My KL1+FB1 arrived- Now w/photo of KL4/FB1 vs Q3

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I received the order I had placed with Lighthound over the weekend (BTW-Good luck to John, who lives directly in the path of Hurricane Rita).

As much as I still love my 10 month-old Q3, I've been wanting to find something at least as good, but with higher overall quality (fit and finish, etc). After a lot of reading I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Surefire KL1 head, along with the Vital Gear FB1 body.

I had read enough about the KL1 to know that it has little in the way of spill...(well, that certainly turned out to be the case). To help deal with that I also odered a F04 beamshaper from John so that I could diffuse the otherwise tight beam, enough to give me more flood when needed.

Initially, I was quite disappointed! I didn't at all care for the beam from the KL1 (2nd gen),..Although the center is bright and plenty white, I couldn't stop feeling annoyed by its yellow corona. I guess maybe I'm just too spoiled by the very white and very smooth beam of my Q3 (I definitely won the lottery on that one!). I thought that if the KL1 had a lot more throw than the Q3, then maybe that could have made up for its lack of spill. While it certainly does have throw, I am by no means blown away.

I tried using the beamshaper and was even more disappointed. It does go a long way in allowing the KL1 to have plenty of flood, but it's at the cost of lumens...big time.

I wanted so bad to really like this light combo. The Vital Gear body is shorter than the E1E body, which makes the combo of the KL1 with the FB1, almost exactly the same length as the Q3. And the fit and finish is definitely an improvement over the Q3.

But then I did have a very pleasant (and lucky) surprise later in the day. I stopped off at a local Chesapeake Knife & Tool store (part of a chain of 19 stores) to show the new light combo to the manager who's a friend of mine. They carry a sizeable collection of Surefire lights and accessories. While I was there I took a look at the F04 beamshaper they had in the case. The lens appeared to be a little different than the lens on the F04 beamshaper I had purchased, so out of curiosity I tried it out. It's identified as the same model as the one I bought, but the lens was MUCH less dense than mine. When I tried the new one on my KL1/FB1 the beam was suddenly quite similar to the beam of my Q3!!!

I'd heard that there were two different versions of the beamshaper out there...well now I own both and I can tell you, there's a huge difference! The 1st one I got definitely makes for a lot of flood...but I felt that I lost way too much lumens in the process to suit my taste. The 2nd one offers considerably less spill, but happily, enables enough spill to turn the tight, bright beam of the KL1 into more useable light for close-up situations.

Overall, with the beamshaper on the KL1/FB1, it's still not quite as much flood as my Q3 but it's close...and it does have ever so slightly more throw. But when I remove the beamshaper, it then has way more throw than the Q3.

Although it's now definitely a decent competitor to take the place of my Q3 as my EDC...the KL1/FB1 is still not the runaway winner I had hoped for... And so the search continues...

A couple of possibilities:
While I was at Chesapeake Knife & Tool, I removed a KL4 from one of their L4's and tried it on the Vital Gear body. I knew that normally it would be underdriven by the single 123, but I was using a rechargeable 123...and it worked great! It had way more spill than the KL1...and that was without the beamshaper. So that's a definite contender. :)

I'd sure love to find something with more throw but still have a fair amount of spill, so I'm also looking at some of the 2-cell options.... But that opens a whole, new can of worms...and defeats my plan of keeping the EDC as small as possible (FYI- I'm perfectly comfortable wearing the Q3 in a holster on my belt and prefer to continue wearing a holster for any future light. With my arm at my side it's barely noticeable, and of course when I wear a suit, you can't see it at all).

Speaking of EDC's,...I'm now taking a hard look at the HDS EDC Basic 60 (I have no need or desire for all the other features that come with the EDC Ultimate's models). Can anybody tell me if the HDS has any spill at all?

I'm also waiting with high hopes for the delivery of the Fenix L1P (2.5). If it's all that it's rumored to be, it might just become my new EDC and I can stop my searching for a perfect light (yeah, like that's gonna happen). ;)

Last edited:

Hikaru

Newly Enlightened
Re: My KL1+FB1 arrived- Possible replacement for my Q3?

Osprey_Guy said:
A couple of possibilities:
While I was at Chesapeake Knife & Tool, I removed a KL4 from one of their L4's and tried it on the Vital Gear body. I knew that normally it would be underdriven by the single 123, but I was using a rechargeable 123...and it worked great! It had way more spill than the KL1...and that was without the beamshaper. So that's a definite contender. :)

When you say the L4 has more spill than the KL1, you're speaking of the KL1 with the beamshaper correct? I have an L4 and I keep wondering about how it compares spill-wise to a KL1 plus the F04.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened

I'm sorry if I didn't make that perfectly clear...

The KL4 is the head that's used on the L4 model. It is now available as a conversion head for Surefire E2's...http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr=6&prrfnbr=1137&sesent=0,0

The FB1 body made by Vital Gear is shorter and slimmer than Surefire's E1 body and can be used with either the 3 watt KL1 head or the 5 watt KL4 head. But since the Vital Gear FB1 body* only uses a single 123 cell (3 volts), the KL4 would normally be underdriven... unless you use a rechargeable 123 cell. With its 3.6-4.2 volts, the rechargeable 123 puts out enough to handle the KL4.

Here's what John from Lighthound.com wrote to back when I had previously inquired about using the KL4 head:
They do fit the FB1 body and work, but they are under-driven on 1 cell. They work pretty well with rechargeable 3.6 volt batteries, though. They are slightly smaller than the KL1, and they use a reflector instead of an optic.

So not only does it work on the FB1 but with the slightly smaller KL4 head the KL4/FB1 combo is even shorter than the KL1/FB1 combo. (The KL1 with the FB1 body is 3 1/2" in length).

Lucky for me, at the time I stopped into that store, I happen to have been using a rechargeable 123 in my KL1/FB1. When I put the KL4 on the Vital Gear body, the rechargeable 123 cell obviously worked well because the KL4 put a terrific beam with a respectable amount of spill (and that was without the beamshaper!). It may not be getting the full benefit of the KL4's 5 watts, but it was still a very nice beam.

*Vital Gear also makes a 2-cell, as well as a 3-cell version.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened

Oooops! Sorry about all that... I mis-read your question.

To put it simply, the KL4 head had far more spill than the KL1 head...and it looked like it had about as much spill as the KL1 coupled with the 2nd beamshaper (the less dense beamshaper that provided the smaller/brighter spill).

JanCPF

Enlightened

That sounds interesting with the two different beam shapers. Is there any way to tell the two apart, either on the package or on the F04 it self?

Jan

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened

If you had both side-by-side you would know right away which one was less "dense"...

But on their own it's still fairly easy to tell. The lens of the "dense" version is almost opaque. If you hold the "dense" version any more than two or three inches away from any object and try looking at the object through the lens, you'll be able to make out very little if anything at all.

The less dense version is far more translucent...Although everything will look fuzzy you will at least be able to make out some detail. If you can see anything through the lens, then you've got the version that I prefer.

Let me say again, the more dense version is not necessarily a bad thing...it definitely allows much more flood...and a much smoother flood that pretty much fills a room, but it comes at a huge cost in lumens.

For my tastes, the less dense version is simply a better compromise. I guess it comes down to being a subjective thing.

JanCPF

Enlightened

Thanks Dennis. What I actually ment was how to designate the right one when I order one from an online retailer. Is there a serial number, that perhaps could be used to distinguish them?

Jan

Last edited:

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened

Although I had read somewhere in these forums that Surefire had made two different versions, and I in fact discivered that for myself, I can not find and reference to a 2nd model number. The first one I recfeived was ordered as a F04 Beamshaper, and the 2nd one I bought (the less opaque of the two) simply says "SUREFIRE Model F04 Filter Beamshaper Tip On Filter Assembly for E1 and E2 Executive Flashlights" on the package.

And a visit to Surefire's website doesn't reveal anything other than the one model: The F04 Beamshaper.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I suppose that if you're thinking of ordering from someone you could always ask if they would be willing to take a look and see if the model they had in stock was at all transparent (or Opaque, depending on which version you prefer).

I'm curious...I was certain that the KL4 I tried out yesterday had a lot more spill than my KL1 or any of the KL1's they had at the store. Do you feel that your L4 (with the KL4 head) provides much in the way of spill?

JanCPF

Enlightened

The KL4/L4 is what we often refer to as 'the wall of light'. It's an awesome floodlight with a wide hotspot and a very bright side spill. It hasn't got the throw of the new 4th gen. KL1, but forinstance for walking in the woods it's nearly perfect. It was my favorite walking light before I got the L5, which has that extra throw due to the larger reflector, but still has loads of spill.

Jan

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened

Well. I went ahead and picked up an L4 today...Took the KL4 head off and put it on the FB1 (using a rechargeable 123). I was stunned by the result. IT KICKS BUTT!!! :twothumbs

It's got a lot more flood than my Q3, it's considerably brighter, and with more throw. And....(and this is a BIG AND)...because it's using a reflector instead of optics, the KL4 is shorter than the KL1, and with the Vital Gear FB1 body roughly 3/8" shorter then the E1E body, this is now one small, very bright flashlight!!!! Total length is now just a hair over 3 1/4". And as an added bonus, unlike the SF E1 body, the tail of the FB1 allows it to stand in candle mode. I couldn't be happier!!!

I've now got the KL1 on the L4 body, and that's working pretty damn nice as well. Lots of throw.

I wound up with more flashlights than originally planned...but then there's nothing wrong with that. :grin2:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

Osprey_Guy said:
...Can anybody tell me if the HDS has any spill at all?...
Yes it has good spill. Beam is roughly similar to your Q3 -- a soft spot, not too broad, not too narrow. Ideal for ranges up to 40-50 yards, and great for close up work.

My HDS has the best beam pattern of all my lights.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Keep in mind that when you reduce the size of the light body you also reduce the mass of aluminum possibly making the light run HOTTER, not necessarly a good thing with these tiny little light rockets.
Yaesumofo

Osprey_Guy said:
Oooops! Sorry about all that... I mis-read your question.

To put it simply, the KL4 head had far more spill than the KL1 head...and it looked like it had about as much spill as the KL1 coupled with the 2nd beamshaper (the less dense beamshaper that provided the smaller/brighter spill).

Grummond

Newly Enlightened

Hi Dennis.

I also received my KL1 – VG FB1 combo from John at Lighthound last week.

I have three Q3's and have been using them for quite a while.
The one Q3 was pretty dim in comparison to the others and tint was very much on the cream side.
The other is quite nice and the 3rd is one of the whitest Luxeons I have seen.

If comparing the best Q3 I have to the Kl-FB1 combo I would say that around the house the Q3 is more practical as it has such a nice even flood.
However outside I love using the KL1-FB1 as it just simply has that ability to punch out into the darkness more than the Q3 and obviously as the distance increases that narrow beam opens up and becomes very usable.(Bearing mind how small this package is.)

The thing I really like about the KL1-FB1 combo is the clip.
For my needs I much prefer having the clip holding the light face down and find it very usable.
I also find the switch on the FB1 to be very nice and of course it can stand on it's end for candle mode if needed.

Sounds good with your new KL4-FB1 set up I think I'll have to drop John an email and find out if he can get the KL4 head as I have not seen it on his site, in fact I see he's got a message on his site saying he's temporarily closed due to hurricane Rita.
I hope he's holding out okay and of course that goes to the rest of our members in the effected areas. Fingers crossed!

Simon.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened

According to the address on the package I received from John, he lives between Houston and Galveston (I did a Google) and that's not far from Beaumont, which I understand has gotten clobbered by Rita. I do hope John's OK.

Soon after receiving my KL1/FB1 combo from John (along with a F04 beamshaper, which I had assumed would diffuse the narrow beam of the KL1 enough to satisfy my needs), I realized that even with the help of the Beamshaper the KL1, with it's considerable throw and little sidespill, was not going to work for me. So I did some more research and that's when I came up with the idea of using the KL4.

I contacted Joh via e-mail (just before he left to get out of the path of the oncoming hurricane), and he advised me that he did not have any KL4's. By then I was anxious to get my hands on a KL4, so I hopped over to the nearby mall and bought a L4 from Chesapeake Knife &Tool.

So now I have two flashlights from what started out to be one. The KL1 coupled with the L4 body works fine, but I've now got some other plans for those two "leftover parts" and will probably be returning the KL1 to John (he already said it'd be OK to return it). I want to trade it in for something else from John...something which I believe will deliver some really serious throw in a relatively small package (I figure if I'm gonna get a 2nd flashlight out of this it might as well be a "throw monster"). I'll let you know what I have in mind when I put it all together. ;)

In the meantime, I am thrilled with the KL4/FB1!

BTW- Just goes to show you how we all have different tastes/needs...While it is a first-rate clip, I much prefer to keep my light in a "holster" on my belt, so I plan on taking the clip off of my FB1...probably within the next hour or so. I can always put it back on if I change my mind. :)

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

My kl1 on Fb1 sucks.

-David

sbebenelli

Enlightened

cheapo said:
My kl1 on Fb1 sucks.

-David

Just wondering what you don't like about it? Is it the no side spill or the FB1? Explain please :poke:

Grummond

Newly Enlightened

Dennis thanks for the link to the KL4 head on B/S/T, it's tempting but right now due to my dubious financial disposition I'll have to wait a while.

Thanks to you I've been scanning Johns site looking for the ingredients of this "little throw monster".

Hmmm… I think I'll have to drop him an email and find out what it is you are ordering. (Just kidding).

Do you know of any links to a photo of the KL4-FB1 combo maybe next to a Q3 for size reference?

Thanks again.

Simon

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened

How's this for fast service... :D

First time for me to shoot any of my flashlights with my Nikon 8700 (I bought it to take pics of my knives and I've yet to figure out how to use it properly...The menu is especially complicated).

52479427-ca4f-01F80194-.jpg

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

sbebenelli said:
Just wondering what you don't like about it? Is it the no side spill or the FB1? Explain please :poke:

The FB1 with KL1 isnt as bright as a E1E with KL1.... the resistace in the tailcap sucks.

-David