Vital Gear F2 Flashlight with a P61 drop-in!

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
The mailman brought me another new goodie this morning...

I ordered the Vital Gear F2 Flashlight from Lighthound and asked him to exchange the 65 lumens stock bulb with the 120 lumens P61 drop-in (which fits perfectly). I had told John (Lighthound) that I was thinking of purchasing the necessary Surefire extension and head, that would enable me to use the P61 with an L4 body. But John suggested that I might instead want to try out the F2...which accepts the P61 assembly. Not only does the F2 handle the P61 no problem, but it's a good bit shorter than the Surefire combo I had originally planned. And with the usual Vital Gear "clickie", crenalated tail, the F2 is able to stand on end for candle mode (unlike the Surefire).
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/vitalgear.php

I've only had a short time to play with the F2...But like the FB1 body, which I've been using with a KL4 head (and like very much), the 4.9" F2 flashlight is very well made...and with the P61 module in place, this puppy kicks butt!!! :twothumbs

I'll report back once it gets dark, and I've had more time to play with this very cool light. :D

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the runtime with the p61 bulb? What about using PROTECTED R123 with the P91? Would that not work?

What is the runtime of the P91?

How is this light compared to the likes of the Pelican M6? Is it brighter, longer running etc?

Thanks

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I haven't timed it, but according to Flashlight Reviews, the 2x123, C2 or the M2 with a P61 bulb, have a 20 minute runtime (those 120 lumens really suck up the juice). Surefire also states that the P61 is good for 20 minutes...so I guess it's so. ;)

I received a P90 today, which should give much better runtime (about 1 hr) but with somewhat less light, but still quite bright (105 lumens)... I've yet to try that in the F2 head (in place of the P61). I'm gonna try and get to that before I head up to bed.

I don't know if the P91's will work with 2X Protected R123's. I do know that using any sort of rechargeable with the P61 will immediately burn out the bulb...or so I was told by John (lighthound).

I don't know enought about the M6 to help you with that question.

seattlite

Enlightened
cue003 said:
What is the runtime with the p61 bulb? What about using PROTECTED R123 with the P91? Would that not work?

How is this light compared to the likes of the Pelican M6? Is it brighter, longer running etc?

Thanks
From my understanding, the PROTECTED RCR123's protection circuit will prevent the LA from lighting due to the voltage drop.

lexina

Enlightened
cue003 said:

Thanks

I have been able to run a GP90 with 2 protected 750mAh 123 cells for 35mins on my 6P.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
So true. (I didn't mean to resurrect a Dinosaur.)The F2 flashlight uses a standard Vital Gear FB2 body. Vital Gear bodies, like the FB2, FB1, (both mentioned in the first post)and the FB3, are still available, and this thread points out some of their quality characteristics. With the advent of the LED drop-in, these Vital Gear bodies deserve a second look.

Last edited:

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vital Gear bodies, like the FB2, FB1, (both mentioned in the first post)and the FB3, are still available, and this thread points out some of their quality characteristics.
The FB2 flashlight mentioned in the first six posts of this (5yr old) thread will also tailstand and they are fitted with an aspheric (projector type) lens. The F2 was manufactured in black and HA,(Thanks, Raoul_Duke) and the FB2 body it uses is available the two varieties, black and a hard anodized natural as well. The new version of the flashlight discussed in this thread is the Vital Gear FL2, which uses an LED head with the same thrower lens.
vg5103.jpg
vg5105.jpg

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new version of the flashlight discussed in this thread is the Vital Gear FL2, which uses an LED head with the same thrower lens.
So the FL2 has an actual head, and not a bezel housing a P60/D26-compatible drop-in?

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Realy I though the FL2 was an FB2 with an led dropin, but I didnt know about them untill you offered some up last year. The FL2 may be only in black, but the F2 (Incan) was in Black and HA. I have both. ( they just forgot to do a 3 cell black body :ohgeez: )

I best get me a FL2 to see whats what.