What do you all think about the Surefire L2 Lumamax as a work flashlight?

InfidelCastro

Banned
I see they've upgraded the forum software since the last time I was here. And the place seems to run faster. Nice!

So what does everyone think about the Surefire L2? It has a longer pocketclip which I like and puts out 100 lumens at peak and has a lower setting as well. And it's 6.1" total. I plan on carrying it in my front left pocket.

Are their any drawbacks to this light? Besides the price I mean.. :D

It seems like a really nice light.

kennyj

Enlightened
I don't own the light, but I can tell you from anecdotes and beamshots that it puts out a flood beam, without particularly good throw, and lots of backscatter in fog. Those are the drawbacks, at least. Also, on the low setting, many users report hearing a slight hum or buzz. You could get around that with an Aleph tailcap, but this changes functionality somewhat and sacrifices low-beam regulation.

Otherwise, it's a solid, versatile, and f*$!ing bright little light. Bit long for pocket carry IMO, but there're ways around that.

rscanady

Enlightened
I used my L2 at work for 6 months before I got a L4 with McE2S tailcap and pila cell. But every now and then I still grab my L2. ITs a wonderful light for work, having 2 stages and all.

Ryan

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theres been lots of talk about the L2 lately.. I have one and like it a lot... I think its pretty much the best 'deal' flashlight out there.... for the advanced two stages... its only a little over a hundred... the link below has a lot of good info on the L2... i took it outside to see what it could really do and i have it listed there...

it really won't take rechargeables that easily so that maybe an issue... i'm trying to see if a 3.6~4.2v single li-ion battery willl work with a dummy cell... or i may get those straight 3v protected liion rechargeables too...

read:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/93014

savumaki

Enlightened
I need a light that has a good flood vs throw and the L2 fits the bill perfectly. Couple that with add on filters and you have a very decent light machine IMO.

If I need throw, which is hardly ever, I have several handspots (including a mag 4D) that can get out there.

The only objection I have is the weight, but since I generally carry with a neck lanyard, this doesn't present a problem. It does however lend itself well to pocket carry with the longer clip.

The long and short of it; Go for it; you'll not be disappointed :grin2:.

Karl

MrBadger

Newly Enlightened
I did a lot of research before buying a light for EDC, especialy if I was going to drop the cash for a Surfire. I love my L2. It works perfectly for what I need it for, which is mostly indoor mantenance stuff. Low for short/medium range work, high if I need to light up the entire room or crawlspace to see where that pesky leak is coming from. I also have a picolight from KevinL on my keychain for when even the low beam is too much (which sometimes happens when I'm trying not to wake up my roomate when I come home late at night).

After using the light for the past eight months I don't think that I would change my decission to go with the L2.

As always, YMMV. There are no jack-of-all-trades out there. Find the light that fits your criteria, not someone elses.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've been very satisfied with my L2... its a great light... however for my next 2 cell 123 battery light i will be wanting a light with more of a throw to it... and vari-power...

i would get the gladius but i just don't really trust the design... i love how HDS has a single button option but you can do so much with it... the U2 is a great light too but the throw just isn't where i want it... so basicly i'm still waiting on companies/technology to catch up =)

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wish they would smack the tail cap on a cement stair 10times like led museum does... i just wish they had a single button design like the HDS/SF... then you never have to worry.. to me.. .i dropped my 6p like 10 times on cement... nothing EVER happend to it... i've dropped my L2 3 times on cement... nothing happend to it...

i'm paranoid... and once i find something that works and i trust i have a hand time going to another method... for example.... i still will only buy a pocket knife with a axis lock... the liner locks can be made out'a whatever materials... i just still won't buy one or trust it...

InfidelCastro

Banned
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I don't think I'll need the longrange throw. We're talking pizza delivery duty here and just a basic carry flashlight.. Not more than 100 yards anyways at most. So I think I'm going to go with the L2. I did have an Executive E2E a while ago, but I got rid of it because I didn't like the pocketclip design. I lost the thing 3 times.

The Outdoorsman and the L2 seem to have a good longer pocketclip design and I'm not into xenon bulbs anymore since I found out you have to replace them fairly often. And LEDs are more durable. I wasn't that impressed with my E2E's throw either.

Btw, Surefire lists the L2 at $165, where are there ones for just over $100 as mentioned above? I need a box of Surefire batteries too.

Vortex

Newly Enlightened
For Pizza delivery, you might be dissapointed by the L2 when trying to light up dark home addresses and street signs from a distance. You might need something with a bit more throw.
I would recomend a surefire A2 instead, It would be much more usefull for you. The A2's low beam is perfect in the vehicle for reading maps, the L2 is too bright on low for up close reading. For your situation I would choose the A2 because the light from the incandesent high beam will not wash out under city street lamps like that of an LED. Or buy the L2 and keep a small cheapo wallmart special cigarette lighter powered spotlight in the car. Also don't worry about replacing the bulb it lasts long due to the soft start feature, Size 15's got 45 sets of batteries through a bulb and it was still good.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I've been looking at everything for days.. I even had my shopping cart on Surefire filled up to over $200. Guys after all I said I went down to Scheels at noon hour and picked up and OD Green G2 for $34.95. Haha!

The whole thing about the low level hum when using the L2 in low power mode really turned me off. Maybe if they fix that I'll get one. I do like the looks of the Centurian too.

The G2 will serve me for right now, I needed a cheap fast solution. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

jwillson

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds said:
for pizza... a L1 would be good too
I second that. The L1 would be an excellent match for pizza delivery... The low light setting is perfect for reading maps or looking at paperwork inside the car, and the TIR optic would do a really nice job for finding street numbers and such. It's not that bright in pure lumens (only about 25 or so on high), but I would actually want pretty good throw for pizza delivery, and the L1 has it. The only areay where it might not be a good match is lighting up a walkway to avoid tripping. There just isn't enough spill to make it a good "walk in the dark" light.

It's also less expensive than the L2--by about $40.00

- Jared

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try an E1L with a McE2S two stage tailcap and a rechargeable R-cr123.