Wind sense!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the things we forget to talk about with high wind, hurricane, and tornado situations is one that common sense would seem to make obvious.

However, in the stress of a the situation, we often forget that objects become projectiles when driven by the wind. Anything in your yard, your neighbors yard, across the street, etc. that you can secure somehow should be secured.

I live in an area where 40 MPH winds are common and spring brings 60+ MPH winds with higher gusts. Our little lake can have 4 foot whitecaps.

At 60 MPH, patio tables weighing hundreds of pounds become flight risks. At the speeds of hurricane winds, even vehicles can be blown around.

If it can move, it will, in winds over 60 MPH. Recognize that, and work with neighbors to get as much of that kind of stuff battened down as you can.

Hurricane force winds can turn a 2x4 into a spear capable of completely piercing a tree more than one foot in diameter.

Construction debris can be deadly, as boards with nails in them, shovels, etc. take flight. Try to get all that stuff put under good cover.

If you have large overhanging limbs, now is the time to cut them off, before the storm trims them for you!!

I know that many of you recognize this, but if you are staying, try to eliminate as much risk as possible.

Do NOT count on the storm going where the predictions say it will, count on a worst possible Northeast wall strike and if it doesn't, better.

Good luck to all who stay and to all who leave!!

Prayers for you all!!!

Bill

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Bill said and good luck folks...

Board up your windows if you can, a good house is only as good as the window that protects the interior, not matter how strong the construction is, a flying 2x4 can ruin your room in a second by smashing the window...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where I live the dumpsters are overflowing with all sorts of crap, the management didn' call to have them cleaned, I just hope no one gets hurt, my family will be staying on a room with no windows.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the best you can do with vehicles is point them into the expected wind direction and hope!

They are designed to face the wind, so it takes pretty serious headwind to do any damage!

Bill