How to remove lens from Stinger??

juancho

Enlightened
Friend of mine overseas have a Stinger (with a big head) I haven't seen the light.
He ask how to remove the lens for cleaning.
I imagine it is not the usual way as he is not that dumb.
Anyone?
Maybe pictures too?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Ultrastinger lens is only removable with a special tool from Streamlight. The end user can remove it, but the lens will break.

-dan

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that it's not designed to be removed by the end user. FiveMega knows how because he sells Borroglass upgrades; you send him your Stinger head, he installs the glass.

Ah--I just reread your post. You have the plastic-lens Ultrastinger head. Forget what I said. I suspect that Streamlight would suggest that you buy a new head when the old one gets too scratched up. At it's low price point, I doubt it would include a way to remove the lens.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have a glass lens solution for the Ultrastinger?

If you run an upgraded bulb, it is not a problem of scratches, but melting.

Are the Stinger HP heads and the Ultrastinger head the same diameter?

FiveMega must have one of those $70 Streamlight tools. Wonder if it would work on the US if we can find a glass lens the correct size.

Mark

oklalawman

Enlightened
A big hammer works well.....

Honestly you can not put a glass lense in the hp head. Five mega's is putting the boro lense in the small regular size stinger head. The big one takes a tool that flexs the lense to install it. It will not work with glass. There is no real high temp replacement at this time.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: oklalawman-

Not the answer I wanted to hear, but it does clear up some confusion.

I will soon have two lens assemblies Maybe just run one without any lens when using hot bulb. I am pretty sure the WA0111 will melt the plastic one in short order.

Maybe try to come up with a way to mount a slightly smaller glass lens by securing with an o-ring or a wire ring of some sort.

Thanks
Mark

oklalawman

Enlightened
I have thought about a mag charger borofloat lense, and some high temp silicone. On five megas 168 X 3 conversion, he states that it will melt and deform after running a while. I have one but have not run it long enough to do that. He claims after it deforms the first coupole of times it will stop. I have one of his 2 X 168 mods and that is what it did. It deformed to a level
then stopped. It only really effected the looks.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a rough design for a glass lense replacement for an ultrastinger. But I don't have the tools, nor the engineering know-how to create it.

It would work, but would be incredibly cost prohibitive, adn simply not worth it, except for the learning curve of it all....

--dan

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've actually seen FM's HP head that he said had deformed slightly. It really wasn't bad at all. At first glance, I didn't even see what he was talking about. I had to look very closely. I don't think it's something anybody would really be concerned with. Many wouldn't even notice.