Brightest Bulb for 3d Mag?

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for the brightest bulb I can put in a 3d mag. I am also trying to decide if I want to go led. I know I can just DD a lux3, but would a Wiz2 converter board be good for regulation?

As far as incadescent goes, I have read all about the mag85, 100, and 35, but for that kind of money I would just as soon just buy a magcharger or ultra-stinger.

What I am looking for is the cheapest way to get a little more brightness out of a 3d mag, and still use nimh D cells. I already have the brighter stock bulb - I forget what it is called(NextStar?, BrightStar?, WhiteStar?). I have thought about putting in a 2 cell bulb, but I don't know if it would work without blowing. I know the nimh cells have lower voltage than alkalines, but don't they deliver higher current, which is what makes the bulb blow when overdriven?

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting a potted Strion or CA1122 bulb should give you excellent brightness when using NiMH D cells. I do not recommend using a 2 cell bulb.

Sigbjoern

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
So where can I get the Strion or CA1122 bulbs? in a store? I would prefer to get something readily available in stores.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought potted Strion bulbs from Fivemega, but I think he is sold out now, but there may be someone willing to sell you one. CA1122 you can get from CarleyLamps.com, but they have a minimum order (I don't remember how much it was) so you can eiter arrange a group buy or send a PM to Litho123 and ask him if he can help.

Sigbjoern