PM6 seems brighter than Gladius?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed strange difference in light brightness between Gladius and new Pelican PM6 3w HAIII.
I got my gladius back from repaired 2days ago. My gladius has same wide hotspot & narrow sidespill. The sidespill light is bright although it is narrower than PM6.

The PM6 actually has brighter hotspot & sidespill than Gladius. PM6 has wider sidespill light however light isn't as bright as Gladius.

I don't have digicam to take picture. sorry guys. The pelican site indicates this new light suppose to have 61lumen but it seems brighter than Gladius when I look at the reflector at an angle. when I compared both lights side by side, PM6 is brighter than Gladius. This is strange. According to pro review by http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/BH_NO_Glad.htm Gladius has 80-90 lumens.

Does anyone have light meter to measure light out put of new PM6 vs Gladius. My PM6 seems much brighter in general despite that it doesn't have the Gladius anti-reflective coating on glass.

greenLED

Flashaholic
When I compared my PM6 with the Gladius being passed around, I noticed the hotspot on the PM6 is tighter (smaller) than the Gladius'. Maybe this would explain what you've noticed? The reflector on the PM6 kicks butt.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am know that PM6 has tighter hot spot. Its reflector is really awesome. I am curious to know why it has tighter hot spot. PM6 also consistent narrower beam than gladius hence it seems to throw farther than gladius a bit more.

I swap batteries from PM6 into gladius to test if the brightness had to do with battery. The result was the same for PM6 regardless of any cr123A battery.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The reflector of the PM6 is the opne that went into a lot of custom lights (McLux-PR, McLuxPR/T etc.) and re-appeared refined as the McR-27 of McGizmo. THis reflector is one hell of e throw-beast for the size and offers a very wide but relatively dim corona. And it has a very very good beam quality. It was the Egg of Columbus for a long time untill more diverse reflector offerngs of similar quality became available.

The Gladius IIRC uses the IMS 27mm reflector which is a cheaper plastic part and offers a beam that is a bit wider and has a bit less efficinecy and beam quality ... IIRC.

bernie

greenLED

Flashaholic
picard said:
I am curious to know why it has tighter hot spot.

A combination of the parabolic design, focal distance, size, and finish. :nana:

The PM6 reflector :rock:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well... The M6 3w is a thing of beauty, I have one, but I need to replace it. I really like the reflector too... good job Pelican.

-David

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
Pile 168A fit IIRC. Quickbeam has a table on his website with Pila batt compatibility info.

I just check quickbeam website(flashlightreviews). He only mention 168A fits in PM6. He hasn't finish testing the Gladius which he just received yesterday.

I am waiting for his test for Gladius. I use JS burley protected 3.2V which runs in Gladius. The battery should be used 1-2hrs after a recharge.