USL ARRIVES! BEAMSHOTS!

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's still not completely dark so I have to wait about another hour before creating beamshots outside. I'll be posting my feedback on the light tonight. Here is what I received: USL (black), charger, power supply, charger leads, extra cotter pins, 4 100W bulbs.

usl.arrives.jpg

You know what you're looking at and it appears to be built very well with no loose parts. I kinda wished the cotter pin could be chained onto the guard so I don't lose it. Thanks for the extra pins, Bill.

So do you want beamshots of my street and neighbors house or should I burn some stuff? What ever I do, I'm going to test the runtime with the charge the batteries had when it arrived.

Jeff

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: USL ARRIVES!

Oh man, that's fantastic, xpitxbullx.

I've read so much about this light and now to see is great. It's neat that it is in keeping with the sleeper tradition of automobiles. The only thing giving it away is the pin pull for the hood.

Sweet!

---------------

- Jeff

Last edited:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

In preparation of my beamshots...

...my Polaris is charged and ready to go head2head against the USL. My Mag85, however, is not charged up. How about Thor, X990, or my Mag2HID?

I think I'm going to do runtime tests later. We already know what the runtime is anyways.

Jeff

baylisstic

Enlightened

270winchester said:
Let's just say you will have to squint to find where the mag85 went....hehe...

Holy crap! The mag85 itself isn't dim by any means. How about a headlight vs. USL also. Beamshots, please!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

xpitxbullx,

Please make sure you plug that charger into the power supply and DON'T plug the charging cable into the power supply!!

The retaining pin can easily be attached by looping a rubber keeper in front of the guard and below the head.

I've been looking for a supply of nice looking ones, but no luck so far. A rubber band works great, though and is cheap!!

OK, it's dark!!

PS, did you get the charging directions PM I sent?

Bill

Last edited:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

bwaites said:
xpitxbullx,

Please make sure you plug that charger into the power supply and DON'T plug the charging cable into the power supply!!

OK, it's dark!!

Bill

Yes, I received your charging instructions. My first charge will take place later tonight.

Oh man, I can see how someone can make that mistake. You can bet I won't make that mistake.

OK! I'm off to take a real world beamshot of the USL, Polaris (75W), Thor and my cars high beams. Wish me luck on not burning anything down.

Jeff

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just realized it sitting here looking at your pic.

I'm going to make a change or two to make sure that doesn't happen.

Since everybody is probably following this thread, I'll post a little info about charging here, then in a special charging thread also.

NiMH charge using the Triton:

Set battery type to NiMH
Rate: .8 to 1.2 amps (???) or up to 2 amps for a rapid charge
Peak Delay at start: 6 min.
Temp cutoff: 120 F
No. cycles: 1
Sensitivity: 3 mV
Top off: 100 mA

MAKE SURE TO PLUG THE CHARGING CABLE BANANA PLUGS INTO THE CHARGER BEFORE PLUGGING IT INTO THE PACK!

Otherwise, if YOU plug the pack end in first, and the banana plugs touch: *ZAP* they will get 30 amps through the tiny micro-fit terminals.

For the temp probe, I removed the sliding leg entirely and was able to push the probe between the pack and the body wall, with black part towards pack. This worked well for me, but you might check it out with the production run USL's. Perhaps something is slightly different.

For the HiTec charger:

Set to NiMH charge by pushing that button.

The HiTec, while highly recommended, does not have the sophisticated cycle programming that the Triton does. (DUH!)

Charging at .5 amps is prudent while you get used to the way the pack charges. The HiTec will make the pack warmer than the Triton, but if you find that it is HOT while charging, shut it off. As you make more cycles, you will find a happy medium, but remember, heat while charging a pack is a bad thing, the hotter the pack is while charging, the shorter the pack life.

IF you have to charge it fast, keep an eye on the temp.

Bill

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

BEAMSHOTS!!!!!!

Now remember that I suck with taking beamshots but something is better than nothing. Also note that there was a lot more sidespill than the camera shows.

usl.beamshots.jpg

Jeff

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

So for the HiTech charger, you don't want us to set it on the NiCD? aren't these NiCD batteries?

Jeff

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are pretty good shots, Jeff! The amount of spill is amazing, isn't it? I just about drove myself crazy with the prototype, tryiing to capture what the USL really looks like.

Now that the USL's are shipping out, maybe we can have our own version of the "lighting of the beacons" scene from the LOTR's Return of the King!

Someone needs to determine how far away a USL can be seen. Not that such a measurement means anything...every time I see a commercial for a light that "can be seen over a mile away", I think, how many people buy a light based on how far away it can be seen? Unless it's to be used for signalling, who cares? Still, inquiring minds are curious.

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Codeman said:
Now that the USL's are shipping out, maybe we can have our own version of the "lighting of the beacons" scene from the LOTR's Return of the King!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH... :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Yer gonna make me wet myself waiting for the USL!!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not quite sure that I've posted on this before and, I've somewhat out of commission with some things going on recently but......(and forgive the lo-tech question)...how long a bulb expectancy should I be looking for? As well, I believe I am getting an extra and when it (they) give up the ghost, am I going to have any difficulty getting extras?

Karl