Help me mod this Dorcy 1W lantern

moraino

Enlightened
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/fourth/3wlant.htm

I bought this 1W Dorch just like the one in the abbove link except it is using an 1W side emitter instead of a 3W star. I paid 18 CDN$ at 3 Vet camping store in Vancouver.

The color is whitter than any Luxeon I have. The beam is very concentrated but with rings.

The emitter is so mounted like a PR bulb. It is sitting on top of a plastic PR base so there is very little heatsinking.

The resister is 12.8 ohm, so it draws about 500mA when battery is new and down to maybe 2~300mA and lower. As you can see it is wasting a lot of energy, about 3W when batter is new. I am stingy.

I remember there are many thread by Doug using LM334 as current regulator. I would like to provide this lantern with spec. current, 350mA, if the circuit is obtainable. I have some resister, and lm334 but I believe it also need some HIGH curent transistor to complete the cuircuit.

Can some masters show me some light as to which transistor is the most effecient for this purpose and where I can get one in order to mod this plastic bulb based Lexeon light? Thanks in advance.

Henry

moraino

Enlightened
I am wondering if this post should be in Cuircuit and Batteries group. Please move it there, administrator, if you are reading this post. Thanks.

Henry

Latest posts