E1L or E1E

FredM

Enlightened
Getting a light needs to be super small and one of these.

Wondering:

Which would you pick? It seems from reviews that the E1L outperforms the E1e in both total output and throw.

Battery life is worse on the E1L but the E1L is regulated correct? so it will have the same output over the useful life of the batteries?

Any input on the comparison between these would be great. Basically I think the E1L is the choice as size is a factor and more light = better.

Thanks

gorlank

Enlightened
If you're gonna get it, get the E1L, the incand version is overpriced and underwhelms. I think the E1e beam is pretty sickly and comparable to a Mag lite. Hardly the pocket cannon I had read of.
If you want the throw of incand. get the E2e, much better bang for the buck.

FredM

Enlightened
gorlank said:
If you're gonna get it, get the E1L, the incand version is overpriced and underwhelms. I think the E1e beam is pretty sickly and comparable to a Mag lite. Hardly the pocket cannon I had read of.
If you want the throw of incand. get the E2e, much better bang for the buck.

Yeah I agreeon the E2e but I need the small size of one of these lights.

So the E1L blows away the E1e in terms of light output?

WDR65

Enlightened
I don't know about blows away, but there is a considerable difference with the E1L having an edge on overall light and possibly even with throw, though I never did a real direct comparison. Also the E1L's runtime as you referred to it is short at max output, but it still produces light for several hours later, when the E1e dims it dies fairly quickly afterwards. In that size class I think I would go for the E1L for sure instead of the E1e.

Hans

Enlightened
FredM said:
So the E1L blows away the E1e in terms of light output?

Im a word - yes. In a direct comparison the E1e looks like a sad joke. Definitely not worth buying anymore.

You should be aware though that the E1L is all throw and very little spill. But for the size it's got an incredible amount of throw. If you need a small light and it's got to be a Surefire there's no other way to go than the E1L.

By the way, if you decide to get the E1L do yourself a favour and get a McGizmo 2-stage tailcap. No more problem with runtime, because much of the time you'll probably only need the light on low power.

Hans

WDR65

Enlightened
Well, if you're going to get the two stage tailcap then you might as well get the L1, about the same throw and output, but with two levels and unless I'm mistaken cheaper than buying the E1L and the McGizmo tailcap. Its a little longer, but not by a whole lot.

FredM

Enlightened
As crazy at it seems 4" is already pushing it on size for this application.

Looks like the E1L is my light so far. 1 hour of light seems like plenty and burning out 1 battery per hour is pretty reasonable cost wise.

MongoMadness

Newly Enlightened
I have both and would highly recommend the E1L.

I've upgraded mine with a F04 beamshaper that I use most of the time but can quickly remove when I need throw. It takes up a negligible amount of extra space, and it protects the bezel.

I wasn't fond of the clickie switch that came on mine (I think it was defective). I also wasn't overly fond of the bezel out carry. Too much of the light was sticking out of my pocket and it fell out on more than one occasion.

I finally purchased a Vital Gear FB1 and with the F04 I think I have the perfect EDC light (until I decide which HDS light to get). The FB1 is smaller. It lets you carry the bezel down and puts the light deep into your pocket. I haven't had it fall out once. The clickie works great too and won't be accidentally depressed. Also it allows you to set the light down on the endcap to use it like a candle. I've found this useful on more than a few occasions.

You might find a good deal on a KL1 head here or on eBay. Then you could just buy the FB1 and an F04 and save some money.

FredM

Enlightened
I thought the new E1's came with the Z57 tailcap?

You push lightly for momentary then harder to "click" it on right?

I do like that Vital Gear FB1 body though. So now I officially hate you. I had this decision wrapped up till I saw that.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I went to John at Lighthound.com and bought the Vital Gear FB1 along with the KL1 bezel at a very good price: http://www.lighthound.com/sales/surefire_flashlight_bezels_led_heads.php
I decided I wanted more spill than throw so I then bought the L4 (from the local Chesapeake Knife & Tool store) and swapped heads. So I now have the KL4 on the FB1 (must use a rechargeable 123 or the KL4 is underdriven). And the KL1 is now on the L4 body...works great, with lots of (long-lasting) throw. ;)

The KL4 on the FB1 provides ridiculously bright flood (the KL4 is often referred to as "the wall of light")...and the combo is now only 3.3" in length!!!...Considerably shorter than the EL1 or E1E.

Last edited:

FredM

Enlightened
Ok so a KL4 + a FB1 + what batteries and charger?

What is the max output runtime?

Also is the KL4 shorter than the KL1?

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
You can also use the KL4 head on the E1L (or E1E for that matter) body. It is incredible. I use protected rechargeable batteries from Battery Station. I havent timed it but I think people have said about 20 minutes on high. Does it have to be Surefire? I think if I would compare the beam on the E1L (not the version with the KL4 head, but the standard one) with the QIII I would pick the QIII. The KL4 head beats the heck out of the QIII but getting an E1L and a KL4 is about $200 even with discounts. The QIII is an incredible 1 cell light for $29.

FredM

Enlightened
Where is the QIII 29 bucks? I saw it for 40 which compared with the E1L for 62 does not compare in terms of materials (lens) finish (Type2 v Type 3) and name brand.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I always have two MN01 based flashlights on my person, whenever I leave the house. Also have a waterproof match carrier with two spare batteries with me.

Sometimes, I add a third flashlight. Usually when I'm going out in the evening. I have a wide variety of Surefire's to choose from. :sssh:

oldgrandpajack

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
If you prefer the E1 body, you can buy that from Lighthound for $31.99...but then you have to buy a tailcap as well, which is at least another $20 bucks. The FB1 body is only $35...the tailcap and body are all one part...it stands on end, and it's considerably shorter than the E1 body and tailcap. The KL4 is just over 1/8" (.15") shorter than the KL1. But.....one very important little tidbit...while the KL1 runs $50 or so...the KL4 is $100-125! Which is why I bought the entire L4...For just another $35 I also got the 2-cell L4 body and tailcap (which BTW, is a clickie). I'm now using the L4 with the KL1...although I do have a rather interesting, non-surefire bezel due to arrive tomorrow, that can also be used with the L4. :D

Runtime of a Q3 using a CR123 is 30-45 minutes...with a rechargeable 123 is only about 20 minutes but it's a whole lot brighter. The KL4 can be used with a CR123 but that's a real waste as it'll be underdriven. With a rechargeable, it's about the same as the Q3,...15-20 minutes...but it absolutely blows the Q3 out of the water.

Oh, I almost forgot to point out something... Unless John (Lighthound) is getting some in, you'll have to find the KL4 bevel elsewhere. You might want to try Marty Weiner, he seems to get surefire parts on a regular basis: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=90409

or there's Oldgrandpajack (see above post). He's always posting stuff in the B/S/T classifieds down below.

And there are any number of places that sell the L4 or the KL4 separately...
Here's one for starters: http://www.brightguy.com/manufacturer/surefire.php

Hope all that didn't make things worse for you. I know all too well how keeping track of all this and at the same time trying to come to a decision, can drive one nuts :huh2: :shakehead :rant:

Last edited:

FredM

Enlightened
Osprey_Guy said:
Hope all that didn't make things worse for you. I know all too well how keeping track of all this and at the same time trying to come to a decision, can drive one nuts :huh2: :shakehead :rant:

Yeah you definetly threw a monkey in the wrench. But due to runtime and the delay in getting it (instant Gratification and all) I am gonna go with the E1L for right now.

I love this idea and will probably get this light later after more research into the R123s required to make it work well. How long will they hold a charge unused?

If I do it i will definetly get the FB1 for extra bling. Thats a sweet combo. Can you post a pic next to a tape measure or something? To get to 3.3" wouldn't the JB1 have to be over a half inch shorter than the E1 body?

Last edited:

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
Here is a pic I just happened to have up on another forum ;) LOA is about 85mm

196288.jpg

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Here's a pic I shot the other day of the KL4/FB1 in comparison with my Q3 (sans clip...I've since removed the clip from the FB1 as well..I use a sheath on my belt).

52479427-ca4f-01F80194-.jpg