SL-35X and SL-20x Opinions?

randman

Banned
I handled these at the range today. At first glance they seem like a good value. What is the CPF consenus on these lights?

I want and like throw.
Seems easy enough to have an extra battery charged.
Does the beam adjust....or how is the beam shape and hot spot?

Does it throw like an ultrastinger...with big side spill? What could I compare it to on the surefire line?

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 35x and it will light up a field. It also has descent throw but unlike the UltraStinger in which you can adjust the focus the 35x is fixed...

Dave

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SL-20/35X is a fine light. It's and excellent performer, solid, and dependable. For pure throw, however, the Magcharger and Ultrastinger will outperform it. It's in the shape of the reflector. The SL-20X with 35X lamp is one of the brightest, manufacturer-approved combos available.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are good lights, but not in the class of either the MagCharger or the Tigerlight.

The MagCharger is built better, features HAIII anodization, is the same size as the SL20 and essentially as bright as the SL35 while being smaller. The SL35 has more flood than the MC, though.

The Tigerlight, especially in the 8" FBOP version, is smaller, built much better, and has HAIII also.

Both the MagCharger and Tigerlight can be modded to be much brighter than either of the Streamlights.

In this class, and if I had to have a Streamlight, it would be the Ultrastinger.

Bill

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Randman,

If you remove the lip from the 35XL lamp assembly, it fits wonderfully in the TigerLight. One of my favorite beams...

Tom