is there a simple easy way to make biscuits?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok i know about the ones in the tube that goes pop.but they cost to much so i saw something called bisquick in a yellow box but it seems very complcated ya have to do something called kneading i dont knopw what that is and it sounds complicated .so can i skip this step?or is there a easyier way.also are the bisquick biscuits any good? thank you for all helo

nethiker

Enlightened
Hi raggie,

Bisquick is a very easy way to make biscuits. No you don't have to knead the dough, you can just mix it together and drop a blob onto the pan. They will turn into a golden mound and not puff up as much as when you knead and cut them into rounds. Kneading is just mixing with your hands just like when you make bread. Either way they will taste great.

I always have a big box of bisquick in the pantry because you can do so much with it. You can make pancakes, biscuits, dumplings and cobbler. They're not as tasty as if you make them from scratch with shortning, but they are good and easy. Here's the instructions for bisquick biscuits.

Enjoy,
Greg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool thank you.yeah i kinda like this bisquick stuff this is first time i got some .i think i even saw a pizza recipe for it.but that will have to wait to i get some chease

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie, nethiker just gave you the formula for what my grandmother called
"cat's head" biscuits

LightChucker

Enlightened
"kneading" simply means squeezing the dough in your hands until everything is mixed well. To me, that means until it is like clay.

Look up "knead" in the dictionary on "Google" or wherever.

Chuck

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i musta did something complety wrong what a mess lol all the dough just stuck to my fingers and the mixing bowl then to the counter top .i said hect with it and tryied to cook em anyways i got burned bottems and was kinda raw on top lol i am no baker

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Even bad biscuits are rather tasty, right Raggie?

When I was young and had just started living on my own I lived off waffles made from bisquick for a whole month when I ran out of money. I learned to budget better and I learned that you can stretch a box of bisquick, some eggs and milk for a long ways.

I still like waffles.

Daniel.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o im the good at makeing my grocery budget right now im amonth ahead i do stuff like when i see ragu i like on sale i buy a boat load long as it has good dates on it lol this is just some of my dry goods i have more upstaires and a course have lots a meats but i only buy stuff if its a great great sale but milk and stuff i sometimes pay full price
groceriesto4zf.jpg

groceries0hg.jpg

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
If you understand budgets and can stick to it you are gar ahead of many people.

Good work!

Let us know how your next batch of biscuits comes out.

My wife said "The dough stuck to his hands? He needs to dust his hands with flour before kneading so it does not stick." I think a light dusting on the counter is needed too.

Daniel

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can make great strawberry shortcake with Bisquick. Even my brother made strawberry shortcake and he doesn't cook.

And yeah, I've make the pancakes also. But that was before I got my microwave. Now if I can't microwave it, I don't eat it :)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol thats ragu spagheti sauce publix has great sales sometimes i think i payed like 80 cents per each. but dont by meat at publix it cost to much my dad takes me to store 1 per month but sometimes we go 2 he gets all the adds then we pick whats on sale and i never ever eat out anymore that saves me a lot i don like to eat out anyways anymor this week publix had good deal on rice o roni but i already spent my mony

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, I try to save but not quite to the extent you do. The last mass purchase I did was 8 12-packs of diet Pepsi for $2 per. I microwave a lot too and if I see a microwaveable dinner that I like at a very good price, I'll buy enough to fill my freezer. Last year at a supermarket they had Uncle Ben's bowl dinners for $1.50 per and I bought 25. Once in awhile but not in quite some time now, I'll see Progresso soup for a $1 a can and I will buy a boatload of those also.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 said:
i musta did something complety wrong what a mess lol all the dough just stuck to my fingers and the mixing bowl then to the counter top .i said hect with it and tryied to cook em anyways i got burned bottems and was kinda raw on top lol i am no baker

The trick here is learning how moist the dough should be. The directions are never quite right. If it's too sticky, you sprinkle a little more Bisquik in it and moosh it around gently a bit until it's all mixed in. If it's too dry, you add a teeny bit more milk, etc. There's no need to...uh...knead very much or the biscuits will get tough. Mooshing the dough around in your hands a couple of times, just enough to get the dough uniformly moist is enough. Sprinkle a little more dry Bisquik on your countertop and the dough blob, and rub a little on your hands as you pat out the dough into a flat blob for cutting into little biscuits. Tossing a little dry Bisquik on these surfaces lets you work on it without it sticking to everything.

Bisquik is a good, convenient, traditional product, but if you don't like hydrogenated fats, animal fats (lard, beef fat), and preservatives, you can make your own much cheaper. It's basically just flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and fats mixed up, which you can do yourself at a fraction of the cost. You can use non-hydrogenated shortening, or combos of butter/shortening/lard and get different flavors. Yummy with butter baked right in!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have a feeling im going to need to watch some one make em.i suck at writen instruction somedays .i also reread the instructons today it said something like turn bater out on counter or something i got a feeling i did something wrong i juts kinda droped it on counter .but i kinda thing i should of used that roller thing is that what they meant?lol i am the worst baker in the world

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, now you got me in the mood for some of those Pillsbury Dough pop up biscuits. I know they cost more but one can isn't too expensive and so convenient. That will be my whole meal sometimes, LOL, one can of biscuits.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My mom always bought the premade biscuits at Sam's club and stuck them in ziplock bags in the freezer.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33.
turn bater out on counter means out of the bowl and onto the counter top. You did exactly right.
Practice is needed to make a good baker. Keep trying. Burned bottoms is very common. Cut off the bottom and enjoy the rest.
BTW, I made bisquick pancakes this morning. They are great.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well thank you everyone my last atemp was at least somewhat edidle but they didnt rise to much i think
bisqui4mk.jpg

Latest posts