why so many surefire's for sale?

billgr

Newly Enlightened
i always see a ton of surefires for sale in BST. i have never owned one, and many people say they are the best. if so, why do so many people want to sell them?

Bill

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
Surefire makes so many great lights that some people will buy them, fool with them for awhile, then sell or trade for a different one. Also, sometimes a light is purchased and then the owner finds a different model will fit their needs better.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like weaponlight said, it's a natural evolution here that folks buy lights and play with them for a while, then set their eyes on one that is just a little more expensive and sell the ones they have to finance the new purchase. And the cycle continues again and again because there are always new products and technology coming out.
I have to say that B/S/T is really what makes this hobby work for most of us. We can buy lights cheaper than retail as well as sell lights pretty close to what we paid for them. That means we end up having the same lights change a lot of hands, but that is all part of the culture of the hobby here.
If it weren't for B/S/T I probably would have never handled half the lights I have, and it would have been a much slower process to discover for myself what my likes and dislikes are. :)

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
And...

Some people gather large collections and just decide to sell some off to get some fast cash. They often have several of the same model, too. Or they discover that, out of their 10 Surefires, 1 or 2 of them just don't get used, so they go up for sale. Or they just come to love other particular models so much that they become loyal to them, and decide others might as well go (sounds like a relationship!).

WDR65

Enlightened
I don't exactly have a lot of Surefire's but at one point earlier this month I had 8 and a lot of accessories. I really didn't need all of them at this point and some of them were redundant with the same bulb system or output and I've come to realize which models I really like from Surefire and which ones I can use other lights to replace. I now have four and intend to order another model next week. I might cycle through these also, but I doubt it as these fit the bill of what I need for hunting/general use/fishing, etc. .

I have moved up though as I started with a G2 and quickly bought several E2e's and E2d's. As I went up in the product line I sold off the ones that I didn't use anymore and funded parts of my next purchase. Eventually I'd like to have a few more of the cheaper ones that I used to have, but the ones I have now are more useful for the moment.

That's just my take on it and its good that they hold their value fairly well and so many people keep getting into buying them that there has been no trouble selling the old ones. As of right now I own four that I do not intend to sell, one older style A2 with white led's (my favorite), an older style E2d with a black KL1, a new style E2o, and a C3 in HA. I use all of them and plan to keep doing so unless something really impressive comes along in the future.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Particularly SF did not live up to expectations, the post I have seen. Bear in mind their are other reasons too. SureFire demands a lot of money for their lights, whether they are worth it or not that is probably up for debate. The way I figure, the money you pay for a SureFire I would not expect anything less than perfect and that is what I feel personally SureFire fails to deliver. You hear of the annoying buzzing sound from L2. Sorry, for $165 I myself would not care to or settle for that buzzing sound. How about the annoying donut hole in the LUX V? Sorry again I don't buy the fact that it is something you are going to have to live with just because the way the dies are grouped together. My $59 Nuwai 352 has no donut hole and it is a LUX V. You are probably thinking by reading my post that I am bashing SF's. I am not, one day I hope to own one.

Dave

In my opinion, Surefire is the cream of the crop for mass-produced (non-custom) flashlights. While customer service is occassionally suspect, the products themselves are generally top-rate.

I think the primary reason that there are alot of Surefires on B/S/T and other locales is quite simply that there are alot of Surefires out there. Period. There are so many Surefire products, and so many different versions of their products, that there is naturally going to be a large market and alot of activity for them. Katokichi Ishishiki, Mr. Bulk, McGizmo and other custom producers create exceptional products, but their market share is so much smaller that you simply don't see them as often as you do Surefires.

A secondary reason is that Surefire produced an incredible number of high quality incandescent lights prior to their (somewhat late) entree into LEDs. Many people are simply converting their old incan's into LED's, creating even more Surefire sales.

cy

Flashaholic
dad's right on as usual!

lot's of Surefire trading activity is most desirable.

when I first started getting into high end lights. one of main reasons I justified spending large $$ for Surefire and Arc was stable resale value.

sure resale value is always going to veri some. if you can purchase a nice Surefire light. play with it to your heart's content. then sell it later for a tiny loss or break-even.

I call that cheap cost of big boy toys :D

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire light bulbs are real expensive and once the wonder of a 20 minite HOLA wears off.....

Thats why I got a Dominator instead of M6- rechargable.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you check listings for used camera bodies and lenses, you often find more Nikons than any other brand. Not because Nikon is second-rate; because it's so popular.