Anyone familiar with this older Zenith TV?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a 27" Zenith system 3 stereo. The model # is SJ2775BG. I will receive one for free. Supposedly it has picture in picture so I would assume at the time, it must have been a nicer model.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a search through Google Groups seems to indicate it's late-'90s vintage, and some folks have had tuner problems with them. Anything with PIP would have been fairly decent when it came out, even a Zenith. Can't beat the price.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh. I thought you may had a little 13 inch B&W one. I had one like that which the photo turned into a vertical line. Supposely the large power transistor was the problem. I was ready to replace it then when my mom found out i had it apart ready to fix it, she threw it away.

Wow, picture in picture? When I was at the nursing home visiting my mother, there was a few sports fans who had two tvs side by side watching different games. What a noisy place that was as they had many male and female sports fans, I was the only nascar fan.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the tuner issue is usually bad solder joints.
worst thing about these sets is lots of bad crt's.
but get a good one and they perform well.
cant beat the price.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I had a 1985 heathkit (zenith system 3) but after 16 years the infrared remote receiver died on it. The set had a great tuner in it I could pick up stations over 500 miles away on occasion. I sold it for $10 when I inherited a brand new RCA 25 inch set.

*Retired*
Lynx_Arc said:
I had a 1985 heathkit (zenith system 3) but after 16 years the infrared remote receiver died on it. The set had a great tuner in it I could pick up stations over 500 miles away on occasion. I sold it for $10 when I inherited a brand new RCA 25 inch set.

I had a 1974 Heathkit TV that I watched and maintained until just a few years ago, when my wife finally decided it was a bit long in the tooth, and lack of special video inputs for the new whizbangs pushed me over the point, and I sadly parted with it.

It had one of those air whistle remotes.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have an old Zenith 27" Digital System 3 from the late 80s or early 90s. It still runs like a champ and makes a great picture. This particular set had a built-in Teletext (!) receiver and an IS-15 (pre-CableCard) interface which also worked really well. It's still my main TV set since it's still performing flawlessly.
:)