Cherokee Nation will display the 10 Commandments

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I'm always astounded by these things. I had no idea that my tribe had converted to christianity.

Of course, the Cherokee were some of the friendliest of the north american natives. That's why there are millions of us with some Cherokee in our heritage. My mom says we are the lovinest people. :)

Daniel

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The cherokee alphabet was made up with help from a christian missionary I believe so it isn't altogether suprising.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Daniel,

I did not know that you were Cherokee.
I am 1/8 Cherokee. I know that is not much but still there is a little Cherokee blood in my veins somewhere. The Irish blood in me took over I guess because I am very pale except for my farmers tan. I did used to have jet black hair before it started turning white. When I was a kid people would ask my mom if she dyed it (my hair).
My wife is 1/4 Cherokee. But she is very pale also.

Our oldest son,7 years old, has a natural light tan look all year long. He has the nicest skin complextion (sp?) you have ever seen.
Our middle son is white as a ghost.
Our newest son is too young (3 weeks) to tell yet.

Empath

Flashaholic
The Ten Commandments isn't a Christian instrument. It was Jewish, from the Mosaic Law. It's significant to Christians, since "the spirit of the Law" is in reference to Mosaic Law. Many Cherokees accept the God of Abraham, Moses, and the Jewish people. There's no official stand by the nation though, Christian or otherwise.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Empath said:
The Ten Commandments isn't a Christian instrument. It was Jewish, from the Mosaic Law. It's significant to Christians, since "the spirit of the Law" is in reference to Mosaic Law. Many Cherokees accept the God of Abraham, Moses, and the Jewish people. There's no official stand by the nation though, Christian or otherwise.
I am not sure if we are on the same page as far as "Christian instrument"and "spirit of the law".
The ten commandments were in fact given to the Jews by God as it states in the old testament.
Christians embrace the ten commandments just as much as the Jewish people and believe it is direct instructions from God to all believers in him.
If people believe in the God of the Bible then most I would assume believe the ten commandments are instruments for them no matter if they be Jew or Gentile.

Edit: I think, now that I have thought about it more, that I know where you are coming from now. I am assuming (always a bad thing) that you are refering to Christ releasing us from the law of Moses and replacing it with a new covenant when he died on the cross. If that is what you mean then I agree. Sometimes I can be a little slow. :eek:

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Lynx_Arc said:

Yes, an interesting story.

I'm only 1/8th Cherokee, and have never lived on or near tribal lands. I don't look particularly indian. My mother has that look.....

Family stories say my great grandmother was a Cherokee princess, but family tales are like that. :) My great grandfather was a wandering preacher. Yes, a lot of american natives were wooed by misionaries and converted.

Daniel

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My great grandfather was a full blood cherokee and my mom learned on her own the cherokee alphabet. I have a plate with the cherokee alphabet on it somewhere... I think I am around 1/8 cherokee but circumstances have made proving it for the roles difficult as the courthouse with the records proving it burned down long ago. I had a voting card from my mom with permission for her to vote for mankiller in the election about 10 years ago somewhere.