Replacement for Maglite 2AA

Outrager

Newly Enlightened
My Maglite 2AA recently just died (a battery corroded or something and is now stuck inside the battery compartment. I don't even know how that happened). I am looking for a replacement. I would like to try one of the LED flashlights. I usually use my flashlight when I'm working inside my computer or whenever a quick light is needed.

I've been looking at the Arc-AAA because I read about how great it is on DansData.com. I haven't looked into any other lights, though. This might sound dumb, but how does the brightness of the Arc-AAA compare to the Maglite 2AA? Also, what's the difference between the normal Arc-AAA and the Premium Edition?

Are there any other suggestions for a good bright LED flashlight? I would like something that can fit in my pocket since I can carry it around with me at all times, but any suggestions for ones the size of a Maglite 2AA are fine too.

My price range is probably around a maximum of $30. The $40 (+shipping) for a Arc-AAA Premium is stretching it.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Arc is no longer in business. You could try and get one on B/S/T or Ebay or similar. If you want to stay with the MM 2xAA format, try the Streamlight Jr in LED form.

Toaster

Enlightened
Fenix L1 sounds like exactly what you need. Retails for $30. I'd recommend considering the L1P as well
sssh.gif
. Do a search for 'Fenix' and you'll find a bunch of info about this light. Here are some links to get you started.

http://www.fenixlight.com/
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91435
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=90540

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outrager said:
I usually use my flashlight when I'm working inside my computer or whenever a quick light is needed.

Are there any other suggestions for a good bright LED flashlight?

For working inside a computer almost any LED will work quite well.
CMG sells a light which I carry occasionally and it is quite bright.
You could also buy a bag of lights like these at countycomm and give them out as presents.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Outrager,

For the budget that you have mentioned, I'd suggest to take a look at the Minimag led drop-in from Shoppe (the MM lite RY0J), if you still prefer the Minimag format. My Dummy Reference guide to Minimag modding would have some beamshots and pictures about these kind of mods.

Another similar format light that uses AA will be the new Streamlight Jr. Luxeon.

Good luck with your search! :)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Blackbeagle said:
Arc is no longer in business. You could try and get one on B/S/T or Ebay or similar. If you want to stay with the MM 2xAA format, try the Streamlight Jr in LED form.
Uh...yes - a new and improved ARC AAA is indeed being made again. Check the link in aceo07's post...

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outrager, my brother does computer repair work for a living and he uses a Nuwai Q3. It's a great little light, puts out far more than the Arc III, yet is 1/2 the length of a Minimag. Overall output is about THREE TIMES your old Minimag. About $29:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_q-3.htm
http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=692

As already mentioned, the new Fenix 1LP may supercede the Q3 as the most recommended small powerful light. It uses a single AA, vs the Q3's 123A battery. About $30-40, depending on model. www.fenixlight.com, email CPF member Litemania to get one.

If you want an almost exact replacement for your Minimag, the Streamlight Jr is the same color, size, shape, but puts out 2x the light using an LED. However the above lights give similar output in 1/2 the size. About $29:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_jr_luxeon.htm

Nothing wrong with Arc III -- I have 3 on order. However in general I think the Q3 or Fenix are the top reasonably-priced recommendations for a compact, good output light. You will be shocked at how superior they are to your Minimag.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Photon Microlight for my EDC. It is alot brighter than people think, and you don't even notice it on your keychain.
The Photon Freedom Max is 56k mcd, and is a really bright keychain light, and that will be my next purchase.
I haven't had to change the battery in my Photon for a year now.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
How about a River Rock 2AAA .5w flashlight? You can pick one up at any Target Store for $9.99. The River Rock is a rebranded Nuwaii unit.

Light output is better than any miniM@g for about the same price. You'll get about 6 hours of bright bluish white light from a pair of AAA alkaline batteries - longer if you use lithium AAA batteries.

It's about 3/4 the size of a 2AA miniM@g, so it will easily fit your pocket.

sniper

Enlightened
Hi: Dare I suggest another Mini Mag with a Nite Ize drop in & clickie, or an Opalec? Should do the job really well, and within budget, too, or a Gerber Trio, about $20 from Batterystation. But, that Fenix DO look fascinating...

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outrager;

You should definitely check the INOVAS out, especially the XO.

You'll get regulated bright pure white light for full 4 hours + a usable diminished light for 30 min or so. Plus it has great throw for a LED light and the beam is perfectly round and smooth, as opposed to the weird uneven beam typically produced by Mags. This is about the best replacement for a mini-mag in the market today, it's not cheap, but the quality of the materials and extras worth every cent. Better than an ARC 1AA, which honestly, it's not worth the price.

If you would like something cheaper and smaller, try the X1, it's great for close work and takes just one 1AA.

Outrager

Newly Enlightened
The fenix L1/L1P looks pretty good. Needing only 1AA is nice instead of AAAs since I got a bunch of spare AAs around the house. The small form factor is great since I can use it around the house and take it out with me.

OzzieDoc

Newly Enlightened
If your Maglite died of corrosion using name brand batteries, don't forget to try for a warranty replacement. Eveready replaced mine under similar circumstances.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duracell and Eveready guarantee that if their battery damages your device (not just flashlight), they'll repair or replace the device.

If a Duracell battery ever fails in a fighter plane or space vehicle, it's going to be an expensive proposition :)

Outrager

Newly Enlightened
I actually used a brand called RedCell that was on sale at CompUSA. Let me check to see if they'll replace it. Thanks for the advice. I didn't even know the name brand battery companies did that.

Edit: It seems the site on the battery's label (www.redcell.com) doesn't exist anymore. A few searches on google doesn't bring up any results either. I guess I'm out of luck.

Last edited: