SureFire G2 or Another SF?

TorchMan

Enlightened
I'm thinking about going down to the sporting goods store tonight or tomorrow and pick up one of these. Not sure if they'll have the P61 lamp assembly there or not, but I plan on picking one up if they do. I don't recall seeing any reliablity issues with these. It wouldn't be a huge expenditure (See how my purchase thinking is altered from a couple months back?LOL) and I really like them and the price.

Is there another SF I should consider for some reason, even if it's say, twenty bucks more? Am I sacrificing modularity (I hope that's a real word, if not you know what I mean) by going with the polymer? Not sure it's a big concern, really.

In other words; Pros and cons?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider the regular 6P, the aluminum version of the same thing. It has a lot more options shown on SureFire's web site:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/889/sesent/00

The 6P would allow the new KL3 or KL5 LED heads, TurboHead, a clickie lockout tailcap, and (I think) an extender that allows the use of 3 cells instead of 2.

The G2 page doesn't show those. Both lights can be converted to a longer rechargeable version. I think they also both can use the Bugout Gear drop-in LED modules.

Wasn't there going to be a lock-out tailcap (LOTC) for the G2?

Scott

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 does allow all these options. The threads and dimensions are the same. Sure, the metal tailcap and the HA3 heads look funny on the nitrolon body, but they'll work. (There might be some heat issues with the really high output options.)

WDR65

Enlightened
There is a lock out tailcap version of the G2 out. Some stores and dealers might have old stock without the new tailcap as most of the stores around here haven't rotated through their stock yet I don't believe.

You can use most of the accessories listed above on the G2, but the A19 cell extender to make it into a 3 cell light may not work without modification. Mine would not work on my G2. Also with the G2 the lexan lens might melt while using a high output lamp like the P61, P90, P91 unless replaced with a glass lens.

The 6P would probably make a lot of sense, b/c you would have so many options as far as color matching interchangebility. From the KL3 LED heads to the turboheads that match and fit and even the rechargable kit. Also it already has a glass or pyrex window, so melting shouldn't be a problem.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies, I'm now leaning toward the 6P. I have on hold a G2 and P61 LA. I'm leaving in about twentyminutes or less. Has anyone had a G2 melt the lexan with a P61? I'm thinking since SF shows that LA as an option, it shouldn't. The P90 and P91 might be different stories though.

Based on all these comments, it would seem a good idea to ante up twenty bucks and get a P6. Provided they have it... :grin2:

TorchMan

Enlightened
No P6s left in stock. Dang, I'll guess I'll just have to buy one of those down the line!:naughty:

I did get a G2 in OD. It's got the LOTC, as far as I can tell anyway, because I can lock it out. I have not yet put the P61LA in, I'm gonna play around with the P60 first.

How they tempted me with interest free one year financing on the 10x and M6! I may be buying lights like there's no tomorrow, but I'm not ready for bankruptcy just yet. My wallet isn't screaming anymore either. It's on it's back, with shallow resperation. Queue the flatline sound. Clear... :laughing:

Me, the G2, the Pelican M6 Lithium and the SL TT 2L are going to out to enjoy some of what's passing for cooler fall weahter around her lately.

EDIT: The Pelican M6 Lith seems to have the best throw. The P60 assembly competes with it well, being slightly outdone. The P61 is more of a flood, doesn't quite throw as well as the Pelican M6, and I'm not even sure it out throws the the P60. It does light up more area of the back yard.

I'd say the P60 is slightly whiter in color than the Pelican M6, and the P61 is still a tad whiter than that.

New light. Ah, what a rush. I like it!

Last edited: