Princeton Tec Yukon HL

boonsht

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I've been trying to keep my gear with the same kind of battery type so I decided to look into a headlamp in the AA category. Looking at flashlightreviews, it seems the closest one to what i'm looking for is the PT Yukon HL. I'm looking for long runtimes as well as bright "white" light.

Here is a review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/princetontec_yukonhl.htm

Anyone have any experience with this headlamp?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I bought for of them. Two were for gifts & two were for our use.

These are good lights. One of the four had a warm tint. You could check for tint if there is a R.E.I. store near you.

I have several headlamps and the Yukon HL is one of my favorites.

You can focus the Luxeon to some extent. Just shine it on a wall and turn the head to focus and then leave it in that position.

There are some artifacts, but not enough to be a problem in actual use.

Here's QuickBeam's review of the Yukon HL.

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I have one that I realy like, IMHO one of the better headlamps out there thats all LED but I have a few problems with it. 1) the main LED is a varey stickey yello/green coller 2) NOT REGULATED!!- kind of a good thing though as you get a taper off apose to a quick drop. outher than that I love mine, use it on lots of night hikes/geocaching at night.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own several headlamps, and Yukon HL is the only one I have been using lately. I use it with NiMH cells. The high/spot mode has green/yellow tint and some artifacts, while the low mode has blue/purple tint and an even flood. It is only the tint in the low mode that comes close to bothering me. I like it, but I will soon sell it to get a Princeton Tec Apex instead.

Sigbjoern

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the PT Yukon HL and a Black Diamond Zenix IQ, I prefer the Zenix IQ over the Yukon HL it's smaller, lighter, regulated and I like beam better YMMV :shrug: I'm not a serious head lamp user like some here.

The PT Apex it's due out in several weeks, on paper it looks really nice, regulated, LuxIII LED, battery power meter, submersible, high quality Nichia's just to name a few features. If you not in a hurry it should be worth waiting on the reviews to see how it turns out........You may find a Yukon HL in the B/S/T section at a nice price :)

Later
Kelly

boonsht

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the replies :)

Hoghead, what other headlamps do you own if you don't mind me asking?

Still not sure what to do as funds are a bit limited at the moment with mortgage and property tax coming up heh. It seems the PT apex is something i might wait for.... if i don't get tempted to buy a Yukon HL already that is :grin2:

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Princeton Tec Yukon HL x2
Princeton Tec Corona x1
Petzl Zipka x2
Petzl Tikka Plus x1
Princeton Tec Matrix 2 x3
Petzl Duo 3LED x2
Streamlight Septor x4
Streamlight Trident x1 (I don't like the artifacts in the beam)
Princeton Tec Vortec x2
Pelican 2600 Heads UP (poor battery life & not as durable as I want)

The top four are the ones I prefer. These are all that come to mind right now.

I sold some ElektroLumes 1 watt LED headlamps and I gave away a Eveready that has 2 white LEDs & 1 red LED.

I might buy the Princeton Tec EOS & the Streamlight ARGO HP.

Last edited:

john749

Newly Enlightened
I have a new Yukon HP and one of the LED's burned out the first time I used it.