Are Pentagonlights any good? *UPDATE*

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was thinking about getting the L2 LED light. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I would also like to know where they are made. I am NOT interested in the BOG 5W drop in. I just would like to try out a high output LED without spending a fortune on a Surefire (which I LOOOOVE by the way). Any help you can give would be appreciated...

EDIT: Just ordered the L2 3W HA. I guess we'll see, won't we?

Last edited:

not2bright

Enlightened
Re: Are Pentagonlights any good?

KDOG3,

Are you looking for flood or throw?

The S2 appears to be a flood type light with the 19 leds. If you are looking for distance look at the L2 or L3.

It had been mentioned that the build quality and fit and finish is as good or better than SF.

I had ordered an L2 a while ago. I can let you know how it is when I get it.

Also, this post would be more appropriate in the LED forum.

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, my questions were regarding where they were made and if they were any good. Doesn't need to be in LED forum for that.

Thanks for your comments though...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

There has been many Pentagonlight posts. I'd suggest a search, and you'll receive plenty of info.

They are really good lights, from Burlingame, California.

--dan

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I saw your thread over at USN. Very nice, may have to pick one up. Makes me kinda dissappointed in Surefire though. They should be able to produce a light like that for about the same price. I wonder why they don't...

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a couple of Pentagon lights but don't use them much. They seem well built and the 1 cell I've got even came with a McGizmo style tab connector so I would hazard someone from there reads here.

dano,
Search doesn't bring up anything before the software change-over.

-LT

McGizmo

Flashaholic
EDIT:

Comments removed as they were primarily off topic and none of my business. :eek:

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S2 probably uses older, 10,000 or 12,000 mcd LEDs. I would guess that the 19-LED Quake II or 21-LED MEK would be brighter. Each uses 23,000 mcd LEDs, runs on two 123A cells, and costs under $8. I've owned both and they were plenty bright.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW. It looks like I've found a new light! Looks great by the pics. Can't wait to get my grubby paws on it...

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Cost side, there is less R&D, I think they just pick up what is proven. They saw a winning formula and copied it without all the associated risk.
I would rather stay with a company that breaks new ground, Surefire.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
JonSidneyB said:
On the Cost side, there is less R&D, I think they just pick up what is proven. They saw a winning formula and copied it without all the associated risk.

Now thats a pretty rotten comment. How could YOU know that? Exactly, you don't. What you are saying is that everybody just copies Surefire. Or are you just really uncomfortable with the fact that someone as come out with a really good light at a MUCH better price?

Mark2

Enlightened
Jon, wiring a Luxeon to a current regulator is *not* rocket science, it's actually super-simple technology from an electrical engineering point of view. Current regulator designs for EVERY kind of application are EVERYWHERE. All the RD you put into this kind of product is designing *your* small regulator, and finding a way of producing it in numbers at a good price. It doesn't help you the least to know that some other guy managed to find a way of producing *his* small current regulator. And speaking of it: I heard Surefire is trying to file patents on the Darpa lights (5mm LEDs + Luxeon). Remember that PentagonLight showed their Multitasking series 2 years ago? If there is a flashlight company worthy of being called "innovative" then it's Night-Ops, and maybe HDS.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Mark2,
SF had a beast with 5 mm LED's probably way before Pentagon was even established. I believe the A2 was around in concept prior to Pentagon. I built this mod:

thumb.jpg

before anyone heard of Pentagon. As for the Darpa Lights, I have no idea of the nature of the patent but with the custom optics, some of the switching capabilities and other aspects in those lights, I am not surprised if there is some legit IP within. I could care less, one way or the other.

I agree that the Gladius is an inovative design and one that has shown merit to some of its inovation. Henry and HDS is also on his own and unique path as is evidenced in his lights. If Pentagon has shown inovation beyond implimentations of recognizable design elements, I have yet to pick up on such. I have no beef with Pentagon either.

If there is an inference that SF is not inovative, I strongly disagree but no matter. SF has probably the deepest and broadest in house R&D program backing their product line and mush of the familiar landscape today was originally mapped out by SF.

What any of this might have to do with the Q "Are Pentagonlights any good", I am not sure. :shrug:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Marc ... I tried that, too. :crackup: No game :D :D ... this one is not for us ...
bernie

P.S.: seems we have a new player in the "hot emotions" league of manufacturers ... :green:

marcspar

Enlightened
Bernie, it never hurts to ask/beg/plead, (I think)!

At least you got the early hd45 with the luxV!

Marc

ps - hopefully the emotions will fall wayside to facts, but then again if history repeats itself......