Question about Surefire KL led heads

icebeng

Newly Enlightened
I'd like some information about the Surefire KL led heads from you guys.

I know there's KL1, KL3, KL4, KL5 and KL6.
The KL1 and KL3 have optics while the KL4 has a reflector.
Am I right so far?

I would like to know more about the characteristics of the heads,
especially the KL5 and KL6 as I know next to nothing about them.

Would I be wrong to say that KL3 has the furthest throw among them?

I also understand that the heads have their own regulators.
So using a 3 cell body instead of a 2 cell body would have no effect on the light's output? Only increases runtime?

Are there adapters available to use the KL3 on an E series body?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep all the stuff you think you know the answers to you are correct... the kl3 is the longest throw... the kl1 and 3 have optics (tif's)...

from what i know the Kl5 head is a 5 watt LED (kl3 is a 3) and shoots more spill like a L2... a little better thower than the l2 but not by much... the kl6 i don't know much about either but i think its similar to the kl5

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The KL5 is similar to the U2 and throws significantly better than the L2 and L4. The big advantage is a strong and relatively tight corona that throws also well in medium distances. In conjunction with the relatively big hotspot you get a huge terrain coverage in medium distances.

The KL6 has a deeper reflector still and throws a bit further and tighter, but can run on 3x123 on the M3 and M6.

bernie

Danintex

Enlightened
I have the L5 and an L4 and the L5 is a great search light for short to medium distance. It has good throw, but lots of side spill make it easy to walk or scan an area. The L4 is just a pure flood light with almost no throw.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, in response to this, I'm looking for another head for my 6p. I want good throw but don't want to pay a fortune for batteries. I have the 3w drop in from bug out gear but it's not enough throw for me. How does the new KL3 compare to the 5? What about run times??? Thanks

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
socom45 said:
Hi guys, in response to this, I'm looking for another head for my 6p. I want good throw but don't want to pay a fortune for batteries. I have the 3w drop in from bug out gear but it's not enough throw for me. How does the new KL3 compare to the 5? What about run times??? Thanks

IMHO: From my experience with both, the KL3 (generation 2) has a MUCH tighter focus than the KL5. It has alot more throw (around twice as much) but virtually no spill. The KL3-G2 has a bit more blueish tint wheras the KL5 is very white (the Luxeon lottery still applies of course). The KL3-G2 will run around three times as long as the KL5 on the same number of batteries and it also runs alot cooler than the KL5. To sum it up the KL3-G2 is a thrower and the KL5 is a flooder (is that a word). Personally I love the KL5 on my L5, it is the one I tend to grab most but the KL3-G2 is a very nice LED head.