Stuck battery

Gatorguy

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2AA mag flashlight that was upgraded with an LED unit. Checking it today I noticed there was some battery corrosion . . . the first battery came out okay but the battery closest to the head seems "welded" in there due to the corrosion. I an not sure, but the the head is inserted in the tube of this light, so I hate to damage it by trying to use it to force the battery out. I have tried to scrape the visible edge of the battery where it contacts the inside of the tube in an effort to free it up. I have also tapped the tube end on a hard surface to move the battery, but no luck. This is really a bummer . . . any suggestions??

Thanks,

Mike

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If they are alkaline batteries you could try pouring some vinegar into it and then water a few times. Then try a broomstick handle gentle bumping the battery then tap the tube on a table top covered by a towel or something to jar it loose.

I just remembered you said 2AA... broomstick is too big perhaps a bolt or something smaller to bump into the battery. I would suggest consulting the battery manufacturer warranty to see if they offer free replacement.

Last edited:

Grubbster

Enlightened
You might try taking the head of the light off. Remove the bulb and then remove the black plastic piece (the piece that says "Do not remove") by prying it up with a small screwdriver or knife blade. Then set the bottom of the flashlight on a table and tap on the remaining black plastic piece at the head with something of similar diameter. It should free the battery and it and the black plastic piece will fall out the tube. Hope that makes sense. Good luck.

Oops, just reread your post and saw you had some type of led in there. These instructions may not apply depending on what it is. Thanks

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have that problem every now and then. I just slam the flashlight on the surface of a scrap piece of wood or drop it from 6 ft onto the piece of wood. Then when it gets near the end, grab it with a pair of vice grips and slam that against the piece of wood so it throws the battery out. Kind of makes a mag light look well used with the teeth marks of a vice grips on the side of it. :)

Gatorguy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the good suggestions. I finally managed to get it out. I sprayed some silicone spray in the end of the tube, then tapped stuck battery with screwdriver. Noticed it moved a little . . . . worked it both ways until it finally came out. I was not able to insert new battery due to corrosion inside tube where two batteries joined. I filed that corrosion down and cleaned it up best I could. All is well now, except I can't get LED pill to light up. Will address that in another forum.

Thanks,

Mike

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
If you have a high-dollar LED conversion like a sandwich in there and snakebite's suggestion is beyond your skills, simply hacksaw the tube all the way around about an inch back from the front. A $12 Mag AA vs $40 sandwich- your call.

Larry

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have never tried the vinegar trick... but theoretically alkaline substances should react to the acid perhaps it will weaken the alkaline bond and let you knock it loose.