TL-3 and the use of rechargable batteries

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned my TL-3 (green) for just about a week now. It's great.
I would like to use rechargable batteries in it.
I have tried using 2 Pila 150s but they don't work. I have been reading that AW's rechargables work. What is the difference between the two? Why don't my Pila's work?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
They definitely should work; Pila cells use a different protection approach that lets them work at higher currents without shutting down. In fact, I've ordered a pair too see whether they'll power a P91 lamp where my protected 17500 cells won't.

So I don't know what's holding back your cells.

A few months ago, Wolf Eyes and Pila upgraded the capacity of their cells. In the 150s size, it went from something like 1000 mAh to something like 1200. Maybe you have old stock that's just a bit too low in capacity (and hence, high in resistance) to power the TL-3.

Have you tried recharging your Pila cells? In case you're unaware, each time protection is tripped, you need to place the cells back in the charger for a while to reset the protection.

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try it again with yours suggestions in mind. Thanks.

Paul_in_Maryland,
I am currenty using two Pila 150s in my Surefire 9P with the P91 lamp. It works great. You'll love it.
Tip: You will have to click the "ON" button twice in rapid succession to get the P91 lamp to light. The double tap by passes the Pila protection circut on the second tap.
Use with the P90 is just like using 123 lithium cells...you can't tell the difference.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a P91 that I'm itching to try, but I'm hoping to avoid the need to double click. What if you just want a momentary operation?

You can single-click a P91 with AW's 18650 or 17670 cells, but not with AW's 18500 or 17500 or Pila 150S. We can safely infer that Pila 168A and 168S cells will also single-click. The only remaining piece to the puzzle is, "Can you single-click with Pila 150A cells?" I've had some 150S cells on order, but thanks to your post, I'll change them to 150A to learn the answer (in a Wolf Eyes light). If the answer is Yes, then for many of us, that would be a compelling reason to choose a Wolf Eyes or Pila 3-cell standard-head light (bearing in mind that the P91 reflector will need a bit of machining to properly fit).

pilot4x4

Enlightened
I run my TL-3 lights on 17500 batteries from AW and get almost exactly one hour of nearly full brightness out of them. It's a great setup. The only thing is that the light goes from almost full output to nothing instantly so you have to be ready for that.
John

Last edited:

oklalawman

Enlightened
pilot4x4 said:
I run my TL-3 lights on 17500 batteries from AW and get almost exactly one hour of nearly full brightness out of them. It's a great setup. The only thing is that the light goes from almost full output to nothing instantly so you have to be ready for that.
John

Ditto they work great.

juancho

Enlightened
John9quote/]

Thanks for the information, are your 17500 protected?
Are they from AW?

I want to run my TL-3 but I want to order the proper batteries!

pilot4x4

Enlightened
Yes they are the 17500 protected cells that AW sells. He's great to buy from by the way. I bought some cells from him that were bad and he immediately shipped replacements, only took 6 days to get here from the time I emailed him. John

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have the 17500 cells from AW and he is great to deal with. I use the cells to feed my little hand cannon (aka TL-3)

TBrogden

Newly Enlightened
Could someone help clarify a point for me?

Given that the 17500s are 3.7 volts and the TL-3 is a 9V bulb, isn't the bulb underdriven considerably by two 17500s? If that is the case, aren't there implications for output, beam color, etc?

Thanks,

Tony

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bulb is not underdriven, because under load, those three 3V cells depress to about 7.4V. If anything, the two 17500 cells deliver more voltage under load for most of their cycle! The heavier the load, the brighter the difference.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
TBrogden said:
Could someone help clarify a point for me?

Given that the 17500s are 3.7 volts and the TL-3 is a 9V bulb, isn't the bulb underdriven considerably by two 17500s? If that is the case, aren't there implications for output, beam color, etc?

Thanks,

Tony

The cells come off the charger @4.20v (peak) each, that's a total of 8.40v. The 17500 cells handle the load much better than the primary cr123's thus providing a flat runtime.

Dave

lightoftheworld

Newly Enlightened
Please tell me the website address for these AW protected batteries. Can anyone give me a link?

I have two TL-3s, and I don't use either of them, because my Pilas won't work in them.

I've only been using my Surefire with Pilas. I would love to be able to use my TL-3s.

TBrogden

Newly Enlightened
Dukester said:
The cells come off the charger @4.20v (peak) each, that's a total of 8.40v. The 17500 cells handle the load much better than the primary cr123's thus providing a flat runtime.

Dave

Thanks, Dave!

TBrogden

Newly Enlightened
Paul,

For some reason, I had previously missed your reply to my question. Thanks very much for the info. It really helped clarify the situation. I've now ordered the 17500s.

Thanks again.

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
I have never had to double tap to get the P91 to light up on 2 x 150S, but I think I have read somewhere that the earlier ones had a less sensative protection circut?