for something and not that thing. The USA Flag is a symbol of this great nation and the freedoms and responsibilities it engenders. It is not the freedom or the responsibility. If someone burns an US Flag, I don't mind, nor do I get angry at them. They are operating within their limited reality and are doing so with an intent to make a statement. What that statement is, I don't know, but a statement nonetheless. By destroying a symbol of the USA, they are not destroying the USA. Forgive them and move on. That is my action when I see that.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Face the Flag of stars and bars,
Of red and white and blue,
A flag that guarantees the rights
For men like me and you.

Face the flag, son; read what's written there
The history, the progress, and the heritage we share
Our flag reflects the past, son, but stands for so much more
And in this age of Aquarius, it still flies in the fore.

It leads the forward movement shared by all mankind
To learn . . . to love . . . to live with peace in mind
To learn the mysteries of space, as well as those of earth
To love each man for what he is, regardless of his birth.

To live without the fear of reprisal for belief
To ease the the tensions of the world that cries out for relief.

Face the Flag of stars and bars,
For men like me and you

Face the flag, son; take a good long look
What you're seeing now can't be found in any history book
It's the present and the future so; it's being written now
And you're the one to write it, but the flag can show you how.

Do you know what it stands for? What it's makers meant?
To think . . . to speak . . . the privilege of dissent
To think our leaders might be wrong, to stand and tell them so
These are things that other men under other flags will never know.

But, responsibility . . . that's the cross that free men must bear
And if you don't accept that, the freedom isn't there.

Face the Flag of stars and bars,
For men like me and you.

Face the flag, son, and face reality
Our strengths and our freedoms are based in unity
The flag is but a symbol, son, of the world's greatest nation
And as long as it keeps flying, there's cause for celebration.

So do what you've got to do, but always keep in mind
A lot of other people believe in peace, but there are the other kind
If we want to keep these freedoms, we may have to fight again
God forbid, but if we do, let's always fight to win.

For the fate of a loser is futile and it's bare
No love . . . no peace . . . just misery and despair.

Face the flag, son . . .
and thank God it's still there."

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm probably more patriotic and loyal to the concept of America than 99% of "Americans".....

That said, I have very little problem with someone going out and burning an American flag that they either bought and paid for or "made" themselves:

There are two reasons for this:
1: They are showing their ignorance, hatred and foolishness for everyone to see, which only strengthens "my side", the America loving, patriotic side of the arguement. When an opponent is reduced to such empty gestures, their own lack of a compelling, logical arguement (or their verbal inadequacy to express it) against the concept of America is exposed, and reduces their support by any but other similarly ignorant and hate filled people who are already beyond the reach of any rational, logical discussion.

2: It is good for the economy: Even if foreign made, they spent money for the flag or the materials from which they made the representation of the flag, and are destroying it, so someone profits...... Making a profit is the best way to spread "democracy" and Capitalism..... And if they do it again, .... More profit!!!!

Now, if they steal and destroy / desecrate MY flags or "government owned" flags that I helped pay for from tax dollars, or flags stolen from my "neighbor", I DO have a problem,...... Not because they burned a mere symbol, but because they are scum-sucking thieves and ignorant fools as well... Not sure which I despise more... Thieves or mere ignorant fools and their empty gestures....

I opposed the first attempt at making a Constitutional Ammendment against Flag Burning, and I oppose the recent / current attempts to make such an Ammendment. There are a lot more important things to worry about in this world than worrying about who burns a flag. There are already laws already on the books designed to protect or punish the theft of private or public property, and those politicians that support the ammendment of "my" "sacred" Constitution for something so trivial are IMHO mere political grandstanders who are unwilling or unable to grasp the real problems facing our American society today.....

And the only thing I worry about burning a flag that the America-haters bought and paid for themselves is that the fire may spread or the fumes harm a bystander with allergies / chemical sensitivities.

I've never been one to value symbols over substance..... I'd willingly die or kill to protect the substance or the concept of the United States.... The destruction of a mere symbol is, at worst, a mere irritation.

And most of all, I believe in private property rights..... By Gosh, if I own something, be it a flag; a copy of the Quran, a Bible; a Barbra Streisand, Dixie Chicks or a Harry Belafonte album; a personally autographed photo of George W. Bush OR of Joseph Stalin, or a Cross or ...... whatever.... As long as I don't violate fire codes or endanger someone else's life or property.... I have a right to burn it, wipe my posterior with it or dispose / desecrate it an any manner that I choose to..... And if it is a sin against God, Allah or whatever for me to do so, that is between me and "Him", not me and Congress or me and "you".

I have a lot bigger problem with certain elected pseudo-American politicians and appointed - hired bureaucrats that desecrate the Constitution and the very Concept of America on a regular basis than I do the occasional ignorant malcontent who burns a piece of fabric or paper that is merely a symbol.

While I understand, respect and even emotionally agree with people that want to "kick the butts" or fine or imprison flag burners.... IMO, that is NOT what this counrty is all about. Patriotism can not be legislated.... To me that is kind of like the old joke about "the beatings will continue until morale improves." If you don't feel it in your heart and in your mind, coerced pseudo-patriotisim is more dangerous and more harmful to the Nation than overt hatred of it.

/end of rant.

Sorry for ranting. I feel kind of strongly about this and have put a lot of thought into the subject for decades.

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie:

Flag burners burn flags as a statement, what the message is is usually very vague and unfounded.

For all the men and women who died before us just so that we have the priviledge to fly the ol' glory, I wouldn't mind seeing the shmucks who burn the American Flag get a good boot-kicking...

It's a part of being a freedom loving democracy, I suppose, no matter how hard it is to accept for some of us...

Nick

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I support their right to burn the flag. :huh:

I also support my right to kick their A$$ if I happen upon them while doing it!!!! :twak:

I'll gladly take my defense before a jury of 12 of "my" peers.:p :stupid:

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead said:
I support their right to burn the flag. :huh:

I also support my right to kick their A$$ if I happen upon them while doing it!!!! :twak:

I'll gladly take my defense before a jury of 12 of "my" peers.:p :stupid:

Just make sure you didn't give the, uh, advice in Calif., Mass., Vermont, and Oregon's urban area....