Solution to missing Harddisk Space

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm running Windows XP and had installed Symantec System Works on my PC. This also automatically installed Norton Protected Recycle Bin on to my PC. After finding that this whole suite of programs taking up too much resources, I uninstalled it from my PC. After that, I thought that my harddisk free space should have been more than it should be, but from looking at the directory list on explorer, just couldn't figure out what was taking up so much disk space.

After searching for quite a while, I finally found SequoiaView, which graphically presents your harddisk in such a way that it is really easy to see how your disk space is being used, by file, directory, space taken, directory size, etc.. With this tool, I found that Norton had installed a hidden directory with gigs of "recoverable" files that were never deleted when System Works was uninstalled from my PC.

Another great thing about this tool is that it's free.. :rock:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting.... I have norton ghost, imagine i got some missing room too. THen of course the xm roll back setting.

I thought you were going to talk about the fat 32 thing. I know I got a large hard drive and turned out I had about same space as before. Went from 2-8 gb. TUrns out it used 32ks per cluster than 4k. Had to make several partitions at 2gbs to reclaim the space that was wasted cause the OS couldnt address all the room.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cobb, as far as I know, Norton Ghost doesn't take up harddisk space in any hidden files, so you should be all right there...

Hadn't encountered Fat32 issues for quite a while since converting to Windows XP and going to NTFS...

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear ntsf is great. I used fat 32 cause, thats what they just used. I think I have a good 30 gigs to go. :)

My xp laptop has what ever it came with.

Latest posts