Need input - "AA" long runtime, short runtime

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
After watching Katrina and Rita, I decided to standardize my bailout bag and plan to use only AA size equipment when possible. So, radio, FRS, flashlights... as much as possible, AA only. I'm thinking that I need several types of AA lights - one for low level light for marker, bathroom use... (I'm thinking of Infinities), one for fair amounts of light but conservative of battery power (I'm thinking either SL Luxeon JR or SL 4 AA 7 LED.) For high power, short duration use, I'm staying with 2x123 types and rechargeables like my Stingers.

What I'd like is input on any other AA lights that I should consider. I also need a high power AA that DOES suck batteries. I've been keeping about 12 AA's, but after watching them say that you may not get power for weeks, I've been considering upping that. What I would need the high power for would be to kill the batts before they expire. I'd hate to throw them away and if I could find a way to actually use them in quantity, that would be great. Suggestions?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Really should have an eternaLight in the bag!! Maybe a MiniMag/Opalec combo as well!

For a higher power AA torch, maybe an Elektro Lumens XM-3? 3-watts with a reflector for throw...

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Hi I'll be intrested to see how this develops as I've taken the same decision, I've modded a few mini mags, one with a opalec newbeam and two with ministar2's each with krolls and LDF lens from flashlight lens, the opalec is good for around 9-10 hours longer on lithiums. I'm thinking of getting a SL 4AA Luxeon or UK 4AA eLED to add to these, with my HDS being the only one needing 123's, one option that I'm considering for a bit of power is the Blaster Jnr as it still takes AA.

for me the benefit of AA is they are available everywhere -- my kids at university have each got opalec modded mags for the same reason, -- and to stop my lad nicking my 123's for his E2D!.

Mark

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix is coming out with a 2 AA light. It might be what you are looking for.
I'll second the Eternalight. I have used mine as a nightlight all night long. It comes in handy.

Last edited:

AlanP

Newly Enlightened
How about a Peak Caribbean or Glacier Bay combined with their 2xAA adaptor. I've just got a caribbean with the adaptor and it works great. No idea what the runtime is yet tho but I imagine it'll be comparable to running on a 123 battery

prof

Enlightened
Blackbeagle said:
What I'd like is input on any other AA lights that I should consider. I also need a high power AA that DOES suck batteries. I've been keeping about 12 AA's, but after watching them say that you may not get power for weeks, I've been considering upping that. What I would need the high power for would be to kill the batts before they expire. I'd hate to throw them away and if I could find a way to actually use them in quantity, that would be great. Suggestions?

What about a Gerber LX 3? Great light, but not regulated.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
The Fenix is a terrific package: HA, luxeon, AA, very small, waterproof and not too expensive. The beam is very nice, and very white, too. And I've always liked the SL Jr, it's even cheaper, but the lottery seems tougher on those. We have Infinity Ultras in all our bugout bags, and here's another vote for the Eternalights, I have the Xray, the Max and the Marine. All run on AAs, have many modes and levels and if you load them with lithiums, mine float!

There are many others, of course, but these mentioned above stand out in my mind for cost effective and easy use, particularly for emergency use. I stock more AAs than any other size battery for the very reason you do, radios, FRS, clocks, and torches!

daloosh

notrefined

Enlightened
a couple of 3-to-D holders in a ray-o-vac industrial with 5-cell bulbs is an economical "guilty pleasure" way to burn AA's :) Sputtering the already faceted reflector makes for a pleasant, if not quite surefire-esque beam. Of course, you could also do the same in a 3D body with a brighter bulb

MVB

Newly Enlightened
You're getting this suggestion a lot, but just for the sheer number of (usefull) modes available, you should VERY seriously consider an eternaLight. On the "x-ray' models the internal locator LED will run for years on a set of batteries, it is seriously waterproof, and the flash & SOS modes are good if you need to attract attention. and with the dimmer function you can get days worth of useable light (in case your supply of batteries is running low). Also, if you use lithium AAs the light will float. I use mine every day. (Plus, it's my bedside night light...)

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Another vote for the Eternalight. For throw, you can't beat the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon. For general use, the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon.

In an extended power outage, I'd recommend a headlamp. They're handy for long use, keeping your hands free and the light on the task at hand. Perhaps someone can recommend an AA model; I haven't carefully researched this area yet. (For low weight, an AAA-based headlight would be useful.)

<edit> Personally, I have used my standard Arc AAA clipped to a ballcap instead of a headlamp during an extended power outage. I read an entire paperback novel this way.

Last edited:

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the lights that I own, I would say:

UK 4AA eLED for long run time, combined with useful output, and nice white light

Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon Star for nice run time and bright, white LED light with a nice beam.

A single, AA LED, with a CYAN 5MM led around your neck. Maybe have one custom built by PEAK. However, make sure you get CYAN and not GREEN as the output is much dimmer with all other colors compared to CYAN.

As far as other lights go, they might be better, or cheaper, or brighter, longer running etc, but man, stick to a known well respected name like Streamlight or UKe for your mission critical lights.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another person with the philosophy of having all your gear use AA batteries.:thumbsup: I was at that level a few years ago until I added a UV water purifier (2xCR123) and the occasional CR123 flashlight. What really throws it off is my travel/temperature clock that uses a single AAA. I've been waiting for someone to make an AA version of that for years.

Try buying your AA batteries at Costco. A brick of the Kirkland brand has 48 and sells for about $10. That's around 20 cents per cell. I read somewhere here on CPF that these Kirkland batteries are at or slightly better then the Duracell brand.

As for as which AA powered flashlight to use, I'm a big fan of the SL 4AA Luxeon with a Ripoffs holster. Even without the holster the shape fits nicely in the back pocket.

I'm curious what AA powered FRS radios you have since it's rare to find ones that use that size battery. I found a few Midland M222P radios (AA) a few years back at a Micro Center closeout for $9 per set of 2.

Geologist

Enlightened
Another vote for:

1) Eternalight Elite Series - great lights. I would reccomend the X-Ray or the Elite X-ray.

2) Infinity Ulta - In an emergency, you could raid the battery recycling locations and probably score enough AA juice for a 10 years.....

David_Campen

Enlightened
I'm curious what AA powered FRS radios you have since it's rare to find ones that use that size battery. I found a few Midland M222P radios (AA) a few years back at a Micro Center closeout for $9 per set of 2.
This is my prefered model:
http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=320&id=1
It is FRS/GMRS with 3-watt output, also NOAA weather and All Hazards Alert. It runs on AA batteries (3, I think). Other Cobra and also Motorola models also run on AA cells.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Short runtime Peak Mediterranean with 2AA body
Runs around 2.5 hours on 2500 mAH NiMH cells

Long runtime Peak Kilamanjaro standard output single Snow20 LED
A guy reported that it put out usable light at the 55 hour point.

I have a 2D Mag mod that uses 8AA in a 2D pack. On it's lowest of 8 levels provided by the nFlex current regulator....figure decent output for at least 30 hours or more. The WX1S LuxeonV LED is very efficient and can go from decent output to blinding with a press of a switch.

My brightest lights (8AA WX1S Mag and Mediterranean 2AA) they use AA batteries with my keychain light running a single AAA. My countycomm.com clock radio/shortwave uses two lithium AA batteries that last around 150 hours with the radio on.

If you want to store AA batteries, get lithium AA batteries for the 10+ year shelf life. I have 6 lithium AA and 14 lithium AAA's in a box for that purpose. My 6 remote controls will provide AA/AAA batteries when needed with my bicycle lighting providing another 12 NiMH AA batteries, 2 lithium AA and a few alkaline AA.

I standarized back in 2002 after getting frustrated with oddball batteries with my first two LED lights. The 3 N cell Streamlight Batonlite and coin cell Pelican L1 used batteries that normally don't lay around the house and they were a pain to get the correct batteries. Since they both failed, I replaced them with standard AA/AAA celled batteries to simplify my life.

All my digital cameras are filled with NiMH AA as well as my computer keyboard and trackball. My son's discmans and other various gizmos use AA so dozens are in use on a daily basis.

Standarizing to AA/AAA batteries is a no-brainer considering the sheer amount of batteries I have laying around. I do have a few CR123a batteries laying around for my Mediterranean lithium body...don't use it but it is available. For now and the forseeable future... make mine (NiMH) AA batteries please.

txmatt

Enlightened
LowBat said:

Depends if you want FRS-only or an FRS/GMRS combo. Though expensive compared to most store-bought, bubble-pack radios, probably the two best FRS-only radios still being sold are the Icom IC-4088A and the Kenwood UBZ-LH14. These are high-quality, no frills radios (no weather, FM radio, ...) that run on AA batteries and probably push FRS (1/2 watt UHF) as far as it can go, performance wise (line of sight basically).

In the FRS/GMRS radios, I know some of the Midland GXT series uses AA batteries as well.

I've tried to semi-standardize on AA's as well (both NiMH and Lithium): Icom FRS's above, Midland GXT400 FRS/GMRS with weather, Canon A95 digicam, Streamlight Propoly Lux's, Gerber LX 3.0, CMG Infinity Ultras, River Rock Lantern, Eternalight, a couple Coleman CCFL pack lanterns, Feniz L1P2.5 on the way.

Another relevant note, some of the Maha AAA/AA NiMH chargers use 12VDC in as a power source. Normally you use a wall wart but car adapters are available or included. With access to a vehicle, one of these chargers, and NiMH batteries, you never run out of AA's/AAA's.

Matt

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
LowBat said:

Ours are Motorola T5950s, which come with rechargeable packs for daily use, but also run on 3xAAs. It has NOAA, FRS/GMRS, multiple subcodes and all that:

http://direct.motorola.com/ENS/Web_ProductHome_T5950AA.asp?Country=USA&language=ENS&productid=29298

daloosh

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I guess I'm behind in the FRS market. Last time I looked at the store most of them had gone to using AAA batteries.