M3T w/Lux V vs. L6

XenonM3

Enlightened
Hi Tyler,

I have both the L6 and 5watt module for the SF turbohead, and I must say that the 5watt Module is way Brighter.

My L6 has a white beam with a nice hotspot and sidespill, but the 5 watt module has a white beam with a more intense hotspot and almost double sidespill, I will post the beamshots together when I take some pictures tommorow.

I posted some pictures of the module with my setup in this thread, I am planning to test out the module in a 3" turbohead when it arrives.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93393

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
KFC made one a while back. He pmed me with all the info on it. I could post them with his permission. I am pretty sure the M3T will outthrow the L6. Also, is the 5 watter being direct driven, or is it possible to put some kind of circuitry in there?

Whoa imagine... UxxH lux III on a DB 1000 runnin on 3x123s..... thats it, im saving up.

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I not only have done the comparisons, but have some images to prove how awesome the Turbo Head + 5W LED Module do when I was evaluating the prototype 2-level switch for "C" bodies from Don (McGizmo).

The Turbo Head (the standard 2.5", not the 3" being talked here) + 5W LED simply blows away the L6, even when the L6 was hot-rodded to run at 1Amp:

Here is my L6 (modded for 1A) on LOW and then HIGH
IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

And finaly, here is my M4 with a TurboHead and an LED module built by me using a LuxV WX1T with a Downboy @ 1A, LOW then HIGH:
IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

Will

XenonM3

Enlightened
You beat me to it Will, very nice beamshots by the way. :goodjob:

is the 5 watter being direct driven, or is it possible to put some kind of circuitry in there?

There is definately room in mine for a circuit and it has one, I am guessing a downboy driving my Led at 1amp.

hey Will was it easy to mod your L6? I am interested in doing that too, maybe switching out the 5watt Led and replacing it with a newer one.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I just built a module with a W and a Downboy 833, and I was amazed at how far it throws. It's freaking awesome. I was thinking I would build this just to say I did it and then sell it off, but I think I'll keep this one.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tyler durden, and chance you can build another one?

wquiles

Flashaholic
XenonM3 said:
hey Will was it easy to mod your L6? I am interested in doing that too, maybe switching out the 5watt Led and replacing it with a newer one.

More or less. I got the information from forum member CM several months ago. You have to solder some very small surface mount resistors inside the LED driver module in order to change the current setpoint. Depending on the values you have available, you will get between 1.0 and 1.2 Amps, which is fine given the excellent heat transfer to the huge head in the L6. I no longer have the L6, but I think I keep some records somewhere - let me know if you really want to go through with this so that I can try dig the details up ;)

Will

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent most of my flashaholic budget to build a "W" binned nFlex Mag 2D-8AA. I really wish I would've seen this thread first.

A two-stage 9P w/ appropriate turbo head and "W" binned module like this is really all I needed. :(

Anyone up for a partial trade? :)

Jon