Need New LED Flash Light...

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I currently have the Nuwai ALX-1213N (Rechargeable 1 Watt) Torch -
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/alx1213n.htm
it has served me well for the last year or so but I still find the throw a little lacking and the size a little too big.

I need another light, one of similar size but better throw, preferably rechargeable (as I use it very often for work) and durable.

I have been looking around on this forum and the Inova T3 takes my fancy, I know this takes the CR123 batteries but the 3.0V Rechargeable CR123 are now available so perhaps I can use them in the torch. However they are rated at 450mAh so I would expect to have to change fairly frequently.

Can anyone confirm that the inova T3 will have a much better throw than my ALX-1213N?

My budget would be around the price of the Inova T3, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately flashlightreviews.com hasn't reviewed the ALX-1213N, so it's hard to compare to other lights they have reviewed.

However the T3 is a good light, probably with significantly more throw. Other good throwing, yet compact LED lights:

Nuwai TM-115X:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm-115x.htm

Streamlight Scorpion LED:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_scorpionled.htm

Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

Re rechargeable R123s in the above, unfortunately this is not a standardized area, so no assumptions are possible. Each light's ability to handle the various brands/types of rechargeable cells must be investigated individually.

Because of the broken search function on this forum it's unfortunately difficult to search past postings about this. You can try to use Google and restrict the search domain to www.candlepowerforums.com, then examine the cached query results. Or you can post a new thread asking about rechargeable batteries in a specific light, or you can contact the manufacturer directly.

vic303

Enlightened
Or the Nuwai 'Big QIII' (TM301-x-3 (3w), or TM301-x (5w)). Both are available at amondotech.com, and the 301-x-3 is also at lighthound.

The Nuwai has a pocket clip, and scalloped bezel, AND 2 power levels (not in 5w version yet though).
The Inova has better throw per flashlight reviews, but the Nuwai 301 it pretty good and almost as much throw as the Inova XO3...

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the Pila rechargeable option for some of these lights. Their capacity is more that R123s IIRC. I use them in a number of my Inova lights.

-LT

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, but do these flashlights have a very good throw? I really need a flashlight with excellent throw but compact as I am a structural assessment engineer, I inspect structures at night on a regular basis.

Btw, this forum is really cool... liking it!

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Lunal_Tic said:
Don't forget the Pila rechargeable option for some of these lights. Their capacity is more that R123s IIRC. I use them in a number of my Inova lights.

-LT

Thanks Lunal, I have had a look at the Pila Battery reviews but apparently they have slightly lower voltages and hence lower output. So I guess this wouldn't be suitable for me.

Just out of interest, do you use the Pila batteries in an Inova T2/T3? How does it fit and perform?

The recharegable CR123A used to come in 3.6-3.7V but I have seen a new 3.0V 450mAh version now so may be this is my best bet.

vic303

Enlightened
From what I understand, the T3/XO3 Inovas have impressive throw for their size, but little sidespill. The Nuwai has less throw and more sidespill according to the flashlightreviews article.

If you need throw over spill, probably the Inova is a better choice. If you need spill in your work, the Nuwai or something else may work better for you.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
aceo07 said:
Have you considered the Nuwai Q3? It's smaller and will take R123.

Yep, I've also had a look at the Q3 but it doesn't have very good throw. I have a MXDL 3W torch which I use for close illumination as it is very small although it doesn't last very long.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
vic303 said:
From what I understand, the T3/XO3 Inovas have impressive throw for their size, but little sidespill. The Nuwai has less throw and more sidespill according to the flashlightreviews article.

If you need throw over spill, probably the Inova is a better choice. If you need spill in your work, the Nuwai or something else may work better for you.

Yeah, I have a feeling this would be the case, I just need to make sure that it has a much better throw than the ALX-1213N that I have but unfortunately this torch hasn't been reviewed by flashlightreviews.

I do like the T3 as the size is perfect and it is known for its throw. Its also available on Ebay so I can get it easily as I am in the UK.

Has anyone used a T3 with rechargeable CR123A batteries? What is the performance like?

Thanks!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova T3 has pretty good throw for an LED light. So does the Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA.

The Nuwai Q3, TM-301X-3, and TM-301X-5 are nice lights but don't have tremendous throw.

If you want real throw at a reasonable price, you must go incandescent. E.g, the Streamlight TL-3 has great throw and output:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_tactical.htm

However you often can't use rechargeable Li-IONs on an incandescent light. Don't know about the 3v RCR123As.

Re specific battery questions, you could post in the Electronics-Batteries section of this forum.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
CTR,

I posted about an X0 I ran on a Pila a while back. I haven't run any tests on the others but I don't recall them being bad with Pilas. I run them in everything I can.

A really great setup is a Aleph 3 with a 3 cell body running 2 Pilas. Two stage, good throw, and good runtime.

-LT

CTR

Newly Enlightened
thanks again guys, I've just read up in the batteries section about a new rechargeable 3.0V CR123 battery with 650mAh so I might consider it if I go ahead with the T3.

Just need someone to confirm that the throw of the T3 will be much better than the ALX-1213N (1 Watt 25-30 lumen) torch that I have.

joema, thanks for that but I would prefer a LED torch and a fairly small one as I find the one I have is still a little big.

Lemon328i

Newly Enlightened
You owe it to yourself to get a Fenix L1P (~$45) then. It is small, has an excellent throw and it runs on AA batteries. I've had mine for a full day now and along with a Peak HA3 3LED Matterhorn (~$35) it has become an EDC light! With the two, I'm completely covered on sidespill and long throw needs (60-100 feet). If I need even longer throw, I have a Surefire 6P (~$50?) fitted with a G&P 3W Luxeon drop-in lamp (~$30) tucked away in my briefcase.

Good luck in your search! You can never have too many lights.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
CTR said:
Just need someone to confirm that the throw of the T3 will be much better than the ALX-1213N (1 Watt 25-30 lumen) torch that I have.
Hard to be definitive about that, since the 1213N hasn't been reviewed by anybody who measured the throw.

However the T3 has pretty good throw for an LED light. The SL PP Lux 4AA is a little better, but they're both pretty good.

The T3 output/throw numbers are similar to the SL Scorpion LED, which I've used. It's a nice throwing light.

Re the Fenix L1P, I have three of them. It's a great light but the T3, Scorpion LED, and SL PP Lux 4AA all out power and out throw it.

Flashlightreviews hasn't tested it yet, but word is the new Pelican 3 watt M6 is a real thrower. However it's about $100.

I was under my house today with a building inspector and I used several different lights. Like you I love LED lights but if that was my job I'd use a big throwing incandescent like a ST TL-3, SL Scorpion, or Pelican M6.

capriman86

Newly Enlightened
CTR said:
thanks again guys, I've just read up in the batteries section about a new rechargeable 3.0V CR123 battery with 650mAh so I might consider it if I go ahead with the T3.

joema, thanks for that but I would prefer a LED torch and a fairly small one as I find the one I have is still a little big.

How come nobody mentions the T4 ? I am thinking about getting it myself.
I see its rechargable and all? Is it alot bigger is that the issue?
Just curious...

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T4 is a good light, but it's significantly longer and heavier than the T3 and produces no more output.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
capriman86 said:
How come nobody mentions the T4 ? I am thinking about getting it myself.
I see its rechargable and all? Is it alot bigger is that the issue?
Just curious...

Hi Capriman86, I've also considered the T4 but find it a little long, ideally I would like something that is around the size of an AA Mag. This is because I already carry a lot of equipment with me when I do my inspections. I have a headtorch which floods up to around 5-10m.

Also although Inova rate the T4 at 100 lumens (i.e. higher than the T3), it doesn't shed any more light than the T3 according to the reviews. But I have considered it as it will save me having to buy a separate charger and batteries.

As the ALX-1213N hasn't been reviewed, perhaps I should take some photos of the beam compared to my AA Mag and MXDL 3W so others could give me some idea on whether the T3 will have a better throw?

taiji

Enlightened
hello CTR,

PM'd.

If you ever find a LEDXtreme Predator, go for it. The predator out throws the XO3/T3 on 2 cr123's.

Markcm's 3.0v 650 maH rechargeables works great in the XO3/T3 although you get half the run time at full power.

Last edited:

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, this is what you need...

IMG_3540s.jpg

IMG_3542s.jpg

IMG_3544s.jpg

IMG_3545s.jpg

IMG_3546s.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-3W-Luxeon-...1QQcmdZViewItem