ever been in a huricane or anything

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i been in tornados huircanes and flood and a small earth quake(this was the scairest casue i had no idea waht was going on we dont have em here) but i never been in a bad one the one tornado detroyed my house but i moved before it did and it wasnt my house tornados seem to be the ones i see the most of

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Back in 1996 Hurricane Fran blew through central NC really tearing things up. Winds were still near Cat. 1 strength when it came past the Raleigh area. For about ten hours that night the wind howled and the trees crashed. In the morning our neighborhood looked like a war zone with many trees and power lines across roads and houses. We were extremely lucky, having only minor damage to house and vehicles, but we did loose some trees. Power was out for about ten days. As an adventure, it got old real quick. This was nothing compared to Hurricane Katrina and now Rita. I really feel for those folks down south.

Geoff

cslinger

Enlightened
I have been through a couple that went up the Chesepeake Bay. Nothing near the magnitude of a Cat. 5 but pretty impressive force of nature none the less.

Tornados scare the bejezzus out of me.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
When I was but a pup in 1961, Carla came knocking. I remember clearly my Dad and Uncle going out to buy more beer during the storm! We were in a house just north of downtown Houston.

In 1983 Alicia came knocking. We lived off I-45 south and what is now Beltway 8. I remember the patio cover flopping up over and WHAM against the roof twice, then it flew away!

Then that damn pesky Allison came calling. We got VERY close to getting water in the house, MUCH closer than during Alicia!

But this angry babe named Rita has me worried in a way I never was before!

WDR65

Enlightened
Went through six hurricanes back in the mid to late nineties in southeastern NC. Up here in Raleigh there have been a few brushes, but nothing major. At home though I live only 18 air miles from the ocean and it gets pretty rough, the worst windwise was Fran that Geoff mentioned and it was a Category 3 when the eye passed over my house. Rainwise though Floyd took the cake, I live just above sea level and wow, it was crazy how our fields flooded.
After Fran we spent over two weeks without power, which is not a big deal as we have various types of generators for my families nursery business, but we didn't have anything to run the AC and Southeast NC is HOT in the late summer as well as very humid especially after a storm like that. We had to cut our way out down our driveway as my parents live almost 3/4 of a mile off the main road and there are trees on one side of the driveway. I think there were almost twenty trees down, maybe more in that stretch.
Its a scary feeling watching those storms come in with very high winds, Fran was a 4 up until right before it made landfall. Luckily I don't think the water off coastal NC is as warm as in the gulf. I sympathize with the people down there, I have an idea of what they're going through, but on a smaller scale.
That was also before my flashaholism, which means that the best lights we had were either a Pelican Super Sabrelight or the Maglites. No led's or Surefire's at that point.
Sorry for the long post, I had just been thinking about all this recently with Katrina and now Rita and I've been remembering all the things that went down. One of the things I remember most was how many different people from other areas pitched in to help. The guys that restored power on my driveway were from upstate New York and we recieved help from various nurseries all over.

pradeep1

Enlightened
I've been through Hurricane Alicia which was a Cat 3 which made landfall near Houston back in 1983 when I was but a pup. That put the power out for almost a four days, and I remember my mother gathering rain water in large buckets for us to take baths and all. We drank water from gallon jugs and all. I think my mother had a portable gas stove she used to boil the water before drinking. I remember seeing mud in the water coming out of our pipes and our street flooding. Fortunately, the damage was not too bad, but a ritzy section of Houston got flooded and all these oil baron mansions were flooded and we took an aftermath tour and I remember thinking that how come these rich folks' homes were destroyed and our little apartment wasn't.

When you are that young, stuff like being in a hurricane and not going to school for a week is great stuff! Fortunately, Houston is quite inland and has a good concrete bayou system for handling the runoff water. I remember seeing the bayous come all the way up to the top with water rushing by, which is a lot, since a bayou is about 100-200 ft. wide and about 50-100 ft. deep.

That was neat. :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
One while in Central America back in the late 80's-early 90's (which veered off and missed us completely at "the last minute") and one in Raleigh, NC back in Sept 99. It was pretty scary in NC. Even thought most of the damage was close to the coast, there were still parts of the city without power and flooded for a while.

We had to go check-out some research sites out on the coast about a month later, and the stench was horrible. It was also pretty sad to see the dark, abandoned houses with huge piles of rotting furniture, appliances and other people's belongings outside.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Experienced flooding in the Philippines where we all had to stay in the second floor of my grandparents house. All you had to do was look out the window and the water was roughly 36 inches below the sill. That was ancient history for me. . .

A couple of hurricanes in Hawaii. Last one for me there was hurricane Iwa (pronounced like Eva [long e]) `81/`82.

The quake of `89 Bay Area California and a few temblors here and there.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've been in one that roared up onto the beach back in the 70s. It went by pretty quickly but it toppled a tree nearby and killed someone. I remember that the water was coming down so hard and fast that I could barely breathe.