Pentagonlights new 250 lumen monster...

Mark2

Enlightened
The X4 has been in the PentagonLight line-up since the company started making flashlights. Pictures of various prototypes have been published. However, the X4 is still not available. The latest news is that it might be ready for SHOT '06.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
DoubleDutch said:
Let's wait and see...
I don't think you can get a full 250 lumen out of four cr123's for 60 minutes. Maybe the first two minutes? For the average performance either the runtime or the output should be about halved.

Kees

Surefire M4 says it gets 250 lumens out of 4x123A for 60 minutes (or 350 lumens for 20 minutes).

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
I've thought about this, and maybe you are right, But this would mean a great leap in efficiency from the Xenon bulb. My experience is the following.

I have a 12V LA assembly from emillionworkshop in a 3 cell Ultrafire body, driven by 3 Batteryspace 650 mAh RCR123's. Runtime is about 20 minutes. Claimed Lumens are 200.

From my simple arithmatic, this setup produces almost 2 Amps (3 x 650), which at 12 Volts (RCR123's hold their voltage pretty well under load, I have learned?) would mean around 24 Watts. These are all quite high numbers, and comparable to P91 output? So I am tempted to believe the 200 Lumen claim, maybe even more.

This is backed up by my field experience when comparing this setup with my TL3 bulb in TL2 body (30 minutes runtime). Comparable reflector size (=throw), and a claimed (!) 200 Lumen Streamlight bulb.

Well, I can tell you, the Ultrafire from Emil COMPLETELY BLOWS AWAY the Streamlight. It seems like twice the amount of light!

So I recon: the Streamlight figures may be overdone (probably are), but the Ultrafire can impossibly be much less than 200 Lumen.

If this is the case, three RCR123's give 200 Lumen for 20 minutes, so 4 CR123's can approximately give 250 for 30 minutes (voltage sags more), if the efficiency is comparable.

Having said this, if the Ultrafire can blow away the Streamlight like that, can the Pentagon do the same to the Ultrafire? It's a nice thought, but I am somewhere between hopeful and (close to) sceptical.

Please point out any basic mistakes in this.

Kees

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A TL-3 on two RCR2's is only 8.4v (maximum) going to a 9v bulb, which is a bit underdriven. I've seen this setup rated at 120+ lumens (not 200). Also, I notice on the Streamlight website, they actually rate the TL-3 as being a 175 lumen flashlight (again, not 200).

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
O.K. Point taken. Underdriving a bulb will cost a lot of lumens. A 12 Volt LA driven by 3 RCR123's may actually be slightly overdriven, which would explain the difference; it is possibly over 200 lumen.

Since I find primary CR123's too expensive and environmentally not to be preferred, I am constantly on the lookout for compact ways to go with rechargeables. I now have 4 lights running RCR123's (2xQIII, TL and Ultrafire) and one on RCR2 (Orb raw). I also have read enthousiastic posts about the TL3 run on 17500 rechargeables. Maybe I will have to look into this some more, since it has a reported 60 minutes runtime, and better throw.

There are always new things to learn and to be desired. I'd better start saving some money first.

Kees

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
Thanks for the most informative review, Paul.

So the G&P 12V LA that I bought from Emil could be doing as much as 220 Lumen. This explains it all (I have no Surefires to compare to); it blows away all my other lights. The thing it lacks is some real throw, but you can't have it all in such a sleek package. The wall of light is impressive enough as it is.

I think the beauty of three rechargeable cells is that you are probably spot on for 12 Volts (not too hot off the charger!), whereas two cells will always underdrive a 9 volt LA. Runtime from the RCR123's leaves to be desired, and that is where your suggestions may come in. Along with some type of turbo head for more throw.

I guess that the LA at $12 and the Ultrafire 3 cell body at $28 are as cheap as you can get. No anodising, just black paint. The silver version is quite nice (my 14 year old son has caught the germ in a bad way, and owns a silver one, along with this and his Orb Raw he is the envy of his classmates, and can't wait till summer camp).

But, PayPal vacuum at the moment. And so many other lights to consider (Tristar Phaser!).

Happy shining.

Kees

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed, the G&P 12V lamp assembly is neither as focused as a Streamlight TL-3 or Pentagonlight X3 nor as wide as a Wolf Eyes or Pila; it's a nice compromise. With a 43mm miniturbo head (a la G&P 9S, LEDWave Z-3, or Digilght USA T12 head), it becomes a thrower.

But I have no use for lights that can't use protected rechargeables. The G&P 12V lamp won't light up from three AW protected 17500 cells, but I've just ordered a third Pila 150S cell. The Pilas should do the job. Question is, even if I let them rest for a day after charging, will they blow the bulb? I'll report my findings in the Incandescent forum.

FiveMega makes several 2x168 and 3x168 conversions that offer upward of 500 lumens. Most are based on Mag 2C, 2.5C, 2D, and 3D bodies, or Stingers. I like my lights to be pocketable; otherwise, I'd grab one of everything he makes.

Last edited: