Flashlights with a dimmer option

Raccoon

Enlightened
I'm looking for a list of flashlights that have a dimmer option. Searching these forums is proving difficult since everyone seems so familiar with these lights by name/model alone, that classifications like "dimming" are lost.

Anyone wishing to list those that they are familiar with, please include whether the dimmer is analog (dial/switch) or digital (computer controlled). Please also indicate the basic specs of the light, such as "3W Luxeon Star, 3 AA batt, $20~35" or "5 Red LED, 3 AAA, $15~20", and maybe a link too. :)

Thank you!

Fruitjacknix

Newly Enlightened
Here is one...

I have this light and for the money it can't be beat-Nuwai 3 Watt Luxeon LED Flashlight TM301-X-3. You can find it for about 42.00 at lighthound.com. I have purchased from before and have only excellent things to say about them!!! Excellent prices and excellent service!! Hope this helps! Michael

Raccoon

Enlightened
Are there any 3~5 Watt Luxeons that use AA or C cells, or rechargable lithium batteries like the Inova T4?

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Raccoon said:
Are there any 3~5 Watt Luxeons that use AA or C cells, or rechargable lithium batteries like the Inova T4?

Yes, there are a few, but they don't have the dimming option.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only rechargeables that fit this category might be the LionCub and Lionheart lights, which were limited run lights which had dimming functions via UI Mode 0. You can find them for sale on the B/S/T Lights forum, though they don't come cheap. Otherwise, a U2 can dim to any of 6 light levels, but is around $250.

Raccoon

Enlightened
There are none with rechargable lithium batteries either? I would say the T4 is a light right up my alley, but I really wish it had a dimming option.

I'm still interested in other lights with dimming options, but I'd rather avoid having to spend money on CR123's.

I'm also looking for dimming red led flashlights. Wasn't there one that ran on a 9volt years ago?

Raccoon

Enlightened
I do remember reading these forums when the Lionheart came out. That was a very nice light-- sad that no major manufacturer ever picked it up.

Who manufactures the U2?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raccoon said:
I do remember reading these forums when the Lionheart came out. That was a very nice light-- sad that no major manufacturer ever picked it up.

Who manufactures the U2?

The Lionheart was always intended as a custom design and was a semi-homemade, and was never designed to be mass-manufactured, IIRC. You can find them on the B/S/T forums, and they use rechargeable lithiums.

The U2 I mentioned is the Surefire U2, a LuxV driven by 2x123's, and it has 6 stages of lighting, IIRC. I don't know of any dimming red lights - at least, there aren't any I'm aware of which went beyond 'low' and 'high' like my PALight.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS U42, U60 and U85 have digital brightness control, 20 levels. For the U60, it varies from 60 to 0.08 lumens. User can select four presets from the 20 levels. U60 cost about $180. 1x 123A, Luxeon I emitter. Accepts either primary or rechargeable batteries.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm

The Surefire U2 has six different brightness levels, digitally selected via a selector ring. Output varies from 80+ to 2 lumens. Cost about $270, 2x 123A, Luxeon V emitter.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_u2.htm

The Eternalight series have digital brightness control, I think 13 levels. Cost varies by model. 3x AA, 4x 5mm LEDs.

http://www.techass.com/el/el1.php
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/eternalight_ergomarine.htm

greenLED

Flashaholic
Surefire U2

6 levels
2x123 (or 1 Pila 168S)

We're running a passaround right now in case you're interested. (check the Groupbuys and passarounds section for the link).

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight sells one they call a Digital Dimmer/Strobe Tail Cap, fits their SL-35X. I have one and works great....

Dave

Raccoon

Enlightened
Pretty sexy light body, but the NiCad batteries rather scare me. I wonder if this can be modified to accept NiMHs or Li-Ions, and perhaps fitted with a Luxeon bulb.

I assume this is an unregulated light, due to its tail cap accessory. How well do Li-Ion batteries stand up to unregulated lights? Is such a hack even possible?

Last edited: