opinion's on Fenix 1Lp

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got off the road and see this light being talked about. (and the HDS 85 but didn't make quite enough $ just yet)

I got an idea of size, nice package for a AA, I just would like some feedback
on tint, brightness, compared to the usual 1w suspects,, switch action, throw, flood- spot ratio, general info. I posted here since i want feedback from some owners that have lived with one for a while. (as opposed to "description's" of the light in the GB thread) thanks! VDG

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the Fenix L1P First Impressions thread on the Reviews forum - bhds and other owners have posted their opinions of the light there, and TIN has his own review of the light in a seperate thread.

Krit

Enlightened
I got two and it's very cool tiny light. The tint is seem to be lottery of luxeon. one is bule tint and another one is cool yellow tint. All impression is very good for me. I use Panasonic new high capacity battery and found that it's very bright compare to my 3 watt light.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been EDCing mine (v2.0) since early in the month and can tell you that it's a hands down must buy. The build quality, output, beam, switch, size, everything is superb and matches or bests lights costing over twice as much IMHO- none of which run on a single AA battery. Go ahead and peruse the threads for specifics, but I say just get one (its cheap enough) and find out for yourself :D .

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
>but I say just get one (its cheap enough) and find out for yourself

What's the procedure for that?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Well. I must say I have some concerns now after reading TIN's review on the 2.5. I wonder if anyone else has both, and if 2.0 is still available from
retailer's. I know JSB has them, anyone else besides the GB sell these? I know I might be jumping the gun on a slide down in construction of the 2.5,
but I do trust T-Nas's review's.

Any opinion's? VDG

PS, I will get one, It's not that, I like many here, just want to get one that will be trouble free as possible.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
fhapgood said:
>but I say just get one (its cheap enough) and find out for yourself

What's the procedure for that?
take a qualtity knife, most are 59-61 rockwell range. pick a spot that will not show. see if you can scratch thru.

knife will bounced off a good HA job, VS scratch thru easily on color anodizing.

there's in no known non destructive tests for HA. only exception is if you have access to SAME part and was able to measure SAME part before and after anodizing.

can't go by darkness of HA color. it may have been dyed and/or be different darkness due to alloy. hardness scratch test is pretty reliable.

for more details, here's a Q & A for HA from FF site http://tinyurl.com/9d7tk

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
voodoogreg said:
Well, Well. I must say I have some concerns now after reading TIN's review on the 2.5. I wonder if anyone else has both, and if 2.0 is still available from retailer's...
In that and other threads, 2.5 owners have posted comparative 2.0 vs 2.5 beam shots, and there's little apparent difference. Certainly the 2.0 was not brighter. Others have reported visually the 2.5 seems slightly brighter, which would be expected.

I wouldn't assume based on a single report the 2.0 is some kind of wonder light that's superior to the 2.5. I have three 2.5s and they're very consistent -- nice spot pattern, good output, great overall design. However the true output is likely closer to 35 lumens than 46, but that's still roughly equal to my Peak Caribbean.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
voodoogreg said:
Well, Well. I must say I have some concerns now after reading TIN's review on the 2.5. I wonder if anyone else has both, and if 2.0 is still available from
retailer's. I know JSB has them, anyone else besides the GB sell these? I know I might be jumping the gun on a slide down in construction of the 2.5,
but I do trust T-Nas's review's.

Any opinion's? VDG

PS, I will get one, It's not that, I like many here, just want to get one that will be trouble free as possible.

I would definately, without hesitation, suggest that you or anyone else interested in a nice 1xAA light to get the Fenix. This issues/concerns that I mentioned in my quick review appear to be very isolated. My switch "issues" were not difficult to overcome and I've only noticed one other reported "issue" concerning the switch. A simple tightening down the lock-ring has taken care of it. I too, question the advertised output of the v2.5, but I'm not considering that a big deal, since I had already like the output vs runtime feature of the Fenix light. I'm shown in my review thread that it's pretty consistant to expect at least 2-hours of good runtime on and E2 cell, with more hours of useable light for the next couple hours after that. I can certainly live with that from a 1-cell AA light.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
joema said:
In that and other threads, 2.5 owners have posted comparative 2.0 vs 2.5 beam shots, and there's little apparent difference. Certainly the 2.0 was not brighter. Others have reported visually the 2.5 seems slightly brighter, which would be expected.

I wouldn't assume based on a single report the 2.0 is some kind of wonder light that's superior to the 2.5. I have three 2.5s and they're very consistent -- nice spot pattern, good output, great overall design. However the true output is likely closer to 35 lumens than 46, but that's still roughly equal to my Peak Caribbean.

Good to know, I think the number of light's TIN had is what raised a flag, 10,,
that he felt only (IIRC) 3 were as bright or a bit brighter then his 2.0. (which as he mentioned could be a real blinder) But thanks for the post I don't feel so
afraid to get one now, I just am not kickin' on cash right now so i can't do the official CPF BB. :) VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar said:
I would definately, without hesitation, suggest that you or anyone else interested in a nice 1xAA light to get the Fenix. This issues/concerns that I mentioned in my quick review appear to be very isolated. My switch "issues" were not difficult to overcome and I've only noticed one other reported "issue" concerning the switch. A simple tightening down the lock-ring has taken care of it. I too, question the advertised output of the v2.5, but I'm not considering that a big deal, since I had already like the output vs runtime feature of the Fenix light. I'm shown in my review thread that it's pretty consistant to expect at least 2-hours of good runtime on and E2 cell, with more hours of useable light for the next couple hours after that. I can certainly live with that from a 1-cell AA light.

Hey TIN! we posted at the same time! glad you posted as I said I had some fear of the 2.5 but your reviews/comment's on other light's I bought on those
impression's have been spot on! so i'm glad this is a Ok deal. well i guess i need to put in an order, and as always thanks for your very level and unbiased input! you da man TI-nas! VDG

Latest posts