need help locating bulb!!!

Brian R.

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I need help locating a replacement bulb for an old flashlight I have. The company was named Tekna (I don't think they're in business anymore). The flashlight model is the Tekna-Lite 8. It takes 8 AA batteries. The bulb has the following stamped into the metal part: TEKNA KRYPTON 9.8V

I'm kind of new to all this so I'm not sure exactly what type of bulb it is. I'll try to describle it: the top part is clear glass and has a dome top. Inside are 2 little wires with a filament running between the 2. The bottom part is silver metal with a small flange between the metal bottom and the glass top. There are no threads on the metal part so I guess it just pushes in.
That's the best I can do.

Can anyone help me find a replacement bulb like the one I've described??

I checked on the internet with flashlight/bulb merchants but nobody seems to have what I need.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Brian

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I am not POSITIVE, but it sounds like you could use any standard PR base, 8 cell bulb to me. Those would be rated to 9.6 volts, but I think it still would work. It would probably be a lot easier to find than the bulb you are looking for.

Sorry for the non-answer,
Spud

LightBright

Enlightened
Do you have access to a digital camera so you could post it here? "A picture is worth a thousand words"
grin.gif

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Brian..I have that light!! One of my first real lights. The battery carriage has been broken for years, then, after coming to this forum, I bought a replacement at Radio Shack. Fresh batts and the thing lit up as bright as ever..less than a surge, but bright and very white. I bought 9.6 volt Dewalt replacement lamps, but I think they will be yellower> Try radio shack ...the bulbs are about $2...go krypton or halogen if you can

Brian R.

Newly Enlightened
LightBright,

Don't have access to a digital camera at this point. Might get one for Christmas. I'll see if I can provide a link that will take you/others to a website that has a picture of what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian R.

Newly Enlightened
Geoff in Philly,

No way! You have this light? I thought I might be the only one because I never see it discussed on CPF. I've used it for years and really like it. I'll try Radio Shack as you suggested. Thanks for the help.

Brian

P.S. I'm looking at buying a PT Surge (black) in the near future. It seems like a lot of flashlight for a relatively low cost. I've never actually used the Surge, but it seems like a lot of people on CPF really like theirs!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
Here's a tekna-2 with it's clear bezel head covered with a black shroud. Only pic I could find.
http://www.permaflate.com/t22c.jpg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Doug....
Looks a lot like the old Tekna lights from the 1980s were the precursors of the Tektite Co's current products .
wink.gif

p.s.-your links site sure comes in handy..thanks
smile.gif

yet another Doug

Brian R.

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I found a photo of the type of bulb I'm looking for (see link below). The one in the photo is the wrong voltage (mine is 9.8V) but it looks the same as mine. Hope this helps folks to help me find this bulb.

Thanks,

Brian

Top Bulb

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's known as a "PR base", although the lamp is described as miniature.
If it's an 8AA body that's running with a 9.8V lamp, then it has to be a nominal 12V, the AA's dropping under load to 9.8V. (??)

Try this link, Reflectalite,
LIGHT BULB FINDER FOR BICYCLES TORCHES FLASHLIGHTS LANTERNS SLIDE VIEWERS http://www.reflectalite.com/

Tekna do seem to have gone out of business, but a search engine will find places which still stock their products, at least the knives and diving gear in their name.

lightlover
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
smile.gif
shocked.gif

Brian R.

Newly Enlightened
Something Ridiculous,

You stated "If it's an 8AA body that's running with a 9.8V lamp, then it has to be a nominal 12V, the AA's dropping under load to 9.8V. (??)" I'm not very technically advanced yet. I'm not sure what you mean.
Could you please explain?

Thanks for the help,

Brian

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brian, that was too quick !!

I was just returning, to edit in a phrase that I didn't successfully include in that post, immediately after the two question marks, (??):

"But you should check with someone who really knows what they are talking about"

Honest, I was. Really. But you beat me to it.

Will someone please explain, (for my benefit too ... ) what is the relationship between the "battery under load" value and it's nominal rating.

Also, once you've established that, how do you work out the Amperage range of a lamp that would work ?

lightlover
blush.gif
shocked.gif
confused.gif
:wow: