Brainstorming - Using LED's as Camper Reverse Lights

txmatt

Enlightened
I've got a popup camper that currently doesn't have reverse/backup lights. These would be really convenient/helpful when backing into campsites after dark. The simplest solution would be to get some cheapie automotive lights (ie fog lights) and mount them on the back bumper of the camper. These are usually 55 watts (~4 amps at 12V) each. One light and certainly two would not doubt require a relay instead of pulling power from the existing reverse light circuit on my car. Even downsizing to lower wattage bulbs would be pulling more current than I want to pull off that circuit.

So what would be a good LED solution? I don't need to light up the entire area behind the camper, mainly a few feet behind the rear corners and to the sides a bit. A couple Lux's maybe? Or maybe 1/2 dozen Nichia CS's? Then comes to how to mount them. A small diameter section of PVC could be mounted above the bumper to mount the LED's in. I could even mount an LED in each end cap for some side lighting. Painted black this would be nearly invisible.

On the electronics front, my first thought is to build a voltage regulator and drive them at 3.5-4.5 volts. It's possible I would also use these as area lighting for longer periods while camping so I'd choose a voltage that doesn't drive them too hard.

I'd love to hear what input comes from this group.

Thanks,
Matt

txmatt

Enlightened
On a related note for this or other projects, what about connecting multiple LED's in series. For example, assuming 4 identical LED's in series direct drive from a 12v source, you'd get 3 volts across each LED. Even if you sometimes had 15v at te source, you'd be under 4 volts across each LED. Are LED variations likely to endanger one of the LED's by applying higher voltage across it? This might make for a very simple and cheap 12v LED light.

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
I have a forty foot fifth wheel toy hauler and I added reverse lights to it. I swapped out the four inch round stop/tail/turn lights with LED ones from Truck-Lite. They were direct replacements for the factory incandescents. I added matching four inch round LED backup lights that each have 54 Nichia white LED's. They draw .38 amps at 12VDC and put out some serious light. I also swapped out all of my marker lights with LED's. I swapped out my ramp lights too which are above the rear ramp door to illuminate the loading ramp. I used a seven inch rectangular LED light that has like 120 white Nichias in it and those suckers really put out the light. Those were also a replacement Backup Light from Federal Signal. There are a bunch of backup/interior/warning white LED lights from several manufacturers such as Truck-Lite & Federal Signal. These can easily be run from your trucks backup light circuit. My trailer is quite a site when I stop at a gas station I leave my running lights on and it looks real cool.