D Mag dimensions

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of buying a Mag in order to mod it and find out that nothing fits, could anyone do some measurements for me? I don't own a Maglite yet.

What's the inner diameter of the hole for the switch?
What's the inner diameter of the battery tube (D Mag)? I know that a D size battery is 34,2 mm in diameter, or close to it, but last time I checked there where plenty of room left between the battery and the tube.
What's the wall thicknesses of the battery tube?

Thanks!
/Andreas

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the inner diameter of the hole for the switch? = the inner diameter of the battery tube
What's the inner diameter of the battery tube (D Mag)? +/- 34.15mm
What's the wall thicknesses of the battery tube? +/- 2.55mm

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Only "stock" Mag I own is a 3D. Switch button hole measures .655"/16.64mm. I.D. measures 1.350"/34.29mm, and the wall seems to be .100"/2.54mm. You'll need to average the measurements we give you due to Mag's manufacturing tolerances and our measuring tolerances.

Larry

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd,

Thank you very much!
Well, this will require some time with the mill... :wave:

I find it strange though that you need to bore out the battery tube in order to fit 4* 14500 in there. 14+14*sqrt(2)= 33.8 mm < 34.29 mm. However, I have seen tolerances up to 14.3 mm max for the battery diameter (still talking about the 14500) which leads to a 34.52 mm wide battery pack.

/Andreas

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
"14" mm batteries are rarely 14mm.. mine typically measure 14.3... not sure how you worked that to get the requirement i 'cheat' using 'snap to' on my 3d modeling software when i want to figure out if things fit. ;)

-awr