Best lights to finish off the batteries...

RowdyOne

Newly Enlightened
My question is what lights would be best for finishing off AA and 123a battereies. The AA are from FRS radios that have started the low battery chirp. The 123a are from my 6P and G2's. I am sure there is enough power left to do something with them, so I am looking for any ideas.

Thanks!
Dennis
Long Time Lurker...

Geologist

Enlightened
I believe the INOVA X5T would be a choice for draining 2X123 batteries. For the AAs there are a lot more choces, the Infinity Ultra (1XAA) or the Eternalight Series (3XAA).

I am looking for that perfect light for draining a since CR123 battery. Would be great to find something like an Infinity Ultra that would run off a CR123.

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
Opalec Newbeam in a Minim@g will suck AA's pretty dry. I only feed it "used up" batteries.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geologist said:
I am looking for that perfect light for draining a since CR123 battery. Would be great to find something like an Infinity Ultra that would run off a CR123.

Try a Tektite Splashlite with the L222 LED bulb. Its one of the smallest and lightest 1xCR123 lights around and it puts out decent light (a bit more than an infinity ultra- probably on par with the Arc AAA rev4 on a fresh cell) for about 7 hours. Waterproof too. It has always come up in other threads about draining down cells.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Don't know how "hard to get" they are anymore (you do seen them here and there - now and then in our B/S/T "halls"), but the original "First Run" Arc LS was known to use up the juice in a battery pretty good!

Last edited:

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
I second that! Also, because of Opalec Newbeam's regulation, it is at full brightness until the batteries are really shot, and then it has the red indicator that tells you when the batteries are ready to discard.

I find that the "used up" batteries from TV remotes, etc. last so long at full brightness in the Newbeam that they still pile up.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I have a very cheap 8 led light that I use to finish off my old 123 batteries. I bought it off of Ebay a year ago for about $5 and it takes 2 batteries. My children use it around the house and outside. It is bright even with batteries that wont light up other lights. Does not matter if the batteries match or not it will light up brightly and run for ever. In fact it does not use up the old batteries fast enough.
Edit: It says POLICE across the front of it. I am sure most here have seen them before.

Last edited:

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
LifeNRA said:
Does not matter if the batteries match or not

The only time mismatched batteries don't matter is if you don't care if the flashlight blows up.

Don't mix cells. An explosion would really ruin your day.

altoon

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend cheap lights for draining AA batts, particularly if they're alkalines. I wouldn't put an potentially leaky old battery in my CMG Infinity or Ultra. The Dorcy AA runs about $9, nice but not as bright as the newer Chinese lights.

If you don't mind ordering online, try the 5- or 8-led xnovas or the 12-led Ghost II (AKA "Blue Ghost II"). My personal favorite is the Ghost II: 6 hours regulated, a nice bright flood. There's a review here.

A list of vendors vendors that carry these AA lights:
Advancedmart
Emilion's Workshop
Lighthound
szwholesale (Dae)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
enLIGHTenment wrote: "The only time mismatched batteries don't matter is if you don't care if the flashlight blows up.
Don't mix cells. An explosion would really ruin your day."

heed this (good) warning -

I'm not an expert - but I would have thought that multiple Lithium cell (CR123) lights are probably not such a great idea to drain or use up batteries.

If there is any chance that the CR123 lithium batteries are at different discharge levels there may the danger of reverse charging to the weaker cell that could cause a potentially serious explosion -
take a look at this thread -

A Little Accident. W/123's and a Peli. M6 (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

So my thought would be to use a single cell light for draining and using up batteries......

Last edited: