Z58 clickie problem

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a z58 clickie that comes with my L5 when i bought it.Recently the thing is a bit wierd.Sometimes the light stays on when it's supposed to click off.Sometimes the light comes on at the slightest touch on the button.Now i hear rattling sounds when the light's on.What could be the problem? Are there any DIY ways to fix it? I'm in Malaysia so it's not very convenient for me to send it back to SF in US to fix it as the postage is expensive.

I tried taking the tailcap off,putting it on a table,then press on it really hard with my thumb to 'turn it on', then press really hard again to 'turn it off'. I repeated this several times before screwing it back on my light. This solved the problem for a while but after 20-30 on-off operations the problems are there again. Can anyone help me?

AESOP

Newly Enlightened
I had a problem with my new U2 tailcap when I first received it. I simply e-mailed SF CS and they shipped me a new tailcap. I did not have to send them my old cap at all.

Michael

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there is a DIY fix for this problem. It involves adjusting the contact "legs" inside the switch in relation to the "plunger". It's not a hard thing to do, but it is difficult to explain. There was/is a thread on it (with photos) here at CPF, but I don't think it is accessible due to the search function not being fully up to speed yet.

Getting the switch apart is the first step. Using heat will help tremendously ( I just press the switch body against the heating element on my stove, but others have good results by boiling in a plastic bag for a couple of minutes).

I would be happy to repair your switch at no charge if you are willing to send it. Or, you can get it apart, I'm sure we can talk you through the repair.

Peter

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
Hi Peter,

I've put a green washer from a SF battery between the parts like how u guys fixed the L4 clickie and it works flawlessly !!So far so good,we'll c in a few days.Anyway what's the correct thing that i'm supposed to do?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Brian,

It would appear that the extra travel introduced with the washer has solved your problem! :)

Alternately, you could have carefully spread the two silver "legs" in the switch body apart slightly to achieve the same result. The adjustment is very "picky" though, so I think you lucked out!

Peter

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
Yeah,the click feel is so satisfying now.I've clicked on and off the switch till my thumb hurts and the problem did not come back anymore!Thanks a lot!