Brighter
Both LOLA and HOLA and lanyard
Somewhat larger bezel
No clip
Tougher to carry in pocket

C3: Easier to carry in pocket
Not quite as bright even with HOLA
Cheaper

Comments please. Or should I look at the M4...........

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend skipping the M3, and looking at the M3T, the M4 (or M6). The standard M3 isn't that much more powerful than the C3, and if you are going to spend lots of dollars on a Millenium Series i would go for the throw powerhouses (the M series with the Turbo heads).

CLHC

Flashaholic
Both the C3 and 9P are similar with the lamp usage and output. It's just the external bodies that are different.

The M3 is a good choice, in my opinion. One of the SureFire catalog mentions that if only one flashlight that could be had, the SureFire team answered that it would be the M3. One can't really fault that. [Of course there's more LED lightings in their line up.]

And as already have been mentioned throughout this forum, the M3 can be used with the optional turbo head for more throw if so desired. I didn't need to buy this because I already have it and can exchange this with my M6. . .Besides, the M3 has a nice balance (perfectly balanced in my hands too) of spill and throw for whatever I'm using it for.

This is just my own personal thoughts on this matter.

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
As is the usual response on this forum, what are you planning to use it for? One of the M series main attributes is its shock isolation and interchangability with weapons mounted lights. If you never intend to use it on a weapon? The M3 is a very nice light but it is a step between the C series and the next levels of brightness and runtime. What do you require in a light?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Well, I will go against the grain here. I feel you should not buy an M3:
- more expensive to buy than a 9P/C3
- Turbo heads are more expensive than for the 9P/C3
- far fewer options in terms of LED units/modules/etc given the M3/M4 have unique threads for the head not shared with the "C" series (like the 9P/C2)
- heavier than the 9P/C3
- no runtime advantage over the 9P/C3

So I would personally chose a C3 instead :)

Will

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
357 said:
I'd recommend skipping the M3, and looking at the M3T, the M4 (or M6). The standard M3 isn't that much more powerful than the C3, and if you are going to spend lots of dollars on a Millenium Series i would go for the throw powerhouses (the M series with the Turbo heads).

I absolutley Agree, had an M3, left me thirsting for more, got an M6.

-PSM

kaseri

Enlightened
I was faced with the same choice recently. M3 or M6.. what to get??

I went with the M6 & I couldn't be more satisfied.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't have any experience at all with these lights, but you asked for a little convincing.....

....It SURE does look cool with a turbo head on it!

(that's as deep as I can go on this one)

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC the M3 was one of the first/only lights that was waterproof but w/o the "N" rating SF used to put on some lights. That was the reason I got mine when someone here mentioned the above.

I still like the light and got it a present the other day for being so good, a SW02 tailcap. :D

It was pics from this thread that convinced me of that move. :naughty: Mine is the older bezel style though.

-LT

George1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you BIGD, I should have mentioned the intended uses. No, it will not be a weapon light. I currently have SF G2, E2E, and E1L. I want a light that has more throw than any of my other SF lights - one that I can carry on walks or keep on my nightstand for those bumps in the night. I am not sure that either the C3 or M3 can be carried comfortably in a pocket unless you are wearing 5.11's. If not, then maybe it makes sense to consider the M4. I imagine the M4 has significantly more throw than either the M3 or M3T. Thanks for the help.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
M3 - tiny bit brighter and has a smoother beam. If you are not comparing the two it is hard to tell them apart. The M3 has a wider corona, too.. just a little bit wider.

Go for the C2 if you are cost sensitive. The clip makes it sit on a belt much better too, the M3 is hard to clip anywhere.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M3 is an awesome light.
At first, its specs made it look the least desirable one in the SF line; it's not the brightest nor does it have the best size to power ratio...
But when I actually got to use one myself, I realized that the M3 is one of the most usefull SF I have. It can confortably perform all the tasks for which I'd normally want two or more lights for (with the exception of the role of long range spotlight and keychain EDC). Granted, it doesn't offer the portability of the E2e nor does it deliver overwhelming power like the M6 but let's face it, for most tasks, the M3 works just as well... And it can take rechargeables without extensive modifications.
I've only had it for more than a week but it's the light I've used the most since then.
If you want either super portability or super throw, don't get the M3 but if you want a light that's just a great light then look into the M3.
My 2cents

Size15's

Flashaholic
Without a doubt I prefer the M3 over the C3.

I think perhaps you would enjoy the M3T over the M3 though - I use the M3T for walking at night.

You can of course get an M3 bezel (and lamps) later, or even the KL6...
You can even get an A19 and MN60/MN61/N62 lamp for four-SF123A fun!
P178.jpg

Al

P.S.
You'll likely end up getting an M6 later too... It happens and there's not much you can do :(
P257.JPG

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
Size15's, your collection always blows me away. Do you have a photo of your entire Surefire pile?

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
I don't have an up to date photo - it takes ages to set-up a photo of all of them and I've not made the time recently.

awman.gif
Maybe someday, it is an impressive collection.

E

Emilion

CHC said:
the M3 can be used with the optional turbo head for more throw if so desired. I didn't need to buy this because I already have it and can exchange this with my M6. . .Besides, the M3 has a nice balance (perfectly balanced in my hands too) of spill and throw for whatever I'm using it for.

I have M3 and M6...so I can simply swap their heads ?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Emilion said:
I have M3 and M6...so I can simply swap their heads ?

You can use the M6's TurboHead on the M3's body, but, you need either the N2, MN15 or MN16 Lamp Assemblies.

The M6's MN20 & MN21 lamps do not work [well, if at all] in the M3T.

Also, the M3's bezel does fit on the M6, BUT, the M3's lamps are not designed to handle the power the M6 provides.

Just so we're clear, the Millennium TurboHead is the one used by the M3T, M4 and M6 (as well as associated WeaponLights). However, the lamp assemblies change depending on the model - use caution to prevent accidently killing your lamps when "playing" with SureFire's interchangeability.

Al

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know Al, I always wished SF made a bulb that fits the M3 bezel and the M6 battery pack, as a pure flood light. Imagine 600+lumens of light coming out of a 1.75 inch bezel...can you say, wall of light? kinda like a incandescent counterpart of the L4....

Nick