EDC L2 vs A2

FredM

Enlightened
Sorry if this has been done to death.

Currently EDC a streamlight scorpion that I got with a gun purchase. It has proved extremely useful and fun and I finally "Got" the whole super expensive flashlight thing.

Now I am looking for an upgrade because I dislike the rubber, thick bezel and no clip on the streamlight.

For some reason I am drawn to the LED lights. Long runtime and white beam.

The long length of these lights won't matter to me.

I am pretty sure I will be happy with either one and will probably have both soon.

From the beamshots I have seen the A2 on high is similar to my Scorpion right?

Does the A2 provide adequate walk light on low?

To a layman will the L2 seem brighter?

WDR65

Enlightened
I don't have an L2, so I can't really comment on it except for the fact that it has more of a flood beam than a spot like your scorpion. As for the A2 the leds do provide adequate light to walk by on low, with the right type of surface below it like white/blue gravel I've used mine where I could comfortably see things with the led's at 30 feet or more. Normal use though you can see about 15-20 feet.

The A2's high beam is similar to the Scorpion but not quite as bright initially, after a few minutes though as the Scorpion starts to dim when it drains the batteries the A2's regulator will keep it at the same output level as when it started. The regulator will do that as long as there is enough juice left in the batteries, somewhere around 45-55 minutes in my experience.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The L2 is a very powerful flood light with not much throw but an incredible area coverage whereas the A2 has significantly more throw on the high beam.
On low the L2 is brighter than the A2, but as WDR65 said the A2 is pretty sufficient for all "low-beam-tasks".

On a first glance the L2 is brighter and whiter than the A2, but if you prefer an incan beam the A2 with the regulated incan is a blast!

I am a LED-guy and have recently acquired an A2, and I really really like it.

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If you want a dimmer low-beam and / or a shorter light you can buy an L4 (same set-up as the L2 with a tad less current) and add a McGizmo McE2S 2-stage tailcap to get a two-stage light with a dimmer low and shorter length, but the low beam will be unregulated.

bernie

FredM

Enlightened
I think for my uses throw is kinda more of a fun factor than useful. And I cannot really see a need for a lower light output than the L2 on Low level especially since the A2 and L2 have similar runtime on Low levels.

I am now looking at getting the L2 to fufill immediate EDC duties then add the A2 for collecting fun purposes.

Thanks alot for answering both of my total NEWB posts.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the L2... i haven't really compared the A2 to the L2 but the A2 will have better throw... overall output I would give to the L2... due to flashlightreviews.com...

i carry right now the L2 as an EDC and its VERY comfortable in my side pocket with the clip.. just like a pocket knife... i used to have a 6P but didn't like its bulkiness and lack of a pocket clip... Even though the L2 is a little longer length has never been an issue to me when it comes to a flashlight... however a lot longer than the l2 and I wouldn't like it (obviously)...

depends on what your going to be doing with your flashlight... i know for sure that the 15lumens the l2 gives out on low output will blow away the 3 LED's the A2 has... for me when i'm walking i like to have a lot of light seeing where i'm going... the L2 will give you a lot of flood at 15lumens... it will easily light your path... and the 100lumen's is only a touch away...

i for one can't really get used to the idea of having to replace bulbed flashlights... i'm getting more used to it and i'll most likely go out and get a G2 with the LOTC sometime soon just for the fun of it...

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
Don't know if you purchased your EDC light yet but thought I would pitch in my 2 cents.

I recently had the chance to compare an A2, L2 and L4. The L2, although rated higher by Surefire on high than the L4 seemed to project the exact same beam in terms of the amount of light and throw.

I EDC an A2, and a TW4. The A2 will be more useful for EDC as its beam is more focused and works better for use in combined light/dark areas in daylight. Looking under desks for dropped items for example. The low on the A2 is much easier on dark adapted eyes.

If you are going to get both lights, and into Surefires, do yourself a favor and get the A2, an L4 with a 22ohm McE2s tailcap, and an E1e or Vital Gear body from Lighthound.com.

The L4 is a nicer package set up this way than the L2. The L4's regulation is built into the head and not the body. This allows you to run it as a one cell TW4 if you want a really small pocket flooder, or as a two cell for more intense flood. Great for camping, lighting up an entire room, etc.

I love the combination of the A2's intense beam for nighttime throw or daytime use, and the close to medium flood of the TW4. The two lights cover just about any situation you could come across, except the need for a huge amount of long range light.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
weaponlight said:
Don't know if you purchased your EDC light yet but thought I would pitch in my 2 cents.

I recently had the chance to compare an A2, L2 and L4. The L2, although rated higher by Surefire on high than the L4 seemed to project the exact same beam in terms of the amount of light and throw.

I EDC an A2, and a TW4. The A2 will be more useful for EDC as its beam is more focused and works better for use in combined light/dark areas in daylight. Looking under desks for dropped items for example. The low on the A2 is much easier on dark adapted eyes.

If you are going to get both lights, and into Surefires, do yourself a favor and get the A2, an L4 with a 22ohm McE2s tailcap, and an E1e or Vital Gear body from Lighthound.com.

The L4 is a nicer package set up this way than the L2. The L4's regulation is built into the head and not the body. This allows you to run it as a one cell TW4 if you want a really small pocket flooder, or as a two cell for more intense flood. Great for camping, lighting up an entire room, etc.

I love the combination of the A2's intense beam for nighttime throw or daytime use, and the close to medium flood of the TW4. The two lights cover just about any situation you could come across, except the need for a huge amount of long range light.

agreed... the L4 has a 5watt LED like the L2 so thats most likely where your getting the similar output's... if you compare the lux output on flashlightreviews.com their not that far from different... also if you go this round with the L4 you'll get a smaller package and be able to run rechargable li-ion's in it with no change in output... you can have the whole flashlight if bought in parts for about $100...

great interjection 'weaponlight'...

question though when you install the 22ohm or 30ohm resistoor tailcap does that have an effect on the l4's normal output? i've heard that when you sometimes use these tailcaps that it can hurt the high output's ability... is this true? or does it completely leave the normal high output alone?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would vote for the A2 w/ white LEDs, but I use it a lot for outdoor activities. The L2 has been a little more fun indoors, but it definitely will not throw like your scorpion. The A2 isn't really a wow light, it's just one of those lights that you really appreciate its subtle qualities after buying several dozen other lights. :)

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
weaponlight said:

What would you compare the amount of light from the TW4 with the 22 ohm tailcap to when running on low? Also, any idea of runtime. Im going to order a tailcap if I can ever remember to do it and am trying to figure out what resistor to get. Thanks for any info.

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds / GadgetTravel, Sorry I did not answer your posts sooner. Please remember I am in Iraq. I posted very late last night, then went to bed.

I have been very fortuneate to recieve as gifts from Wolfen and McGizmo two McE2s 22 ohm tailcaps for duty use. One a standard and one a flattop. The Standard went to another Soldier and now resides on his L4. jar3ds, it appears to have no affect on his L4's output on high, and gives a nice reduced output with longer runtime. I actually think the reduced level is better for close work. The Standard is kind of big but tailstands very well and allows a 'cigar' grip on the L4.

GadgetTravel, The TW4's light output with the 22 ohm cap when running on low is pretty good. A little higher than a old style L1 on low with a better beam. Good for reading maps and such without alot of light reflection back in your eyes.

Now I like alot of light on high and very little on low and this combo is perfect for me. The TW4 does not seem to have alot of combined runtime on primary 123's. If it stays on high, I get about 30-40 min. On low only I got about two hours. Combined the other night, fine on high but started blinking on low after about 20 min high runtime.

Now the rechargeable 123's are another story. The 4.2 volt cells really are much better in the TW4 and are what I mostly use now. I got good advise from Wolfen and had a set shipped to me. Brighter on both settings and does not seem to have the combined runtime problem, prob becouse because of the higher initial voltage.

ob1

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds,

I run a McE2S 22ohm switch on my L4 and I did not notice any difference on normal output.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
ob1 said:
jar3ds,

I run a McE2S 22ohm switch on my L4 and I did not notice any difference on normal output.

hum.. interesting... how much does the 22ohm switch bring the output to? to a A2's 3 LED's output... to a L2's low output? etc.

thanks!