Batteries and heat

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
After watching all the news concerning hurricanes, I've decided that it's best to leave some batteries in my truck. Any know the effects of 98~105F on batteries? I use the range 98~105F as this is what we've been getting here in Austin,TX.

chiphead (toasted)

df96817

Newly Enlightened
Lithium batteries such as Energizer's E2 can withstand heat from -40 F to 140 F. Would be safe to go with those just in case but they are VERY pricey.

Flashlight Enthusiast
chiphead said:
After watching all the news concerning hurricanes, I've decided that it's best to leave some batteries in my truck. Any know the effects of 98~105F on batteries? I use the range 98~105F as this is what we've been getting here in Austin,TX.

chiphead (toasted)

If its 98-105F outside, its probably 120F + inside the car. keep this in mind, even with windows partially down the inside seriously bakes.

David_Campen

Enlightened
This PDF file has plots of the effect of storage at various temperatures on Energizer AA Alkaline cells:
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/x91.pdf
It shows that at 40C (104F) the battery will still have 75% capacity after 4 years. But, as was already noted, a car will get much hotter than that - perhaps 50C (122F) and the battery would degrade much faster. But then, the car is not always that hot so maybe an alkaline would last 4 years or more; the D-cells in my maglight seem to.

Lithium AA cells will last much longer. Here is the corresponding datasheet for Energizer Lithium AA cells:
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf
This shows the Lithium AA retaining 75% capacity after 9 years at 40C or 1 year at 60C (140F).

Last edited:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering why my Tri-Star Phazer doesn't last too long in the Vegas heat. I load it with Energizer Alkalines.

Jeff

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the reason why I will not purchase a flashlight that won't handle lithiums. Thanks for the feedback!

chiphead