KL4 on a one cell body

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have experience with the KL4 on a one cell body, such as E1x? Especially with regards to battery runtime. How long would the KL4 be in regulation with one CR123? I have an E1L, and I also have an E2L body. I recently ordered a KL4 head, and was just wondering which head to put where. Sizewise, I really would like to have the KL4 on the E1L body, but I don't know if this makes sense.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, using a single standard CR123 with the KL4 head will not run in regulation at all. There is not enough voltage (about 3.2v). It will run in regulation with a single rechargeable (Li-Ion) R123 though, because they come off the charger at ~4.2v

Last edited:

JanCPF

Enlightened
elgarak,

It makes great sense to put a KL4 head on an E1e body if you use a R123 recargeable Li-Ion as Sean said. It will run in full regulation for about 25-30 min. Add a McE2S two stage tail cap, and you'll also have a low mode for longer (however unregulated) runtime.

Jan

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Im using my KL4 on an E1L. Using a Battery Station protected rechargeably 123 battery. Works great. I cant comment on the runtime since I havent tested it. It sure is a lot of light out of a small package. Any recommendations on what resistor to use in a two stage tailcap in this configuration? Thanks.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems I'm stuck with the KL4 on the E2, until I can get myself up to jump into rechargeables...

Thanks for the info, guys!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
elgarak said:
Seems I'm stuck with the KL4 on the E2, until I can get myself up to jump into rechargeables...

Thanks for the info, guys!

Rechargeables are pretty cheap. You can get a protected R123 for about $6.00 and nano charger for about $6.00. So for $12 + shipping you can be set.

Or you can get this set:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89775

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
elgarak said:
Does anyone have experience with the KL4 on a one cell body, such as E1x? Especially with regards to battery runtime. How long would the KL4 be in regulation with one CR123? I have an E1L, and I also have an E2L body. I recently ordered a KL4 head, and was just wondering which head to put where. Sizewise, I really would like to have the KL4 on the E1L body, but I don't know if this makes sense.

Here is a pair I have been playing with for a while now.
twins.jpg

They stay bright quite long at least 20 minutes. They get very hot too. I mean HOT.
Yaesumofo

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
They get very hot too. I mean HOT

I've been playing with my KL4/FB1 combo all afternoon and evening, and from my short experience I have to say that my Q3 definitely gets hotter, quicker than the KL4/FB1 (this does get warm, but just not as warm as the Q3)....And I too am very impressed with how long it works off the CR123.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is one great feature of these lights. When they are on in your pocket you know it quickly. There is no ignoring it. My Q3's are little heaters too.

You want to pull out an ovetbuilt little one cell light with a 5 watt LED then this combination cannot be beat!! The LUXV really seemed to out of fashion when the LUX III emitters became available. I have allways liked the LUXV emitter. Some tints I have seen look great!! The beam is just a big fat hotspot compard to the lux III emitter. I get the feeling that the LUXV may make a quick comeback before we see many of the K2 emitters.

I am all for devolopment of small hand held LUXV flashlights. I have an aleph 2 with a LUXV in it that I run in the same configuration as the KL4 lights.

I want a McLUXVPD.
Yaesumofo

Osprey_Guy said:
I've been playing with my KL4/FB1 combo all afternoon and evening, and from my short experience I have to say that my Q3 definitely gets hotter, quicker than the KL4/FB1 (this does get warm, but just not as warm as the Q3)....And I too am very impressed with how long it works off the CR123.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Never had the "hot in the pocket" issue. :grin2:

I wore my Q3 in a pouch on my belt for the past 10 months...but it's a cheap nylon belt that I never got around to improving. Earlier this evening I stopped off at an Eastern Mountain camping goods store and found a tiny little Leatherman snap pouch, which works perfect with the KL4/FB1. It's leather with elastic sides and a snap closure...

I'm gonna take the new light w/pouch for a test drive over the next couple of days and see how it flies. I'm so enthused with this new little light that it might just warrant my breaking down and making a custom pouch. I have some very gorgeous, exotic skins which I've acquired due to my knifemaking (I have yet to make a pouch for any of my knives...but I sure have some great skins!). ;)

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't it about as easy to make 2 pouches as it is for one?

Will you make me one while you are at it?
Yaesumofo
Osprey_Guy said:
Never had the "hot in the pocket" issue. :grin2:

I wore my Q3 in a pouch on my belt for the past 10 months...but it's a cheap nylon belt that I never got around to improving. Earlier this evening I stopped off at an Eastern Mountain camping goods store and found a tiny little Leatherman snap pouch, which works perfect with the KL4/FB1. It's leather with elastic sides and a snap closure...

I'm gonna take the new light w/pouch for a test drive over the next couple of days and see how it flies. I'm so enthused with this new little light that it might just warrant my breaking down and making a custom pouch. I have some very gorgeous, exotic skins which I've acquired due to my knifemaking (I have yet to make a pouch for any of my knives...but I sure have some great skins!). ;)

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a normal single 123, it really depends on the vf of the luxeon in your KL4 whether its gonna light or not. If it does, you should expect a runtime of little under 30 min. Using an R123 gaurantees it will light since 4.2v seems to work on all Kl/L 4s up to date (With the Pila 168s cell). But on a single cell you really shouldnt ever expect a long runtime, but 1 celled 5 watters still put out loads of light.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
My office is in my basement (my workshop is in the room next door). That's why I can stay up all night playing with and talking about flashlights without waking my wife and daughter. ;) Other than two halogen desk lights on either side of my computer, I don't have any other lights turned on at the moment so the basement is currently pitch-black.

In my travels over the past couple of days, just for ha-ha's, I also picked up a Maxfire at Target ($16.99) and a Dorcy Spider at Lowe's ($19.99). So I've been sitting here trying out all my new lights, and various combinations thereof... and I am more than ever blown away by the "wall of light" being put out by the KL4/FB1...really quite amazing.

Isn't it about as easy to make 2 pouches as it is for one?
:laughing:

Let me figure out how to make the 1st one...and then we'll see about a 2nd. Just to tease you a bit more, I have a pretty sizeable piece of wild-looking, purple-dyed Ostrich, some very cool water buffalo hide, and my favorite-about 18" in length piece of real, honest-to-goodness Sting Ray (jet black). The sting ray is about as dramatic as it gets and I'll probably use that for my pouch when the time comes. I only work on my knives part-time and with a knife show coming up, I need to first get a couple of knives off of my bench before tackling the pouch.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Osprey_Guy said:
:laughing:

Let me figure out how to make the 1st one...and then we'll see about a 2nd. Just to tease you a bit more, I have a pretty sizeable piece of wild-looking, purple-dyed Ostrich, some very cool water buffalo hide, and my favorite-about 18" in length piece of real, honest-to-goodness Sting Ray (jet black). The sting ray is about as dramatic as it gets and I'll probably use that for my pouch when the time comes. I only work on my knives part-time and with a knife show coming up, I need to first get a couple of knives off of my bench before tackling the pouch.

You are a tease I used to have a 1961 series 2a Landrover truck (in africa) with a Cape buffalo hide, clip on roof. One of my favorite vehicles ever and I love the buffalo roof. I know tthere is a big difference between water buffalo and the cape. You just gave me a pleasant memory by mentioning the buffalo hide you have there. Ostrich is cool too Either will last a lifetime.
Please don't forget I asked first. I feel so teased just because I feel like there is a maybe in there somewhere between the lines.
Great!
Yaesumofo

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick update: Got my KL4 head. Unfortunately, on the 1-cell body it gives about half the brightness than it has on the 2-cell (with a nearly new Surefire 123 in the 1-cell, measured with my trusty cheap-o lux-meter). Otherwise, the KL4 output is great! Nice and white, perfect tint. Will keep it on the 2-cell body for now. Thanks again for all the information.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
elgarak said:
Just a quick update: Got my KL4 head. Unfortunately, on the 1-cell body it gives about half the brightness than it has on the 2-cell (with a nearly new Surefire 123 in the 1-cell, measured with my trusty cheap-o lux-meter). Otherwise, the KL4 output is great! Nice and white, perfect tint. Will keep it on the 2-cell body for now. Thanks again for all the information.

The KL4 will not run in regulation from one SF123 because the voltage is too low (3v). It will however run in regulation from one rechargeable R123 because the voltage is 4.2v fresh off the charger. So a rechargeable 123 is something to consider. :)

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I strongly second what Sean suggested,...Try putting a rechargeable in the one cell body and you'll see a HUGE difference!...Pretty close to what you're getting out of the 2 cell using CR123's (In case you're considering it,...do not try using 2 rechargeables in the 2-cell as that'll deliver as much as 8.4 volts...way too much for the KL4).

Last edited: