Did Rita take out your phone lines?

Raven

Enlightened
Anyone else, in the Houston area, having problems with their phone lines, such as heavy static or an unstable internet connection?

Raven

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had that here in the West Bank of New Orleans for a few weeks after Katrina. Mine was fine, but my parents line had very heavy static and crackling. My mom called the phone company and they said (I'm not exagerating) "we estimate getting it repared in May of 2006". It was fixed 4 days later.

I'd just call the phone company and it should get fixed.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! I'd love to have a recording of the phone company giving that date ;)

Water in the cables somewhere can definite do that. Make sure it's reported and they will get around to drying it out when they get to it I suppose. But it's not just a hurricane problem, any flooding or whatever can cause similar issues. When the water logged piece of gear in your area reaches the top of they list, it wont take them long to fix or replace the bad cable. but waiting to get to the top of the list can take a while...

TorchMan

Enlightened
Other than "all circuits busy" recordings or fast busy signals, no. And that all started during the evacuation. It sounds to me like trunk lines have gotten wet, or some lines somewhere have. We had a problem evertime it rained for years, they blamed the house wiring. Once several of us in the neighborhood got together, they came out and fixed the trunk lines. Problem solved. Good luck.

My cable and broadband went out around 5:30 p.m. yesterday, didn't come back on until around 9:00 pm yesterday. It happened at the same time I got a message from my IT provider saying someone was signed on to my account in another location. They're still checking that one out!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first moved to where I live it was common for me to get a funny sounding dial tone and to be unable to connect to my dial up when it rained. They fixed that after a few years. Now the only problem is I dont get a dial tone sometimes and when I use my cell phone to call myself I get a fast busy or all circuits are busy.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT said:
I only lost power but the phone worked just fine.

AlexGT

Great thing about a laptop. Ive been online quite a few times during a storm or after effects with no power.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
cobb said:
Great thing about a laptop. Ive been online quite a few times during a storm or after effects with no power.

I was once sitting at my desk at night, working on my laptop when the power went out. It took me a minute to figure out why I was staring at this bright screen in front of my face, but all the other lights weren't on. The monitor helped my sister, who was in the hall outside my door way, find her way around. It was pretty cool that it kept working, although I did lose my internet connection because the router and cable modem plug into the wall. I wonder if I were to have used a UPS, if my internet connection would have remained.