Flashlight I'd like to see made

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Most flashlights fall into one of two categories :spot or flood. I Haven't seen any light so far that really does both well Lumaray FL-12 and it's overpriced. What I would like to see is the center six led's replaced by a single 3 watt or 5 watt luxeon behing a TIROS and the outer six lensed led's replaced with 20 bare
led's. Four C cells should be enough power for good run time and youd have a light with killer throw and enough side spill to light up an entire room all at the same time.
Opinions ?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
bullinchinashop said:
My whole point was something that wouldn't cost a fortune.
But you must pay for someones creative mind and skills.:wave:

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
So we're looking at $150 or more ...I think I would shell out $150 or more for a light like that. A 5 watt behind a TIROS for killer throw and 20 bare nichias (in a ring around the edge) for killer sidesspill all at once. It seems like everybody has a great flashlight that they wished did one or the other better. A lot of people love their Innovas but wish they had more sidespill. A lot of people love their 3 watt and 5 watt lights that use reflectors but wish they had more thow. A design like this would do both with out any compromise. Take the Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon as an example. It has great throw but you get a small really bright hot spot and a really big but much smaller suround. The T3 has pretty good throw but no sidespill whatsoever. Imagine a light that had the throw of the LED Beam 3 watt (so you could see what or who is way in front of you) but at the same time lit up everything to the sides so you see what's close to you over to the sides as well.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
A post from last year, that I cannot recall at time being, made a "wish list" of lights to be manufactured. Mostly, from SF.
From what I can recall, there were a six-level L4, I mean an U2 the size of the L4; a "demilitarized" version of the new KL1, with a 3 watter and reflector; and a 20 Watt short-arc HID the size of the actual SF M6.

Just a reminder

Anthony

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
bullinchinashop said:
So we're looking at $150 or more ...I think I would shell out $150 or more for a light like that. A 5 watt behind a TIROS for killer throw and 20 bare nichias (in a ring around the edge) for killer sidesspill all at once. It seems like everybody has a great flashlight that they wished did one or the other better. A lot of people love their Innovas but wish they had more sidespill. A lot of people love their 3 watt and 5 watt lights that use reflectors but wish they had more thow. A design like this would do both with out any compromise. Take the Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon as an example. It has great throw but you get a small really bright hot spot and a really big but much smaller suround. The T3 has pretty good throw but no sidespill whatsoever. Imagine a light that had the throw of the LED Beam 3 watt (so you could see what or who is way in front of you) but at the same time lit up everything to the sides so you see what's close to you over to the sides as well.

:goodjob:

That's a darn good combination: Luxeon III or V behind TIROS lens combined with jupiter LEDs, in an out ring for extreme flood effect. Add a switch to combine all LEDs, or to use selective ilumination (only jupiters ON, only Luxen and all ON) and we'll have the ultimate LED flashlight.

The only issue would be the power consumption. To use regular C or D cells would make it too bulky and heavy, and that's not very desirable in an high-quality/high-tech flashlight. It must use rechargeabe Li-on batteries such as the SL Strion, or something more revolutionary. Regular alkalines are out of the question in this class of light, CR123 is the minimum accepted.

Send the idea to INOVA, Streamlight or SUREFIRE and they may very well buy it.

I'd pay 200 bucks for a light with these characteristics.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
For balance between good throw and smooth flood, I prefer flashlights that use a reflector. You should take a look at the Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon models (4AA and 3C).

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
I think I like the jupiters for flood better than the nichias I was originally suggesting (I'd have to put your name in there too if I submit this to anyone). Instead of 20 nichias we could use 4 jupiters for flood. Only problem would be power comsumption. A 5 watt luxeon plus 4 jupiters would drain even 3 lithiums dry inpretty fast. Nuwai's 3 level 5 watt drains 2 lithiums in about 45 minutes but the 4 C version goes about 3 1/2 . Rechargables would be cool but they should be cheap enough to be able to buy two (one always in the light and one always in the charger). What about four of those 3.7 volt rechargable 123A's? I don't know anything about the SL Strions.I know I'm going back on what I just said about price but what about a camera battery ? The Canon Digital Rebel's battery is 7.4 volts 1100 mAh.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
bullinchinashop said:
I think I like the jupiters for flood better than the nichias I was originally suggesting (I'd have to put your name in there too if I submit this to anyone). Instead of 20 nichias we could use 4 jupiters for flood. Only problem would be power comsumption. A 5 watt luxeon plus 4 jupiters would drain even 3 lithiums dry inpretty fast. Nuwai's 3 level 5 watt drains 2 lithiums in about 45 minutes but the 4 C version goes about 3 1/2 . Rechargables would be cool but they should be cheap enough to be able to buy two (one always in the light and one always in the charger). What about four of those 3.7 volt rechargable 123A's? I don't know anything about the SL Strions.I know I'm going back on what I just said about price but what about a camera battery ? The Canon Digital Rebel's battery is 7.4 volts 1100 mAh.

You chan check the awesome SL Strion here:
www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_strion.htm

If the Strion's li-ion battery pack can power its 3.6V 80 lumens xenon bulb for more than an hour @50% with no regulation circuit at all, then it would probably do a great job in our LED project here. Although these batteries are not exactly cheap, being rechargeable it means will be save a lot of money in disposable batteries. Plus, as i said, having a 2 or 3 level switch would make it much more useful in practical terms, and will also save a lot of power, considering the fact that the set of jupiter LEDs would be used at least 90% of the times, instead of all LEDs together or the luxeon alone.

Sell this light packed together with one of those ultra-fast R/C battery charger and you have a winner.

I can see this torch becoming a major seller amongst the light enthusiasts, if it will ever be released...

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
if it will ever be released... Those are the key words right there. We've got a great idea but if we went to Inova (or any one else ) even though it would give them a great reason to use TIROS in another light they'd probobly tell us to get lost. Unless right after we submitted it every one who uses this forum e-mailed them once a week asking when it was gonna come out :) :) Failing that this would probobly stand a better chance of being built if it interested somebody like Wayne at Electrolumes *(HINT HINT HINT?) who has a better connection with his customers or maybe Lumaray since their FL-12 (It's on my to buy list) is what gave me the idea.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
why tell Surefire... they are already making one. Did you see the link I posted?

-David

Raven

Enlightened
I'd like to see a:

lux 3
fully regulated
ha 3 finish
crystal lens
water proof
twist cap
uses 3 c batteries
high quality fit and finish

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
When are those Surefire lights coming out ? Anybody have any specs ? Possible prices? Anything other than pics ? I'd go to SF's site but we all know they won't be there untill they've been on sale everywhere else for 6 or 7 months.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
bullinchinashop said:
When are those Surefire lights coming out ? Anybody have any specs ? Possible prices? Anything other than pics ? I'd go to SF's site but we all know they won't be there untill they've been on sale everywhere else for 6 or 7 months.

I only wish I knew.

-David