Surefire L2 LED Tint

rmacias

Enlightened
I just received my Surefire L2 and I'm a little disappointed in the light color. This is my second L2 and when compared to the original one I bought a year ago you can see the difference. The output is not as bright and it has a yellow / green tint to it. My first L2 has a flawless bright white beam. Is this common variance between LED flashlights or should I send it back?

RJM

Flashlight Enthusiast
rmacias said:
I just received my Surefire L2 and I'm a little disappointed in the light color. This is my second L2 and when compared to the original one I bought a year ago you can see the difference. The output is not as bright and it has a yellow / green tint to it. My first L2 has a flawless bright white beam. Is this common variance between LED flashlights or should I send it back?

RJM

Its common to have some variance.

Unless its fermenting rotten green cat urine color, i usually just keep the light.

I've been lucky with the Lux V Surefires, no tint issues.

I've had the biggest problem with tint issues with Longbows--vile cat urine greens, Surefire KL1 / L1 (New style Lux III--rainbow colored tints), and L1 (Old style Low Dome-- usually blue or purple tints) the green tints irritates me off the most though.

rmacias

Enlightened
357 said:
Its common to have some variance.

Unless its fermenting rotten green cat urine color, i usually just keep the light.

I've been lucky with the Lux V Surefires, no tint issues.

I've had the biggest problem with tint issues with Longbows--vile cat urine greens, Surefire KL1 / L1 (New style Lux III--rainbow colored tints), and L1 (Old style Low Dome-- usually blue or purple tints) the green tints irritates me off the most though.

The tint is not a puke green urine color but more like a off white with green tint. If I didn't have the other L2 for comparison I would have never noticed the difference. I thought it might be variation betwen LED's but just wanted to confirm. I would have liked it match my first L2 as a bright white beam but I can live with it. Thanks for reply.

RJM

rmacias

Enlightened
jar3ds said:
curious.... why did you buy a 2nd L2?

The reason is because I enjoy my first L2 so much that I had to have a second one to keep in my truck. I use my L2 for everything since it's such an awesome light. I also picked up an E1L for the wife's SUV and she has been playing with it since we got home. These little torches are addicting.

RJM

rmacias

Enlightened
Another question:

Does anyone know why Surefire changed the housing on the newest L2's? My new L2 has a round housing while the previous has a 4-flat housing. The round housing feels bigger in the hand.

RJM

Flashlight Enthusiast
rmacias said:
The tint is not a puke green urine color but more like a off white with green tint. If I didn't have the other L2 for comparison I would have never noticed the difference. I thought it might be variation betwen LED's but just wanted to confirm. I would have liked it match my first L2 as a bright white beam but I can live with it. Thanks for reply.

RJM

Yep, variation between LEDs. Compare two leds, and you will almost aways see some tint variation--one looking more white than the other often. even a very white looking tint will look off when compared to an even whiteer tint....

I tend to find pink tints to be the least offensive, as they are very subtle....most of the green tints otoh are so obvious that it can be seen even without comparing to another lights......

We can only hope that some day leds will be so perfected that tints will be a thing of the past a history that is.

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
curious.... why did you buy a 2nd L2?

for me, i get several of each model i like because i want backups, all things break and/or fail, and if one is being fixed i like the idea of having a backup availabable

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
my l4 had the poor light-green tint and I didn't notice it until i compared it with my u2. It really paled in comparison !! I sent it back and am awaiting my next led from the lottery... I think most people just live with the light they receive especially if they don't have another led to compare it to. But I feel if a company is going to advertise a "flawless white beam" and charge what they charge, I want it to have as little "tint" as possible. With that said, I think SF is a great company with fantastic Cust. serv. and I will continue to purchase their products. (And anxiously awaiting the demise of the "led lottery")

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2 has just the faintest hint of green to it. Not noticable unless it's compared to other Lux V's. Funny thing is I've decided that I actually like it with the hint of green. (I have a problem with lights that are too blue).

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had purchased 3 L2's earlier this year and all 3 had different tints. Mine had the best/whitest tint, my friends had a very slight yellow/greenish tint, and my brothers was the worst, greenest out of all of them and had a ugly hole in the middle.

Surefire has replaced my brother's L2 head and it is white (well slightly blue) and has no donut hole.

My L2 has been sold and I currently have a U2. These Surefire's and small lights are addicting.

rmacias

Enlightened
Here is are some photos of the LED's from my L2's. This is the one that produces the white beam.

OriginalL2.jpg

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats interesting that his donut hole is gone...